A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

2019 a6 panoramic roof noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Edbalz

Have not noticed that light issue but I do have a starting issue where many days you need to force brake pedal to floor to get the car to start.

Can you you send me a private message with your dealership info and foreman contact as mine is going in Monday and I I will discuss with foreman.
Sounds like I am having the same issues you had/are having. Took the car in once for sunroof noise on turns/inclines. They used felt tape which help eliminate about 75% of the noise. Also having an issue with having to force the brake pedal to the floor to start the car. Were you able to get that resolved?
Old 10-05-2019, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So happy to know I'm not alone! I've only had my 2016 A6 for a month, and the sunroof creaking is driving me nuts. I live in Portland, Oregon, so will see what my dealer says, and will bring up the "top down" approach. Also have the brake force issue--happened on my first test-drive, and I just figured I was doing something wrong. Nope!
Old 10-06-2019, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 178 Likes on 158 Posts

FYI this forum is for the late 2018 onwards (C8 platform) version of the A6, your car is a Facelift C7 version of the car
Old 10-06-2019, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by John Simcox
FYI this forum is for the late 2018 onwards (C8 platform) version of the A6, your car is a Facelift C7 version of the car
Big typo on my part. Meant 2019. Now just need to figure out this website to correct that error.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi All. I'm new to the Audi world. I've always loved the styling, performance and luxury and so I finally decided to pull the trigger. I bought my 2019 (C8) A6 Premium Plus in late December 2019. On my way home after driving it off the lot I took my brother for a ride. One leg of the trip had a slow hilly twisted bend. When going through that section, there was torsion on the body and the headliner began its creaking noises, exactly as described here by others. Immediately I reached up and pushed on the lip of the headliner that abuts the rearmost part of the panoramic roof opening. I could easily reproduce the sound, and then I told my brother, yeah, they'll be fixing that or I'll shoot myself! But of course I decided to wait as I didn't want my car to be the experimentation candidate and figured it would take awhile until there was a properly engineered fix. To be honest, I had bad dreams of someone trying to pull down the headliner and causing damage and who knows what new gremlins, noises or otherwise, will be introduced. Anyhow, I just joined up here and quickly found that I'm not the only one as expected. It's good to hear that there could be a fix that may be done from the top and does not require headliner removal. My car is going in soon for its first 10K service and so I'm eager to hear the diagnosis and proposed solution. I'll post my experience here.

As an aside, I absolutely love this car so far but unfortunately I'll be on this forum a lot as I've many other issues to search for and/or ask others, does anyhow else have this issue? Some quick examples: right headlight washer fluid comes on randomly, so much so that it empties the reservoir in record time, smoked/black lexan cover over the area where I assume the heads-up display projects through rattles at a certain resonance frequency when accelerating heavily, found a rubber body sealing plug in my driveway recently so there is likely a hole exposed in the body underneath, the drivetrain has a very disappointing 100k-mile-bad-u-joint-like play/clunk when going between P ==> D ==> N ==> R and the car has drifted a bit to release the load ion the drivetrain etc (I have a gut feeling this one may be designed-in and if so, I'll be really sad), the accelerator pedal makes an annoying clicking/knocking sound when you release it fast, once in a great while I'm at a red light and the engine randomly stumbles like it's got bad timing and makes a noise, almost like a good old american A/C compressor does when it kicks on. And then there is the damn remote control - I opened my trunk unknowingly 4 times in the last 8 months by just having the remote in my pocket, I think because of the center location plus raised/radiused profile of the trunk button on the remote. One time it was even raining but luckily it was not for long and I had the polypropylene liner in there. I'm totally paranoid wherever I go now, especially if I locked my work bag with my computer inside in there. Luckily I always park in dent free spots in never never land, so it's far enough away while I'm in a store or restaurant. Anyhow, to be fair, note that I've not taken it in for any of these things yet as I was waiting for the TSB knowledge base to build up. But that time has come - I am scheduled for them to look at most of these soon but for some of the more intermittent ones, I need to find a way to readily reproduce it or record the event or something. Like I said, overall I still love love this car. I'm the patient type and I also know it's a new design so I'm going to give them a chance to make it right.
The following users liked this post:
GR8PAR (01-02-2020)
Old 10-21-2019, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by sawqaudi
Hi All. I'm new to the Audi world. I've always loved the styling, performance and luxury and so I finally decided to pull the trigger. I bought my 2019 (C8) A6 Premium Plus in late December 2019. On my way home after driving it off the lot I took my brother for a ride. One leg of the trip had a slow hilly twisted bend. When going through that section, there was torsion on the body and the headliner began its creaking noises, exactly as described here by others. Immediately I reached up and pushed on the lip of the headliner that abuts the rearmost part of the panoramic roof opening. I could easily reproduce the sound, and then I told my brother, yeah, they'll be fixing that or I'll shoot myself! But of course I decided to wait as I didn't want my car to be the experimentation candidate and figured it would take awhile until there was a properly engineered fix. To be honest, I had bad dreams of someone trying to pull down the headliner and causing damage and who knows what new gremlins, noises or otherwise, will be introduced. Anyhow, I just joined up here and quickly found that I'm not the only one as expected. It's good to hear that there could be a fix that may be done from the top and does not require headliner removal. My car is going in soon for its first 10K service and so I'm eager to hear the diagnosis and proposed solution. I'll post my experience here.

