A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

First impressions of my new A6

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 02:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First impressions of my new A6

I originally had a 2012 A6 Prestige that I really loved overall. It's actually my favorite car that I've owned so far. The only gripe I had at the time was that I thought the seats were a bit narrow and I had my driver's seat modified, with different padding, when I lived in Los Angeles. The only other major issues I had were that the computer failed within the first year, which was replaced under warranty, and there was an odd noise from the front right suspension, which they finally figured out and fixed. Other than that the car was great. I recently bought the new A6, but a Premium Plus model with Cold Weather Package, Drivers Assist, and 20 inch wheel package.

My thoughts so far are; this model rides way nicer than the previous, even for having 20 inch wheels. There is a bit more sidewall and the suspension is better. The cabin is way more quiet from the road noise compared with my previous model. The stereo is significantly better, although now I have a B+O and before it was the Bose, which was one of the worst stereos I'd had in a car in a long time. I do like the safety features in the car, especially the various camera views for parallel parking. But it's almost too much tech. I can't stand the lane departure system because it constantly feels like you're battling the car. The first time I felt it "correct" me, I laughed because I immediately thought how this is more an option for when people have been drinking. I eventually turned it off. The stop/start system is okay. It's not buttery smooth but it's a lot better than my friend's BMW. Her whole car shakes during start up after stopping. My biggest gripe are the seats. I have the standard seats, not the vented Warm Weather or the Comfort Package. This was probably a mistake on my part. During the whopping 5 minute test drive, I just didn't really notice it. But as I drive the car more I find that they really aren't that comfortable. Perhaps they just need time to break in. I just find that Audi seats are very stiff compared to other manufacturers; Mercedes, Acura, Lexus, and I really don't understand it, especially for an A series.

So while this model has a lot of significant features compared with the previous, I will say that this one feels more like a luxury car, or a small A8. My previous car was actually more fun to drive and felt lighter and more nimble. It's not saying that the driving feel of this model is bad, but there is quite a difference between the two. Obviously if you're looking for more of a sporty feel, get the S6...if you can afford it. I sometimes wonder if I should have gone with a S5 Sportback. Time will tell.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Congrats on your new car. Beautiful color.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Nice looking car
Old 09-01-2019, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HillyG
I originally had a 2012 A6 Prestige that I really loved overall. It's actually my favorite car that I've owned so far. The only gripe I had at the time was that I thought the seats were a bit narrow and I had my driver's seat modified, with different padding, when I lived in Los Angeles. The only other major issues I had were that the computer failed within the first year, which was replaced under warranty, and there was an odd noise from the front right suspension, which they finally figured out and fixed. Other than that the car was great. I recently bought the new A6, but a Premium Plus model with Cold Weather Package, Drivers Assist, and 20 inch wheel package.

My thoughts so far are; this model rides way nicer than the previous, even for having 20 inch wheels. There is a bit more sidewall and the suspension is better. The cabin is way more quiet from the road noise compared with my previous model. The stereo is significantly better, although now I have a B+O and before it was the Bose, which was one of the worst stereos I'd had in a car in a long time. I do like the safety features in the car, especially the various camera views for parallel parking. But it's almost too much tech. I can't stand the lane departure system because it constantly feels like you're battling the car. The first time I felt it "correct" me, I laughed because I immediately thought how this is more an option for when people have been drinking. I eventually turned it off. The stop/start system is okay. It's not buttery smooth but it's a lot better than my friend's BMW. Her whole car shakes during start up after stopping. My biggest gripe are the seats. I have the standard seats, not the vented Warm Weather or the Comfort Package. This was probably a mistake on my part. During the whopping 5 minute test drive, I just didn't really notice it. But as I drive the car more I find that they really aren't that comfortable. Perhaps they just need time to break in. I just find that Audi seats are very stiff compared to other manufacturers; Mercedes, Acura, Lexus, and I really don't understand it, especially for an A series.

So while this model has a lot of significant features compared with the previous, I will say that this one feels more like a luxury car, or a small A8. My previous car was actually more fun to drive and felt lighter and more nimble. It's not saying that the driving feel of this model is bad, but there is quite a difference between the two. Obviously if you're looking for more of a sporty feel, get the S6...if you can afford it. I sometimes wonder if I should have gone with a S5 Sportback. Time will tell.

Nice looking car. One of the gripes I have the lack of interior storage space. I noted that you have 20" wheels. Could you tell me what the door jam sticker says for tire pressures on 255/40/20 101H tires.

Last edited by dougaross; 09-01-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dougaross
Nice looking car. One of the gripes I have the lack of interior storage space. I noted that you have 20" wheels. Could you tell me what the door jam sticker says for tire pressures on 255/40/20 101H tires.
Oh man! Lack of interior storage space is a big one. I didn't realize how much I'd miss the "ash tray" from my 2016. I kept coins and my sunglasses in there. It was very convenient. The TINY storage space in the arm rest is just totally inadequate, at least if you plan on keeping your phone in there. The storage space underneath the light switch is pretty good, but awfully inconvenient unless you're parked. And the glove box seemed pretty big until I actually started putting stuff in there.

My 2016 also had the storage bin underneath the seat which was a HUGE convenience for me.

The 2019 door pockets are deeper, so there's that, but they're also built in such a way that it's a little tighter to get your hand in there.

Oh, and one more thing... I didn't realize it until after I took delivery (2019 A6 P+, Sport package) how the front air vents are inset, so people like me who like their cellphone in front of them and who used the air-vent cell phone holders, now have a tough time finding an air-vent mounted cell phone holder that works.