A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

2019 A6 (CI) - Bottom rows of buttons on lower touchscreen non-responsive

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default 2019 A6 (CI) - Bottom rows of buttons on lower touchscreen non-responsive

Has anyone with the new 2019 A6 (C8) experienced issues with the bottom row of virtual buttons on the lower touchscreen not being responsive?? It seems to happen to my system randomly at times, and the only way I know to fix it is by turning off my car completely with doors locked, let it sit for 5-10 minutes and restart car.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Noggy_Allrad
I would bring it to the dealer if it continues to happen. Document all the issues with a phone if possible, so you can show the dealer and they can send it to audi for further analysis and repair.
Yep. Have two different videos of it happening. Will bring it in again this week. Brought in last week to one dealer but they couldn’t duplicate, so said couldn’t do anything. Going try different dealer.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had an issue with my previous car (C6) several years ago... A/C wouldn't work because the OAT sensor would randomly read ~ 45 F in the summer + 95 F outside (and in)! Took it to the dealer and they couldn't duplicate it. So I went a few weeks with it happening when I least wanted (of course only when the dealer was closed). Finally, I got back from an out of town trip and got in my car at the airport and it happened. I drove right then and there to the dealer, did not turn it off, and the service tech was finally able to see what I was seeing. Until then the OBD wouldn't even latch a fault. Tech hooked up the computer (engine still running) and logged the fault. They then ordered a new sensor on the spot. (Not something that was kept in stock).

I wish you luck in fixing the problem. Please keep everyone informed if you reach a solution.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TulsaTime
Finally, I got back from an out of town trip and got in my car at the airport and it happened. I drove right then and there to the dealer, did not turn it off, and the service tech was finally able to see what I was seeing. Until then the OBD wouldn't even latch a fault. Tech hooked up the computer (engine still running) and logged the fault. They then ordered a new sensor on the spot. (Not something that was kept in stock).

I wish you luck in fixing the problem. Please keep everyone informed if you reach a solution.
Got car back from, and while they fixed one issue (moonroof), they couldn’t duplicate the lower touch screen issue, even after provided the video. Service advisor said they believe it may be an issue when the lower screen is initially booting up and not loading properly. But because they couldn’t log any error codes associated with the screen and couldn’t duplicate issue at this time, they can’t order new screen per Audi. —sigh— They did say if you keep recording different instances and report it back, that can establish a case history and then justify to Audi to order replacement part.

End of day, looks like i will have to keep documenting issue for now. Luckily only happens rarely. If anyone else experience this issue, please let me know.

Last edited by ONI1013; 02-16-2019 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes. I hate how they do nothing unless they actually see it. I’ve had issues in my cars that I caught on video and even pulled error codes of using OBDEleven but by the time I go near my dealer (which is like 1.5hrs away), it’s usually a while and the error codes get cleared and they say they can’t work with videos or screenshots and they have to actually see it happen to fix it. Crazy.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Without “on board diagnostics” or not being able to duplicate the issue, it is impossible to fix without just replacing everything that is associated with the problem. Of course, that could be a lot of software and hardware so everybody associated with engineering maintenance and bean counting is very reluctant to help fix an issue. This applies to just about everything from a toaster to the space shuttle but touchscreens can be sensitive to numerous issues from the weather to human capacitance.
One of the reasons that touchscreens suck in just about every application except for, maybe, an iPad but especially for a car.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DB22
Without “on board diagnostics” or not being able to duplicate the issue, it is impossible to fix without just replacing everything that is associated with the problem. Of course, that could be a lot of software and hardware so everybody associated with engineering maintenance and bean counting is very reluctant to help fix an issue. This applies to just about everything from a toaster to the space shuttle but touchscreens can be sensitive to numerous issues from the weather to human capacitance.
One of the reasons that touchscreens suck in just about every application except for, maybe, an iPad but especially for a car.
Indeed. So next time my screen goes out, going take video and drive straight to dealer.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ONI1013

Indeed. So next time my screen goes out, going take video and drive straight to dealer.
If you live near Ingostadt then drop it off at the head office, they may have a clue.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DB22

If you live near Ingostadt then drop it off at the head office, they may have a clue.
Yeah I’m a little far from there. Only about 6,000 miles away in California, US. Lol.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ONI1013

Yeah I’m a little far from there. Only about 6,000 miles away in California, US. Lol.
put the info under your logon name. I have a hard time remembering the locations of all the posters who don’t know that location is important.

Quick Reply: 2019 A6 (CI) - Bottom rows of buttons on lower touchscreen non-responsive