AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c8-platform-discussion-229/)
-   -   Issue with Wireless Charging and Apple Car Play (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c8-platform-discussion-229/issue-wireless-charging-apple-car-play-2975232/)

Mn3484 07-03-2019 03:57 PM

Issue with Wireless Charging and Apple Car Play

I have an iPhone X

When the phone is connected to the CarPlay or charging wirelessly

I pick up the phone and as it is extremely Hot causing the phone to freeze, work slow, reboot and do weird things.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

jroczniak 07-04-2019 04:51 AM

Yes - exact same thing. I even went to an apple store and they ran a diagnostics on my phone - completely normal. Mine does it when using wireless carplay if its on the charger or even on the seat beside me. It does not seem to do it if I am not streaming anything to the carplay but just charging. It also does not do it if plugged in. Its completely the wifi usage from the phone to the car for streaming music, waze, etc.

sucks....

Mn3484 07-04-2019 05:05 AM

So you’re just gonna let it go ?

How can you keep using the car like this it’s supposed to be a highly technological car yet none of the stuff works.

I can’t use a car like this ... on top of all the other issues I’m having I’m really considering complaining to Audi to getting the car exchanged for another model like Q7

jroczniak 07-04-2019 05:28 AM

It isn't an issue with the car - you will get this with any car and wireless carplay from what I have read on various fprums and places like Reddit, Apple forums, etc.

Do you use Spotify? I do and have read that may be the culprit as well....

Nothing in my car does not work - are you having other issues?

I have a 2019 Q7 but it does not have wireless carplay so I cannot replicate this problem.

SYMAWD 07-04-2019 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mn3484 (Post 25338497)
So you’re just gonna let it go ?

How can you keep using the car like this it’s supposed to be a highly technological car yet none of the stuff works.

I can’t use a car like this ... on top of all the other issues I’m having I’m really considering complaining to Audi to getting the car exchanged for another model like Q7

It sounds like an Apple problem, not an Audi problem.

APDspider 07-31-2019 04:06 PM

I just picked up my 2019 A6 yesterday... and same thing... iPhone is very hot. I guess the wireless carplay feature make the phone work hard.

Deanerh 08-01-2019 05:29 PM

I had some of the same issues with the heating up and also slow/freeze occasionally with the phone. I installed the iOS Public Beta 3 and just recently Version 4. So far it's a much smoother Carplay experience. The touch interface is very fast, I haven't had any freezing and while my trips with it in the wireless charging cradle have not been longer than about 20 minutes, it doesn't seem to be getting as hot. I am using Spotify.

A few other things about the interface. The Now Playing screen is much nicer with album art. The new dashboard is a nice touch since it shows the map, next turn instruction and whatever is playing. Interestingly, it will display whatever music app you're playing but the map and direction parts of the dashboard only work with Apple Maps, not Waze or Google Maps. Also, I really like the fact that there's no longer the forced mirroring between the phone and what's displayed on Carplay.

Having said all that, it is a Beta. While Carplay is improved, you will run into a few odd things with just the normal phone/app operation. So far nothing that is serious or would make me want to roll back, but if you're thinking about trying it based on my Carplay comments, think about the whole picture. I used to jailbreak my iPhone so I developed a bit of tolerance for the odd glitch.

djjuice 08-06-2019 11:01 AM

Same here, i noticed that when plugged in or wireless charing when using google maps it gets hot. I've noticed then in rental cars when traveling, it's def the phone

angrypengu 08-06-2019 05:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a known issue. (if it's an iPhone).

See PDF.

ONI1013 08-06-2019 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Deanerh (Post 25349932)
I had some of the same issues with the heating up and also slow/freeze occasionally with the phone. I installed the iOS Public Beta 3 and just recently Version 4. So far it's a much smoother Carplay experience. The touch interface is very fast, I haven't had any freezing and while my trips with it in the wireless charging cradle have not been longer than about 20 minutes, it doesn't seem to be getting as hot. I am using Spotify.

A few other things about the interface. The Now Playing screen is much nicer with album art. The new dashboard is a nice touch since it shows the map, next turn instruction and whatever is playing. Interestingly, it will display whatever music app you're playing but the map and direction parts of the dashboard only work with Apple Maps, not Waze or Google Maps. Also, I really like the fact that there's no longer the forced mirroring between the phone and what's displayed on Carplay.

Having said all that, it is a Beta. While Carplay is improved, you will run into a few odd things with just the normal phone/app operation. So far nothing that is serious or would make me want to roll back, but if you're thinking about trying it based on my Carplay comments, think about the whole picture. I used to jailbreak my iPhone so I developed a bit of tolerance for the odd glitch.

Is this the same thing as the new Car Play coming out on the new iOS 13 in Sept? And is it substantially cooler or still hot, but not so hot that phone shuts off?