AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c8-platform-discussion-229/)
-   -   MHEV / belted alternator starter (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c8-platform-discussion-229/mhev-belted-alternator-starter-2960511/)

DB22 10-29-2018 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by angrypengu (Post 25226889)
That may be my bad. I may have mixed up the Audi UK build sheet/info with Audi US. I've been on a rapid pace when it comes to learning this stuff.

That said I would still ask a dealer. Why? Because in the United States, the E class, as an option, can be ordered with the Acoustic Comfort Package, which gives side acoustic glass and doubles the insulation in the doors and floor pan. I'd be shocked if Audi didn't either build this into the car (so maybe you're right, and it is built into a package) or it didn't offer it as an option.

In Canada, it's not an option because the BMW 5 and Merc E do not have the ability to specify acoustic glass.

Anyways, all this to say, it's a 2 second check once you take your car out for a test drive. Just stare at the window pane with it down, it's obvious, as you know :)

So are you in Canada, UK or USA? Posting you location under your logon name would help numerous readers.

AdamNJ 10-31-2018 02:45 PM

So I test drove a 2019 A8 this past Saturday, one of the first two at my dealership. IMHO, the MHEV / belted alternator starter start / stop system is pretty good. It is not jarring like the pinion starter versions on cars I've rented before. There is a little bit of vibration on restart but from the few times I experienced it during the test drive it wasn't bothering me that I felt I needed to disable it. It felt quick to restart the engine and I tested the "car in front moves" part and it did restart while my foot was still on the brake pedal.

I plan to go back when the A6's start to arrive and test drive again. I need to find another test route for next time which has traffic lights to try it out on though.

angrypengu 11-10-2018 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by AdamNJ (Post 25231114)
So I test drove a 2019 A8 this past Saturday, one of the first two at my dealership. IMHO, the MHEV / belted alternator starter start / stop system is pretty good. It is not jarring like the pinion starter versions on cars I've rented before. There is a little bit of vibration on restart but from the few times I experienced it during the test drive it wasn't bothering me that I felt I needed to disable it. It felt quick to restart the engine and I tested the "car in front moves" part and it did restart while my foot was still on the brake pedal.

I plan to go back when the A6's start to arrive and test drive again. I need to find another test route for next time which has traffic lights to try it out on though.

I just drove the A8 too. It still pissed me off enough for me to disable it, but you are right, it is better.