A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

Audi Connect 6 month trail running out

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Audi Connect 6 month trail running out

So, in a few days, my Audi Connect runs out. Apparently we get ATT as our carrier. I understand Audi Prime but can't find info on Audi Plus on www.myAudiconnect.com

I have T mobile for cell service and can add a device for $10/month unlimited data. Is that an option? Do I have to go with Audi ATT Subscriptions for Prime and Plus? So many questions...

Thanks...

Last edited by Doug2.7; 06-15-2019 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We are held hostage by ATT service only. And at the ridiculous posted rates. I contacted them (when my trial ran out) and said that I wouldn't re-up for those rates but would do so for something more reasonable. They said don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out.

In my 2014 the sim was removable and you could use any service you wanted. Now the sim is integrated and you are stuck.

The good news is that audi connect is no big deal. The only thing worthwhile is google earth on the nav, but I can live without that. Everything else is easily replicated on my phone. So I gladly dropped the service

Gee Audi sure does know how to treat its customers dont they?
Old 06-16-2019, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug2.7
So, in a few days, my Audi Connect runs out. Apparently we get ATT as our carrier. I understand Audi Prime but can't find info on Audi Plus on www.myAudiconnect.com

I have T mobile for cell service and can add a device for $10/month unlimited data. Is that an option? Do I have to go with Audi ATT Subscriptions for Prime and Plus? So many questions...

Thanks...
Had same question when first got car. From my understanding after speaking to Audi Connect Support (877-505-AUDI), Connect PLUS only adds WiFi Hotspots connectivity for up to 8 external devices. All the other functionality is part of either Audi Connect CARE (SOS, Online Roadside, Remote locks, etc) or PRIME (Google Earth Maps, Traffic, Google Voice, etc.).

Connect PLUS is only offered through AT&T data plans (and may vary slightly depending on region), but generally:
  • $10/mo for existing AT&T members (data limits is dependent on your existing plan I think, Unlimited vs Shared)
  • $15/mo 2 GB monthly limit
  • $25/mo Unlimited limit (but data speeds may slow after first 22 GB each month)
  • $250 Unlimited for 12 months
Note: You will first need PRIME to get PLUS (and yes, all through AT&T in US). So need pay at least $199 (6 mo) or $499 (18 mo) PRIME, in order to add the PLUS rates above. But you don’t need PLUS to keep PRIME. In my opinion, if you already have devices that connects to the internet directly or you have a device that can serve as a Hot Spot (most newer smart phones have this), then PLUS is not needed.

The real question (for me) is if I even need PRIME. In the last 2 months, I’ve been deliberately trying to use only Apple Car Play, in lieu of PRIME, for my most used functions (traffic navigation, google POI searches). So far so good. I will miss using Calendar and Google Voice Search, but no big deal for me.

Last edited by ONI1013; 06-16-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for the great explanation. That helps a lot.

I have another one. You mentioned only ATT is available however when I look at terms and conditions, i have choose either ATT, T Mobile ( which uses ATT cells) or e Tron. I would assume one of those three carriers would also be available to choose from. I currently have T Mobile and I can add unlimited data for $10/month... Am I missing something?

Thank you again for your well thought out answer and explanation...
Doug
Old 06-16-2019, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug2.7
Thanks for the great explanation. That helps a lot.

I have another one. You mentioned only ATT is available however when I look at terms and conditions, i have choose either ATT, T Mobile ( which uses ATT cells) or e Tron. I would assume one of those three carriers would also be available to choose from. I currently have T Mobile and I can add unlimited data for $10/month... Am I missing something?

Thank you again for your well thought out answer and explanation...
Doug
Audi indicated Connection Plus and Prime Service is only through AT&T, which is consistent with what others have said about the “fixed” SIM card embedded in the newer models. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if these SIM cards can also be used with T-Mobile (since AT&T and T-Mobile LTE Sims cards have historically been compatible with each other’s network). I would honestly ask T-Mobile directly and not rely on Audi’s explanations. But in all honesty, if your goal is to just get the PLUS WiFi connectivity at a T-Mobile Unlimited $10 rate, I would just buy a separate T-Mobile Hot Spot device. Good luck. 👍🏼

Last edited by ONI1013; 06-16-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts

Using OBDEleven you can setup your MMI to connect to a hotspot, say with your phone.

I don't know, however, what features are going to work by doing so. Just thought I'd point this out.

ALSO, for those of you who know how to or want to learn how to by downloading the step by steps on Erwin (by paying for it), you can swap out the dummy face plate that has the SD card and USB slots so that you can add your own SIM card. Then, use OBDEleven to force it to use the new/3rd party SIM card. Again, no idea what the end result is as I haven't tried it out but worth bringing up I think.