A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

Audi Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Audi Lighting

I posted this on the C7 forum as well.

The last edition of Automobile magazine had an interview with Cesar Muntada, Chief of Lighting and Wheel Design for Audi. I would certainly like the full Matrix/laser technology, as used in the EU, but, as stated, the technology has still not been authorized for use in the USA even though Audi has petitioned for it.
The other issue that was not even mentioned is that Audi have gone through hoops to put on a light show at the rear of, at least the A7 and A8, but still hasn't incorporated the travelling amber turn signals. His team of engineers were given the task of taking a great design, that is used in the rest of the world, and screwing it up for the US market. It's not that difficult to accommodate the antiquated US laws of initial illuminated area for a turn signal, especially if you have a team of engineers specifically designing lighting systems. If they really are that incompetent then at least launch a petition to change that law too.
There are numerous people within Audiworld from different forums that have spent thousands of dollars on rear lights so that they can get amber turn signals and be a safer member of the motoring public. So, why does Audi supply its US market with this antiquated, inferior product?
My next car will have amber turn signals but I am not paying extra for them.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

I love the 2019 A6 Prestige rear lights. I didn't think it was a bad thing to have red turn indicators... but maybe that is just me?

My 1966 Ford tbird also has sequential red tail lights...
Old 02-20-2019, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Doug2.7
I love the 2019 A6 Prestige rear lights. I didn't think it was a bad thing to have red turn indicators... but maybe that is just me?

Having red turn signals is a dumb idea. Red for brake, red for the light and red for the turn signal. It makes as much sense as having red, red and red on traffic signals instead of the red, amber and green. Only in the North American continent can such stupidity be tolerated.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug2.7

Arent the rear turn signal lights on the 2019 A6 Prestige Trim amber color? I thought only the Premium Plus and lower that have the red rear turn signals.
And by the way, where is your CD/DVD player you listed on your 2019 A6 Prestige?

Last edited by ONI1013; 02-22-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ONI1013

Arent the rear turn signal lights on the 2019 A6 Prestige Trim amber color? I thought only the Premium Plus and lower that have the red rear turn signals.
And by the way, where is your CD/DVD player you listed on your 2019 A6 Prestige?
I do not know of any new Audi sold in the USA that has amber rear turn signals. We need Doug to answer your Prestige question.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DB22

I do not know of any new Audi sold in the USA that has amber rear turn signals. We need Doug to answer your Prestige question.

Nevermind. Just verified my own question —
. See video at 8:56. The US version only has the red DRL rear turn signals.

Last edited by ONI1013; 02-23-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Nevermind. Just verified my own question — https://youtu.be/9n5QDDpBi7s. See video at 8:56. The US version only has the red DRL rear turn signals.
Incredible isn’t it?
Old 02-24-2019, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DB22
I posted this on the C7 forum as well.

The last edition of Automobile magazine had an interview with Cesar Muntada, Chief of Lighting and Wheel Design for Audi. I would certainly like the full Matrix/laser technology, as used in the EU, but, as stated, the technology has still not been authorized for use in the USA even though Audi has petitioned for it.

The other issue that was not even mentioned is that Audi have gone through hoops to put on a light show at the rear of, at least the A7 and A8, but still hasn't incorporated the travelling amber turn signals. His team of engineers were given the task of taking a great design, that is used in the rest of the world, and screwing it up for the US market. It's not that difficult to accommodate the antiquated US laws of initial illuminated area for a turn signal, especially if you have a team of engineers specifically designing lighting systems.

Since the full Matrix headlight is still not approved in US, so exactly what is difference between the US Prestige headlights (HD Matrix Designed LED) vs the US Premium Plus (Matrix Designed LED) headlights??

Regarding the amber rear lights, I honestly don’t think the US NHTSA blocked the amber rear lights alone bc clearly amber rear signal lights are allowed in almost all other foreign imports. Maybe it’s the animated light show? And you can’t have the amber without the full animation?

Last edited by ONI1013; 02-24-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Since the full Matrix headlight is still not approved in US, so exactly what is difference between the US Prestige headlights (HD Matrix Designed LED) vs the US Premium Plus (Matrix Designed LED) headlights??

Regarding the amber rear lights, I honestly don’t think the US NHTSA blocked the amber rear lights alone bc clearly amber rear signal lights are allowed in almost all other foreign imports. Maybe it’s the animated light show? And you can’t have the amber without the full animation?

I am not sure of the difference between the two lighting systems of the premium and prestige but neither of them have the matrix enabled in the USA.
The amber lighting laws have been discussed extensively on numerous forums but here’s the summary: Amber is legal. Surface area of the illuminated area of the turn signal must be a defined size - the initial area of the traveling system does not meet this requirement so Audi illuminated additional lights as well. A really cheap and dirty method of meeting dumb legal requirements and having the semi traveling feature. This biggest issue is that all Audi’s don’t utilize amber even though it is legal.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

yes, all red tail lights as you found out...

the DVD player is in the glove box attached to the top and left side. I did find it weird that I can drive and watch a movie on the upper MMI... Of course I wouldn't while driving but its nice for the pax seat to watch... maybe... Since I have the high end 3D stereo, I rather listen to music anyway. The car has amazing 3D capability with just about any media format.

Quick Reply: Audi Lighting