AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c8-platform-discussion-229/)
-   -   2019 ALA (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c8-platform-discussion-229/2019-ala-2967812/)

DB22 02-25-2019 08:36 AM

2019 ALA

For those of you with active lane assist, would you please post your opinion of it, particularly if you have a reference to the C7 version of same?
I just read a report of the new A8 and they commented that ALA makes the car go down the road like a bowling ball bouncing off of the lane guards which, by the way, is about how my 2014 works. I would be very surprised if this system has not been significantly improved.

SYMAWD 02-25-2019 12:04 PM

It's the same. However, if you have adaptive cruise assist on with lane guidance, then it will lane center and not ping pong.

DB22 02-25-2019 01:54 PM

SYMAWD - is ACA different to my ACC that follows the car in front? Is the difference that it will steer at all speeds? If so, why did the high tech new A8 get a report that implied that it was no better than my system and certainly not of much use compared to the better systems of recent competitors?

SYMAWD 02-25-2019 02:36 PM

Yes, adaptive cruise assist will center at all speeds with a car in front. Regular lane keep assist is just that, an assist system that does not intervene until you are about to leave the lane. You can always take a test drive and test for yourself.

DB22 02-25-2019 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by SYMAWD (Post 25281447)
Yes, adaptive cruise assist will center at all speeds with a car in front. Regular lane keep assist is just that, an assist system that does not intervene until you are about to leave the lane. You can always take a test drive and test for yourself.

Thank you SYMAWD, thinking about A7 or S7, same technology though.

ONI1013 02-25-2019 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by DB22 (Post 25281427)
SYMAWD - is ACA different to my ACC that follows the car in front? Is the difference that it will steer at all speeds? If so, why did the high tech new A8 get a report that implied that it was no better than my system and certainly not of much use compared to the better systems of recent competitors?

I actually use the ACC with Traffic Jam Assist everyday since I commute 80 miles round trip in traffic. It works great for the most part and probably equivalent to our 2018 Lexus All-Speed Radar Cruise Control. One thing I do notice, both cars tend to brake a little bit harder than I would like, when set at 1 car space and traffic goes from 35+mph down to 0. In regular bumper-to-bumper traffic, it’s much smoother stop and take-offs, and I discovered that if you give 2 car space, it still keeps close distance but lessens the frequent stops obviously. And it will NOT auto change lanes for you when you signal, like the EU models does. :-(

The Lane Assist seems to work better with the ACC on, and keeps you in the lane without bouncing side to side, but it will sometimes pull you harder than you’d expect. You have to test drive it for yourself to see what I’m referring to.

Doug2.7 02-26-2019 05:01 PM

In addition to what ONI1013 stated, you can increase or decrease the sensitivity via the MMI. I use it all the time. I have it set for maximum response when I have Lane Assisit on which makes the steering wheel shudder when you get too close to the lane line. Kind of cool to allow the car to drive itself too. Unfortunately, it only allows self driving for a few seconds without grabbing the wheel and of tapping the wheel so the warning goes off...

ONI1013 03-08-2019 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by ONI1013 (Post 25281605)

I actually use the ACC with Traffic Jam Assist everyday since I commute 80 miles round trip in traffic. It works great for the most part and probably equivalent to our 2018 Lexus All-Speed Radar Cruise Control. One thing I do notice, both cars tend to brake a little bit harder than I would like, when set at 1 car space and traffic goes from 35+mph down to 0. In regular bumper-to-bumper traffic, it’s much smoother stop and take-offs, and I discovered that if you give 2 car space, it still keeps close distance but lessens the frequent stops obviously. And it will NOT auto change lanes for you when you signal, like the EU models does. :-(

The Lane Assist seems to work better with the ACC on, and keeps you in the lane without bouncing side to side, but it will sometimes pull you harder than you’d expect. You have to test drive it for yourself to see what I’m referring to.

Update: after a few more weeks of driving with the Adaptive Cruise Control, I can definitely see that the Audi handles the stop-and-go traffic noticeably better than the Lexus (at least between my testing of two different Audi’s vs two different Lexus). The Audi slows down and accelerates smoother in traffic, and when traffic goes to a complete stop, the Lexus stops very abruptly (almost jolting) while the Audi stops more “naturally” and not harsh.

Doug2.7 03-09-2019 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by ONI1013 (Post 25286915)

Update: after a few more weeks of driving with the Adaptive Cruise Control, I can definitely see that the Audi handles the stop-and-go traffic noticeably better than the Lexus (at least between my testing of two different Audi’s vs two different Lexus). The Audi slows down and accelerates smoother in traffic, and when traffic goes to a complete stop, the Lexus stops very abruptly (almost jolting) while the Audi stops more “naturally” and not harsh.

Concur on the Audi and since I don't have the Lexus, I can only comment on the Audi.

One thing I find with the Audi is when we get in very clogged traffic and the car does come to a stop (0 MPH), I have to tap the gas to get up to traffic speed whereas if we slow to 1MPH or faster, the car does it by itself and very smoothly... We are taking a trip starting Tuesday and will be back the following Thursday so I intend to comment on how well it works on the road for long distances and the mileage we are getting during the trip. Kind of anxious to see how well the "mild hybrid" actually works on open roads...

ONI1013 03-09-2019 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Doug2.7 (Post 25287212)
Concur on the Audi and since I don't have the Lexus, I can only comment on the Audi.

One thing I find with the Audi is when we get in very clogged traffic and the car does come to a stop (0 MPH), I have to tap the gas to get up to traffic speed whereas if we slow to 1MPH or faster, the car does it by itself and very smoothly... We are taking a trip starting Tuesday and will be back the following Thursday so I intend to comment on how well it works on the road for long distances and the mileage we are getting during the trip. Kind of anxious to see how well the "mild hybrid" actually works on open roads...

While in ACC, my Audi actually self starts (even at 0 mph), if it’s within 1-2 seconds. The Lexus does not.
About your road trip, I will bet you’re going be impressed with the avg Mpg. Most of my daily commute is highway and my avg mph goes from an abysmal 18 mpg city driving to about avg 26-27 mpg highway. Have fun.