A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

Power Trunk Opening on Premium Plus?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Power Trunk Opening on Premium Plus?

So I think I discovered a feature that I am not supposed to have; that or I didn't understand it in the first place.

Yesterday I washed my 2019 A6 Premium Plus w/ Driver Assistance and Warm Weather packages added. While drying the rear bumper I crouched down behind it and moved a fluffy microfiber towel across that patterned center section. The trunk popped open. I continued doing it and heard the trunk unlatch motor again (it was still open); key was in my pocket but not being pressed.

So I stood up, closed the trunk and tried the kicking motion, the trunk opened again. I tried it multiple times and it worked to my amazement.

I don't think that I'm supposed to have this feature on a Premium Plus, I thought it was only available on a Prestige. I know the Audi advanced key is described as "keyless start, stop and entry with hands-free trunk release", which I took to mean you don't have to take your key remote out of your pocket or press the button on the remote, you just press the rubber area on the trunk and it opens. Prestige lists "Power trunk, open/close". Why would it it listed like this is Premium Plus already has power open? I can't imagine the power open means anything else since you unlatch it and it opens all the way. Power close of course I don't have.
https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-...ures-and-specs

Anyone else seeing that they have this and didn't think they should?
Old 03-03-2019, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

I thought it had been a standard future for the last 5 years
Old 03-03-2019, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

You do not have a power trunk, the hinges are just strong enough to open it when the latch is unlatched. The power trunk on the Prestige is power open and close like you would see on an SUV.

The kick to open feature is standard on premium plus.
The following users liked this post:
Doug2.7 (08-13-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 10:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamNJ
So I think I discovered a feature that I am not supposed to have; that or I didn't understand it in the first place.

Yesterday I washed my 2019 A6 Premium Plus w/ Driver Assistance and Warm Weather packages added. While drying the rear bumper I crouched down behind it and moved a fluffy microfiber towel across that patterned center section. The trunk popped open. I continued doing it and heard the trunk unlatch motor again (it was still open); key was in my pocket but not being pressed.

So I stood up, closed the trunk and tried the kicking motion, the trunk opened again. I tried it multiple times and it worked to my amazement.

I don't think that I'm supposed to have this feature on a Premium Plus, I thought it was only available on a Prestige. I know the Audi advanced key is described as "keyless start, stop and entry with hands-free trunk release", which I took to mean you don't have to take your key remote out of your pocket or press the button on the remote, you just press the rubber area on the trunk and it opens. Prestige lists "Power trunk, open/close". Why would it it listed like this is Premium Plus already has power open? I can't imagine the power open means anything else since you unlatch it and it opens all the way. Power close of course I don't have.
https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-...ures-and-specs

Anyone else seeing that they have this and didn't think they should?
The “Hands-free trunk release” you referred to is the kick motion sensor under the trunk. It’s part of the Premium Plus trim. And the trunk is NOT powered to open — the hinge is just counter-balanced on springs to open, but hinge is not connected to a motor like the Prestige trims where it provide power to open/close trunk.
The following users liked this post:
Doug2.7 (08-13-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

The kick to open feature is well documented on the A6 forums and it is designed to only open when you don’t need it to.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

yep, the power trunk opening is on the Prestige... Does work well but don't like the idea of it popping open while in my pocket. Only did that once but I was surprised when it happened. I just happen to be walking near the car... Probably a coin or something in my pocket hit the trunk button...
Old 04-25-2019, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have it , but I knew I did 😂
Old 08-12-2019, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So, I stood in my driveway kicking and kicking and kicking -- neighbors probably think I'm nuts. Could not get the trunk to open 'handsfree' for the life of me... Is an addition checkbox required in the MMI? What about locks -- locked, unlocked, or both? TIA!
Old 08-12-2019, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NoVA-Audi
So, I stood in my driveway kicking and kicking and kicking -- neighbors probably think I'm nuts. Could not get the trunk to open 'handsfree' for the life of me... Is an addition checkbox required in the MMI? What about locks -- locked, unlocked, or both? TIA!
Do you have a premium plus trim level? Did you have the keyfob in your pocket? Basically you just kick your foot straight out under the bumper and pull it back straight, one motion. You aren't kung fu fighting. I don't believe it's an option in the MMI, at least I didn't have to change anything from when I picked up the car in regards to this.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AdamNJ
Do you have a premium plus trim level? Did you have the keyfob in your pocket? Basically you just kick your foot straight out under the bumper and pull it back straight, one motion. You aren't kung fu fighting. I don't believe it's an option in the MMI, at least I didn't have to change anything from when I picked up the car in regards to this.
Yes, 2019 A6 Premium Plus. I'll try again after work today. I was kicking side-to-side, vice back-and-forth, if that matters. We'll see.

Quick Reply: Power Trunk Opening on Premium Plus?