A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

Cabin preconditioning?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 10:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabin preconditioning?

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked. I'm looking at both a Model S and a new A6. Given that I live in a Northern climate, the ability to have my car nice and warm when I head out in the AM or after work is a real solid feature.

I know that Audi hasn't allowed remote start and I understand why.

That said, I was speaking to my local dealer today and she told me that there's a belief/understanding/rumor that the 2019 A6 has electrical hardware (much like the new C class) that allows the cabin to be preheated and defrosted remotely, prior to the engine being started. The thing is, I can't find any reference to anything like this on the Internet and I'm half convinced she's blowing smoke in order to get me to commit to the A6.

All things being equal, I'd jump on the A6 if she's telling the truth.

Has anyone heard anything of the sort? I know it sounds like a small feature, but it's wonderful when it's -5F outside in the AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

She noted it would be an MMI software update to enable it in the future. Her timing coincides with my purchase timeline, fortunately.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Card.com noted "Optional also is a system that turns a compatible smartphone into a remote virtual key, using near-field communications to lock, unlock and start the car"...

But I have not seen it myself.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just got my 2019 A7. The smart phone functions work fine, but are very limited. Just locking and unlocking the doors, checking systems and maintenance etc. Definitely no remote start or starting of any vehicle heating functions.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:53 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

As I understand it the upcoming e-tron with the cold weather package would be the first with preconditioning since it will not require a running motor or any drive capabilities at all to electrically heat and cool.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
As I understand it the upcoming e-tron with the cold weather package would be the first with preconditioning since it will not require a running motor or any drive capabilities at all to electrically heat and cool.
correct

no preconditioning as of yet on the other models. Not sure if the 48v system has the capability to allow for this even with a future software update, will have to spend some time and go back through my notes from the summer when I took a course on it
Old 11-23-2018, 12:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SCarGuy

correct

no preconditioning as of yet on the other models. Not sure if the 48v system has the capability to allow for this even with a future software update, will have to spend some time and go back through my notes from the summer when I took a course on it
Right. She implied the hardware was there, but pending MMI. I was wondering if maybe it was a Canadian feature. Being that I live in PA, I’d really like the preheat.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

To keep the thread updated... they called back today and "confirmed" that they're told it will be out at the end of the year. Of course it might be delayed and all that. Test driving tomorrow, but won't buy without real confirmation.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for keeping the thread alive.

Comng out of lease with a 2016 750 in July.

Bouncing between A6 and E450/53

Before my test drives, my research shows:

Audi A6

-No remote start.

-No Air suspension? =Rougher ride?

-No All wheel steering.

+Had A6, very reliable. NO acceleration hesitation.

+😎 Active matrix headlights

+-Touch screen

-Touch screen: Fingerprints!

-All new model = less reliable?

Mercedes E450

+Dealer closer

-Infotainment overly complicated?

+Air suspension

+Not new model = more reliable?

+😎 cool windshield washers.

+😎 dual visors

+😎 trunk storage box.

?+E53 -ride quality?

+Remote Start via Mercedes Me

HBH

Last edited by Helmar; 11-30-2018 at 04:27 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

They’ve gotten back to me. This is not something the 2019 A6 will support in the US market. This takes it off my list.

Wanted to close the discussion so no one buys based on premature dealer speculation.

Quick Reply: Cabin preconditioning?