As an aside, I absolutely love this car so far but unfortunately I'll be on this forum a lot as I've many other issues to search for and/or ask others, does anyhow else have this issue? Some quick examples: right headlight washer fluid comes on randomly, so much so that it empties the reservoir in record time, smoked/black lexan cover over the area where I assume the heads-up display projects through rattles at a certain resonance frequency when accelerating heavily, found a rubber body sealing plug in my driveway recently so there is likely a hole exposed in the body underneath, the drivetrain has a very disappointing 100k-mile-bad-u-joint-like play/clunk when going between P ==> D ==> N ==> R and the car has drifted a bit to release the load ion the drivetrain etc (I have a gut feeling this one may be designed-in and if so, I'll be really sad), the accelerator pedal makes an annoying clicking/knocking sound when you release it fast, once in a great while I'm at a red light and the engine randomly stumbles like it's got bad timing and makes a noise, almost like a good old american A/C compressor does when it kicks on. And then there is the damn remote control - I opened my trunk unknowingly 4 times in the last 8 months by just having the remote in my pocket, I think because of the center location plus raised/radiused profile of the trunk button on the remote. One time it was even raining but luckily it was not for long and I had the polypropylene liner in there. I'm totally paranoid wherever I go now, especially if I locked my work bag with my computer inside in there. Luckily I always park in dent free spots in never never land, so it's far enough away while I'm in a store or restaurant. Anyhow, to be fair, note that I've not taken it in for any of these things yet as I was waiting for the TSB knowledge base to build up. But that time has come - I am scheduled for them to look at most of these soon but for some of the more intermittent ones, I need to find a way to readily reproduce it or record the event or something. Like I said, overall I still love love this car. I'm the patient type and I also know it's a new design so I'm going to give them a chance to make it right.
Sorry to hear you’re having the same issues I have. I only have a few notes that may be helpful to you from personal experience.

(1) The weird rattle you’re hearing seemingly near the HUD area may actually be the plastic trim below the steering wheel column right above your lower shin/ankle area. (Sorry It’s kind of hard to describe but it’s not your actual steering wheel column but the plastic area right behind your steering wheel column, near the base). I had the same weird rattle that was driving me nuts, and could’ve sworn it was behind virtual cockpit near the HUD, but when I test drove with the foreman, he immediately identified the plastic trim described. He said he diagnosed same exact rattle in a new A7. The plastic below is actually 2 pieces plastic-welded together, but tends to break loose and begin vibrating at higher speeds. He reached his hands And secured the area and sure enough, rattle went away. The entire plastic trim can be ordered from Germany but replacement takes less than 20 minutes. It’s an easy install. Update: Replaced plastic dash board trim behind steering wheel column. Another annoying rattle gone. One more to go (see #2).

(2) The entire top dash board (including the HUD area) are actually made up of 3 plastic trims which can easily be popped open. My center trim has a plastic clip that has become loose, hence why I know. if you’re also hearing rattles there, I would ask the shop tech to even examine those plastic trims. Update: Ordered Plastic trim for center dash. Actually trim is for vents and a sensor. If you having shop tech remove, remind him use kiddie gloves. These cheap plastic trims bend and scratch easily.

(3) Also the client gas pedal noise may be from the system that controls the automatic gas/brake pedals while in Auto Cruise Control and Pre-Sense braking. Do you also have the Drivers Assistance Package?

I sincerely hope my experiences will help you. I’ve been seemingly very unlucky having all these problems within my first year, but I hope any lessons learned can help others. Good luck.

Last edited by ONI1013; 10-22-2019 at 09:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
docportland (10-21-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by sawqaudi

I hope your moonroof (?sunroof?) issues is easily cured. I'm still waiting for an appointment to take mine in (car wants an oil change but it only has 1700 miles on it!)

I agree with the crazy sensitive car remote. I kept coming out to an open trunk. Nothing ever stolen, and realized it was getting pressed in my pocket or in my man-purse.

--Stephen
Old 11-19-2019, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Success--had the felt padding added and moonroof slightly adjusted, and the sound is 95% gone. Between that and new winter tires, it's ghostly quiet.
--Stephen
Old 11-22-2019, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by docportland
I hope your moonroof (?sunroof?) issues is easily cured. I'm still waiting for an appointment to take mine in (car wants an oil change but it only has 1700 miles on it!)

I agree with the crazy sensitive car remote. I kept coming out to an open trunk. Nothing ever stolen, and realized it was getting pressed in my pocket or in my man-purse.

--Stephen
The best moonroof is no moonroof : )
Old 10-09-2020, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Audi TAC has a fix

Well good news is Audi has a permanent fix for the sunroof issues. Bad news is that fix requires the car to go to a body shop to install new sunroof tracks. Which from what I am being told they are glued in place and not bolted in like other Audi models. My car just went in for this issue and I was hoping some felt tape and grease was going to be the fix they do. But no such luck, the new tracks are on order and then off to the body shop. This is apparently a newer fix and the dealership has only sent one to the body shop so far, I will be the 2nd. I trust my dealership to get this resolved fully, as they never let me down and are top notch. Just sucks Audi isn’t as reliable with its fit and finish like they used to be. My B7 A4 avant and 16’ SQ5 were bomber, audi traded in stout build quality for touch screens.
The following 3 users liked this post by jnigro7:
gk1 (10-09-2020), jrh710 (11-25-2020), ONI1013 (10-10-2020)

Quick Reply: 2019 a6 panoramic roof noise