AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c8-platform-discussion-229/)
-   -   Audi expert advice needed (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c8-platform-discussion-229/audi-expert-advice-needed-2962401/)

Helmar 11-16-2018 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Oball2400 (Post 25237622)
...My Lexus LS430 still is a nicer riding car...

I wish I still had my 2008 LS600hL.

Thanks for the review. Did you notice any hesitation accelerating from a stop?

I’ll try driving one myself in a few weeks

HBH

Oball2400 11-16-2018 12:40 PM

I did not notice any hesitation at all-looks great with the 21” wheels. My Lexus has aged well, so it’s going to be a difficult decision. If I HAD to buy a car (if the Lexus was wrecked or some major part broke) I would buy the Audi. Unfortunately-or fortunately-the Lexus is fine with 0 deferred maintenance.

angrypengu 11-18-2018 04:59 PM

If you care about ride, get the smallest wheels.

The 20" option on the 2019 A8 made me think twice as it looks great, but ride quality is #1 for me, so I stayed with the 19"s.

Oball2400 11-19-2018 03:47 AM

Thanks. I’m kind of changing my mind about wheel size as the 21” simply make the car so much better looking. The 19” wheels cheapen the look of the car and the 20” are just “ok.” I’ll probably end up driving less than 3,000 miles a year so I’m talking myself into the 21” for looks alone. First world problem.

angrypengu 11-19-2018 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Oball2400 (Post 25238586)
Thanks. I’m kind of changing my mind about wheel size as the 21” simply make the car so much better looking. The 19” wheels cheapen the look of the car and the 20” are just “ok.” I’ll probably end up driving less than 3,000 miles a year so I’m talking myself into the 21” for looks alone. First world problem.

I'm a car nut, but worth noting that I do care about the appearance of my vehicle, like you clearly do. That said, the amount of time spent inside the vehicle massively exceeds the amount of time, usually, looking at the vehicle. Passer bys will not spend more than a fraction of a second looking at your vehicle...because how often do you stare at someone else's car? Anyways, you know what's best, just thought I'd point this out.

I'm in a similar situation, but with vehicle colours. First world problem indeed :D

Oball2400 11-19-2018 03:55 AM

One thing for sure-you will enjoy the look on the inside. They really hit it out of the ballpark with the electronics. My wife has been after me to get the same safety stuff (BSM, backup camera,LKA, etc) that she has in her RX350 and now she thinks I will be constantly fooling around with the technology in the A6!

Doug2.7 11-21-2018 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Oball2400 (Post 25237622)
I drove the 2019 A6 this morning with the 20” wheels/tires. A nice ride but not tremendously different from the 21” in my opinion. However I took my wife with me. She looked at the A6’s with 19”, 20” and 21” wheels. She said the 19”s made the car look like a Honda Accord (or similar vehicles) and wasn’t impressed at all with the 20” wheels either. She said that the 21” wheels made the car look far, far better. I agree-a much different and more impressive look with the biggest wheels. She, like me, was also highly impressed with the technology. I think Audi is far in front of any other manufacturer in this area. If you like your IPhone (or Android) you will certainly like the technology in the 2019 A6.

My Lexus LS430 still is a nicer riding car, slightly bigger and roomier and with just 80,000 miles could last for years. But the A6 has absolutely everything I want in technology. It’s decision time. I will probably make an offer soon and but will not pay MSRP. They may not accept and that is fine with me.

If you were a member of the AudiUSA club of North America for 6 months, you get a 6% discount off MSRP at most participating dealerships. I used my 2018 for my 2019 A6...

As far as the wheels so, the sports or convenient package includes 20" wheels. We saw all three at the car show and the 19" look blah, the 21" to us look like it makes the car look like a grasshopper in its higher stance and the 20" sold us we did the right move and got those 20" on our order.... I think it's all a matter of personal taste. I also noted the 20" wheels have metallic paint whereas the 19 and 21 do not. That will blend nicely with our Mythos black exterior so for us its a win...

Oball2400 11-22-2018 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Doug2.7 (Post 25239781)
If you were a member of the AudiUSA club of North America for 6 months, you get a 6% discount off MSRP at most participating dealerships. I used my 2018 for my 2019 A6...

As far as the wheels so, the sports or convenient package includes 20" wheels. We saw all three at the car show and the 19" look blah, the 21" to us look like it makes the car look like a grasshopper in its higher stance and the 20" sold us we did the right move and got those 20" on our order.... I think it's all a matter of personal taste. I also noted the 20" wheels have metallic paint whereas the 19 and 21 do not. That will blend nicely with our Mythos black exterior so for us its a win...

thanks for the information on the Audi membership discount. I will check that out to see if the dealer participates.

The 20” wheels do look nice. I will get Glacier white exterior and the 21” wheels really add to the overall look.

Alphatero 11-22-2018 06:22 AM

The 21" inch wheels look great, until you hit a pothole. Been there, done that. 19" are fine for me. Ride great and nobody looks at your wheels anyway

ONI1013 02-10-2019 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Oball2400 (Post 25237693)
I did not notice any hesitation at all-looks great with the 21” wheels. My Lexus has aged well, so it’s going to be a difficult decision. If I HAD to buy a car (if the Lexus was wrecked or some major part broke) I would buy the Audi. Unfortunately-or fortunately-the Lexus is fine with 0 deferred maintenance.

Also been a Lexus owner for years, and ride quality and reliability is what kept me with Lexus. My wife also has the Lexus 2018 RX Ultra Luxury with all the bells and whistles. Love the car. Recently been in market for new car, and was toss up between the new 2019 ES and 2019 A6. Ended up choosing the A6 because I wanted something different than a Lexus, although it was a very difficult decision for me bc ride quality, smoothness, and quiet cabin were a few essentials I loved. Scoured the state for an A6 with 19” wheels for ride comfort, but with all my amenities, but ended up going for the 20” bc too difficult finding one.

Here’s my personal real life assessment: The Lexus ES definitely rides smoother and quieter. I test drove the ES with Ultra Luxury pkg the optional Noise Reducing wheels, acoustic glass, and upgraded Anti-fatigue leather seats. No matter how much I adjusted the seats in the Audi, it just didn’t feel as supple and comfortable as the Lexus seats. (I have the upgraded ventilated/heated seats with 12-way control). With the Audi, you definitely feel the road more— even in Comfort Drive mode. You feel the minute bumps and can feel the car hug turns a lot more than the Lexus. The road noise is noticeably more as you increase speeds above 30mph, compare to the Lexus— especially on the tires noise. The new ES also has sound dampener under the body of car.

However, that being said, the Audi overall ride quality and noise isn’t bad by any means. It’s actually a very quiet and smooth ride— not as good as Lexus, but not bad. I would also say the acceleration and drive train is very smooth— just like the Lexus, only much faster take off due to Quattro. And the technology in the Audi is beautiful— albeit a little glitchy compared to the Lexus. The biggest difference to me are the seat comfort. I drive about 2 hours per day round trip to work. The A6 seats are comfortable but after driving 2 hours, you do notice it a little more on your back than the Lexus seats.

But with all these comparisons, end of day, you have to drive it yourself and see if it fits your needs. I love the new A6 and how more fun it is to “drive” a car. In my opinion, Audi’s are for “drivers” and Lexus’ are for “riders”, and you’re not going make the Audi ride like the Lexus— but that might not be a bad thing. Just different. Hope this helps.