A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

Dashboard noise/clicks

Old 05-11-2019, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGO

Surround causing rattle

Found out that my rattle was coming from the silver surround attached to the virtual cockpit display. Dealer stripped the dash and put in extra padding. No more rattles for the time being. Few pics of car attached
Very nice. I’ve noticed a slight vibration (only on occasion) at this spot too. Thought it was in the steering column somewhere, bc the silver trim felt fairly solid to the touch. Will have to check it out again. Was this an easy trim to remove?
Old 05-12-2019, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Dealer said that it was a bit of a job to remove most of the top of the dash to get at the problem, lots of clips etc, but fingers crossed it seems to have worked.
Oh Ok. Thought it would be much easier just getting at it directly from the front. Thanks.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Coming from many years of being a Lexus owner where there are no rattles and clicks in the dashboard, headliners, etc, this is our first Audi. Is it common to have this much noise and rattling in previous Audi’s?
Old 05-16-2019, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Never had any issues with previous models, had two A6 C7’s and never a sweek, creak or rattle. Although the main rattle has gone, I am still hearing some other rattles. Latest is coming from panel to the right of glove box ( RHD model). At this stage I’m becoming oblivious to them. I had a BMW G31 touring before this, and while the Avant is a nicer drive (probably down to variable dampers), the BMW was rock solid. I’m also not convinced by the dual touch screens, definitely a distraction poking at the screens.
That’s good to know about Audi. Maybe I was just unlucky with this one I picked up. I’ll definitely be checking out my next lease more thoroughly in 3 years. Exact reason I got lease instead of purchasing. But I do like the dual touch screens— just takes more getting used to. And it looks like Audi is moving in that direction with all their models except the RS’.

Last edited by ONI1013; 05-22-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 776 Likes on 568 Posts

Anyone here have an annoying rattle by the driver's side air vent that goes away after the car is warm?

I'm still trying to nail this one down. It literally only pisses me off for a solid 5 minutes when going over some weird road surfaces, but once the car is warm it goes away. It's been dang near difficult nailing down precisely where it's coming from too!
Old 05-22-2019, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Anyone here have an annoying rattle by the driver's side air vent that goes away after the car is warm?

I'm still trying to nail this one down. It literally only pisses me off for a solid 5 minutes when going over some weird road surfaces, but once the car is warm it goes away. It's been dang near difficult nailing down precisely where it's coming from too!
Actually I did. Discovered there may been two issues. The few plastic clips on the door panel we’re becoming loose and was exacerbated when got warmer. Had to get dealer take off door panel to replace clips and felt tape entire door panel where met metal frame door. Second part was easier to DIY. There is a fuse box cover right next to the drivers air vent when you open door (see manual). Carefully pop cover open on lower right part with plastic pry tool (or tiny screw driver with tape) so you don’t damage. Felt tape all clips and contact points where cover touches fuse panel. All good for me after that. Good luck. 👍🏼
The following users liked this post:
A665 (10-23-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 776 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by ONI1013
Actually I did. Discovered there may been two issues. The few plastic clips on the door panel we’re becoming loose and was exacerbated when got warmer. Had to get dealer take off door panel to replace clips and felt tape entire door panel where met metal frame door. Second part was easier to DIY. There is a fuse box cover right next to the drivers air vent when you open door (see manual). Carefully pop cover open on lower right part with plastic pry tool (or tiny screw driver with tape) so you don’t damage. Felt tape all clips and contact points where cover touches fuse panel. All good for me after that. Good luck. 👍🏼
Oh my gosh. Thank you! I took it apart tonight and used my finger to hit the metal clips and went..."Oh I found you bugger!"

This is fantastic and an attestation to the community being bigger than the sum of its pieces. Much appreciated!
The following users liked this post:
A665 (10-23-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Oh my gosh. Thank you! I took it apart tonight and used my finger to hit the metal clips and went..."Oh I found you bugger!"

This is fantastic and an attestation to the community being bigger than the sum of its pieces. Much appreciated!
Awesome! Glad you found the culprit and fixed it. 👍🏼
Old 07-01-2019, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2019 A6, 4 weeks old, been into Audi Dealer once already for dash rattles. They said passenger door trim not fitted right, pushing on dash causing rattle. Was fixed for 2 days and has now come back. There is a rattle coming from behind the dash, they didn't fix that either. Looks like it will be going back in. As others have said, disappointing from Audi. Had C5, C6, C7 prior to this one with no issues.

Also had intermitant errors from front camera around pre-sence, lane departure and Matrix lights. They had to recode and reset.

Last C7 Audi made it 2 years to first service without going into the Dealer.

I think the software is buggy on the infotainment, (Standard not Tech Pack) some times Sat Nav shortcut to Home and Office works, some times says it isn't set. Also occasionally phone pairs to Bluetooth and CarPlay then when you make a call in car play the Audi phone comes up at the same time and the caller can't hear the audio.

Anyone know why wireless CarPlay is not enabled in the UK.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 174 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by MAN G
I have 2019 A6, 4 weeks old, been into Audi Dealer once already for dash rattles. They said passenger door trim not fitted right, pushing on dash causing rattle. Was fixed for 2 days and has now come back. There is a rattle coming from behind the dash, they didn't fix that either. Looks like it will be going back in. As others have said, disappointing from Audi. Had C5, C6, C7 prior to this one with no issues.

Also had intermitant errors from front camera around pre-sence, lane departure and Matrix lights. They had to recode and reset.

Last C7 Audi made it 2 years to first service without going into the Dealer.

I think the software is buggy on the infotainment, (Standard not Tech Pack) some times Sat Nav shortcut to Home and Office works, some times says it isn't set. Also occasionally phone pairs to Bluetooth and CarPlay then when you make a call in car play the Audi phone comes up at the same time and the caller can't hear the audio.

Anyone know why wireless CarPlay is not enabled in the UK.
From what I can gather wireless CarPlay requires Wi-fi to be activated which requires either a sim in the slot in the armrest or paying for it via the myAudi app

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dashboard noise/clicks