A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

Dashboard noise/clicks

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Simcox
From what I can gather wireless CarPlay requires Wi-fi to be activated which requires either a sim in the slot in the armrest or paying for it via the myAudi app
Thanks for the response. I have the my Audi app set up and paid for the data add on to use as a hotspot. Still no wireless car play. It is enabled in the US.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 178 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by MAN G
Thanks for the response. I have the my Audi app set up and paid for the data add on to use as a hotspot. Still no wireless car play. It is enabled in the US.
OK not sure what else to suggest. Maybe it is some sort of licensing issue
Old 07-05-2019, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought A6 2019 and have these rattles and noises very disappointing, i took in and they service department said that when they took of the dash there was a sound strip missing which they found in one of their demo cars so they placed it and it helped but did not totally eliminate the noise.
I am also noticing that the door panels have different spacing between the metal door and the panel, some as far apart as half inch, have to take it in for that.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought A6 2019 and have these rattles and noises very disappointing, i took in and they service department said that when they took of the dash there was a sound strip missing which they found in one of their demo cars so they placed it and it helped but did not totally eliminate the noise.
I am also noticing that the door panels have different spacing between the metal door and the panel, some as far apart as half inch, have to take it in for that.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just came across this thread. I bought a 2017 BMW 540 two years ago (after two A7s). My 540 had the exact same issue, and it was well known to the point that BMW already had a TSB on it. On the BMW it was so bad that it sounded like rocks were hitting the windshield. It happened when the car had sat out in hot sun and lasted about five minutes then stopped. It did not do it at all in the winter. It was caused by cold air coming through the vents just below the speaker.

They replaced the center speaker grill when my car was about four weeks old. The service manager admitted then it did not fix the problem 100%, and he submitted some sort of formal notice to BMW so that if they came up with a better fix he would be notified.

Nearly two years later, it still does it, but it is a lot better and only lasts a mile or so. No, I have never heard back and I admit I just gave up on it.

i should point out that my first A7 had zero squeaks/rattles, but my second one had a minor rattle in the interior in the area of the passenger “B” pillar. They never found a fix for it either.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:35 AM
Gtx
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m sorry you are having these issues. It is maddening when you have to tolerate dashboard noises in a new vehicle. My advice to you is to keep bringing into the dealership until they are fixed. I have a B&O 3D system with multiple rattles that are specific to the B&O speakers. I have taken it to the dealership twice, soon for a third visit. Some rattles were fixed and other new rattles created. As long as Audi is willing to pay for these defects I will keep bringing the vehicle in for service. I’m certain that the 2020 vehicles will have fewer defects. Hang in there.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Picked up a new 2019 A6 Prestige about two weeks ago, and wow this rattling is driving me nuts. I tried to find the problem, pushed around all the plastic I could find and it's not going away. Tomorrow I'll be calling my dealer to schedule an appointment. Starting to get really pissed off at Audi for putting this much plastic in such a caliber car.

Videos:
https://streamja.com/WnnQ1
https://streamja.com/MBBQe

Speed is between 20-25mph on a residential street.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Glavata
Picked up a new 2019 A6 Prestige about two weeks ago, and wow this rattling is driving me nuts. I tried to find the problem, pushed around all the plastic I could find and it's not going away. Tomorrow I'll be calling my dealer to schedule an appointment. Starting to get really pissed off at Audi for putting this much plastic in such a caliber car.

Videos:
https://streamja.com/WnnQ1
https://streamja.com/MBBQe

Speed is between 20-25mph on a residential street.
I feel your pain. I think I’ve had nearly 6-7 service appointments alone last year just to deal with rattles (Door panels, moonroof, center dash, steering wheel under mount, passenger side dashboard). All been resolved, with the exception only the Moonroof rattle returned but only when turning into an incline like driveways. I can live with that, b/c for me, I knew at one point to stop chasing perfection.

Your videos seems to sound like it’s from the passenger dash, but don’t be surprised if it’s your upper dash or passenger A pillar. Rattle sounds can play tricks with your mind. I can only offer a few tips if your next service doesn’t resolve it permanently:
  1. Remove EVERYTHING loose out of your car, especially your glove and narrow compartment on driver side.
  2. Double-check both visors are fully secured pushing AWAY from the center - some rattles were identified by loose visors vibrating against the center stack
  3. But if it is the passenger dash- the wood trim and piano-black trim can be snapped out easily in 3 separate pieces. Test drive with the foreman and have him press inward on the right side of the piano black trims- if noise goes away, then you found the culprit.
  4. Video record everything and try to really get up close to hear the noise
  5. Get to really know the Service Manager and shop Foreman at the dealership. Rattles are one of the hardest things to diagnose and treat, and takes a lot of patience from the service techs b/c they have to take something apart, secure it, then drive to test. And if rattles persist, have to slowly take more things apart, then repeat process over again. If they know you and you have good relations, they are more likely to take their time and be more patient with the process.
  6. Take test drives with the foreman and have him test panels While you drive. Pre-identify areas in the city/freeway where you can duplicate noise 100% of time. I cannot tell you how helpful this is when foreman actually hears it happening in real time.
  7. Insist only foreman works on your car (or someone who you know is detailed).
  8. Lastly, be super PATIENT. Your car may be in there for weeks or longer. They had my car in shop for 28 days just for the moonroof rattle.
Wish you best of luck.

Last edited by ONI1013; 03-11-2020 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Got the car back from the dealer and the rattling seems fixed at a first glance, though I have not been able to drive it much with the current quarantine situation. They took out the MMI and put tape inside to dampen the vibrations.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lucky you. Over here in my country it cost £130,000. I won't complain if i were you

Quick Reply: Dashboard noise/clicks