A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

2019 a6 panoramic roof noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Technical Assistance Center hold
Old 02-03-2019, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Just picked up my A6 C8 2 weeks ago. Didn’t notice any creaks/noise at test drive, but creaks started about one week later. At first, noise only occurred during pulling out of drive ways and turns with inclines where car flexes, but by second week, noise has gone progressively worse. Creaks and popping noise happening at straightaways and when going over slight bumps in road now. Car currently only has 800 miles.

Brought to Audi shop foreman for test drive and he immediately diagnosed as moonroof assembly frames not being properly insulated, but fix requires taking down entire headliner. He says he’s done this with the A6 C7s. Have it scheduled to be done this week, but curious if anyone else has successfully gotten their C8 fixed yet.

Last edited by ONI1013; 02-03-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What area of the country are you from? What dealer? Mine seems to be worse when the temp is in 40s or higher. Scheduled for next week for felt insulation. Headliner has to come out. Let me know .
Old 02-04-2019, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Edbalz
What area of the country are you from? What dealer? Mine seems to be worse when the temp is in 40s or higher. Scheduled for next week for felt insulation. Headliner has to come out. Let me know .

I’ve only own this for 2 weeks now and temps in January in Southern California (upper Los Angeles area) has been around 50-60 F. Dealer I’m taking it to is Audi Valencia. I’ve felt around and pushed up slightly in headliner and noticed the culprit is in the rear part of the sunroof (right behind front passenger side). When I press into headliner on that side, I can duplicate exact noise, but surprisingly, when I press on the headliner near driver side rear sunroof, no noise. So hopefully they can see the difference in insulation on both sides and maybe make sure both properly insulated.
Not going lie. Really worried going make it worse, given this is a new built and shop foreman haven’t taken down the A6C8 headliners yet. But noise is ridiculously unbearable for me now. Squeaks constantly just going straight down mildly bumpy residential streets now at low speeds. I’ll let you know how it goes. Please keep me updated with yours too. Good luck.

Last edited by ONI1013; 02-04-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thx for info. I’m in nj. Same symptoms and location as yours. Also get some front of roof popping when it’s cold. Mostly quiet on highway though. Mine is going in on Monday. I also am not happy about the idea of tearing the thing apart but the noise is driving me nuts. For what it’s worth I drove another car before I purchased and it did the same thing. I thought is was a fluke. Obviously not.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thx for info. I’m in nj. Same symptoms and location as yours. Also get some front of roof popping when it’s cold. Mostly quiet on highway though. Mine is going in on Monday. I also am not happy about the idea of tearing the thing apart but the noise is driving me nuts. For what it’s worth I drove another car before I purchased and it did the same thing. I thought is was a fluke. Obviously not.
So just spoke to the shop foreman where I originally picked up the car (different than my local Audi dealer), and he said he has been resolving these noise issues with the new A6s and Audi is aware of problem but hasn’t formally issued TSB for the A6-C8 yet, but has provided authorization letter to dealers to proceed with fix until then. Interestingly, the fix required only removing the glass sunroof and wind deflector and insulating the assembly from the top. No headliner removal required per foreman. I have to drive 70 miles south to get it done but I rather first take conservative approach with someone who’s actually had reported success with the new A6s. Scheduled for next week. Will let you guys know.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great thx. Did audi advise to do the top down repair or was it a dealership call vs the headliner approach?
Old 02-06-2019, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Great thx. Did audi advise to do the top down repair or was it a dealership call vs the headliner approach?
Not entirely clear what Audi official word is, but he made it sound like the top down approach is what will be the on the pending official Bulletin — he estimated 5-6 months. I will ask him specifically next week when I bring it in. Supposedly, he’s done this fix to other 2019 A6s and A8s already with success. That, I did ask specifically. Apparently this is a known thing coming up now. So fingers crossed that will be the extent of the work needed.

—————
By the way, off topic here but are you experiencing any other issues? Like Auto Headlights not turning off properly in bright broad daylight? I just might be the unluckiest person in world, but my car is also having that issue. I’m on another thread dealing with that as well. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...2964254/page3/. It’s a A4 thread but I can’t find another person with same issue with the new 2019 A6-C8s. PM if you do. Don’t want to hijack this thread.

Last edited by ONI1013; 02-06-2019 at 06:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
vlad.sev (03-27-2023)
Old 02-06-2019, 06:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have not noticed that light issue but I do have a starting issue where many days you need to force brake pedal to floor to get the car to start.

Can you you send me a private message with your dealership info and foreman contact as mine is going in Monday and I I will discuss with foreman.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thx for info. I’m in nj. Same symptoms and location as yours. Also get some front of roof popping when it’s cold. Mostly quiet on highway though. Mine is going in on Monday. I also am not happy about the idea of tearing the thing apart but the noise is driving me nuts.
Hi Ed. Did you ever take your car in yesterday? And if so, what was the results? I’m scheduled to bring mine in to look at the moonroof (top-down approach) tomorrow and curious if they fixed yours? Surprisingly, it’s been really cold here last week and noise has dissipated greatly, but still want to take it in.

Quick Reply: 2019 a6 panoramic roof noise