A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

Parking System Plus Automatic Braking

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Parking System Plus Automatic Braking

Does anyone know if the Parking System Plus (once engaged) has automatic braking to avoid hitting stationary objects? Only reason I ask is that when I first got car, I tested the Parking System Plus with some stationary 3 ft high cardboard boxes, and while sensors beeped, I hit the boxes while going really slow in reverse and forward. So I just assumed system only gives audible and visual alerts, but doesn’t auto brake for you.

However, the other day, was reversing out of parking lot (really slow), and some lady ran right behind my car. Car flashed beep noise and applied brake jolt automatically. So not sure if automatic braking only works for larger moving objects (e.g., pedestrians and cars)?? Looked everywhere on internet and couldn’t confirm.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by ONI1013
Does anyone know if the Parking System Plus (once engaged) has automatic braking to avoid hitting stationary objects? Only reason I ask is that when I first got car, I tested the Parking System Plus with some stationary 3 ft high cardboard boxes, and while sensors beeped, I hit the boxes while going really slow in reverse and forward. So I just assumed system only gives audible and visual alerts, but doesn’t auto brake for you.

However, the other day, was reversing out of parking lot (really slow), and some lady ran right behind my car. Car flashed beep noise and applied brake jolt automatically. So not sure if automatic braking only works for larger moving objects (e.g., pedestrians and cars)?? Looked everywhere on internet and couldn’t confirm.
Reverse braking is only for cross traffic. The system was designed for cars but seems to pick up pedestrians as well. Forward braking isn't active until going above ~6 MPH and is only designed for cars and pedestrians.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Reverse braking is only for cross traffic. The system was designed for cars but seems to pick up pedestrians as well. Forward braking isn't active until going above ~6 MPH and is only designed for cars and pedestrians.
Ahhh — so it doesn’t work for stationary objects? And if cars/pedestrians are parked, you’re on your own to stop from hitting them? It’s interesting b/c I see the system sensors do pick up stationary objects and give audible alerts. It just doesn’t stop car if you keep moving, which I find odd— if it’s going to detect it, why not stop vehicle from hitting it. Thanks for following up.

Update: So discovered car actually does auto-brake when (1) it detects moving objects like cars or pedestrians, and (2) only when your car is still moving. It even does audible alarm when it detects your car is still in motion and about to hit a moving object. Still can’t figure why Audi wouldn’t add auto-brake feature for stationary objects too.

Last edited by ONI1013; 08-13-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for sounding like a newbie, but what is 'Parking System Plus' -- is this a self-parking option? I have the A6 Premium Plus with Hot and Cold Weather packages, 20" wheel package, etc. -- but, cannot find this one...
Old 08-12-2019, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NoVA-Audi
Sorry for sounding like a newbie, but what is 'Parking System Plus' -- is this a self-parking option? I have the A6 Premium Plus with Hot and Cold Weather packages, 20" wheel package, etc. -- but, cannot find this one...
It refers to the array of parking sensors and cameras around your car to assist you navigate when parking. It provides auditory and visual cues as you drive under a certain speed (I think someone mentioned 6 mph or slower). I’m not certain if the front and rear cross traffic alerts is also considered part of the Parking System Plus. But the Park Assist steering is definitely NOT part of the Parking System Plus on the 2019 A6 (at least not in the US). The Park Assist is available on the A3, A5, Q5, and Q7. Also not to be confused with the remote Parking Pilot on the EU models.

Last edited by ONI1013; 08-13-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

All good info above. I have to add we were in stop and go traffic with auto cruise assist on and even though my foot was resting on the brake pedal, the car rolled forward to allow the fast approaching car from behind to stop before hitting us. We rolled about 10 feet closer to the car in front of us and stopped about 3 feet from.them... I thought it was a great feature...
Old 08-13-2019, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Doug2.7
All good info above. I have to add we were in stop and go traffic with auto cruise assist on and even though my foot was resting on the brake pedal, the car rolled forward to allow the fast approaching car from behind to stop before hitting us. We rolled about 10 feet closer to the car in front of us and stopped about 3 feet from.them... I thought it was a great feature...
That’s actually amazing. I knew the Pre-Sense safety feature detects imminent rear collision and tightens seat belt, rolls up windows, and moonroof. Even the A8 models in Europe raises suspension height on side to prepare for side collisions. But never heard of accident avoidance like that.