A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

What color is this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default What color is this?

Looks too blue to be Daytona Grey Pearl
Old 02-25-2019, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this is Taifun Gray, and was not available in the U.S. when I was looking at the A6 last November. I was told by a sales rep. it would be available for ordering as of March 2019; I have no idea if this is accurate. We did not like the other color options, which is one of the reasons for deciding against the A6.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Stillrestless
I think this is Taifun Gray, and was not available in the U.S. when I was looking at the A6 last November. I was told by a sales rep. it would be available for ordering as of March 2019; I have no idea if this is accurate. We did not like the other color options, which is one of the reasons for deciding against the A6.
Thanks I’ll check it out. Maybe Audi Exclusive? I admit the color palette at Audi is very limited.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That looks pretty close to my condor grey...
Old 02-26-2019, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Definitely Daytona Grey, in fact a classic Daytona Grey shot with those wonderful shading transitions from dark to light. So you can tell it is a pearlescent paint. Colour tones from Daytona depend on the time of day / angle of the light.

Taifun is German for Typhoon, and Typhoon Grey was around on the previous C7 A6 IIRC, and is a standard option colour on the C8 A7, so should be around. It is lighter, and is on the warmer side of the grey scale to my eye.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

And one of the better sources for looking at colours on newer models, which might be hard to find in the wild, is on Audi's media site. Such as here for the A6, although I only saw Typhoon (a lot), Florett, Suzuka Grey, Ibis, Tango Red, Firmament Blue.

https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/...-a6-sedan-1091
Old 02-26-2019, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
Definitely Daytona Grey, in fact a classic Daytona Grey shot with those wonderful shading transitions from dark to light. So you can tell it is a pearlescent paint. Colour tones from Daytona depend on the time of day / angle of the light.

Taifun is German for Typhoon, and Typhoon Grey was around on the previous C7 A6 IIRC, and is a standard option colour on the C8 A7, so should be around. It is lighter, and is on the warmer side of the grey scale to my eye.
A friend has an A8 in Daytona and it doesn’t appear nearly this blue to me. More of a medium grey with a warm undertone.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Corgiman

A friend has an A8 in Daytona and it doesn’t appear nearly this blue to me. More of a medium grey with a warm undertone.
It has at least 4 different mica crystals in it which can both reflect and refract light, and those effects are in turn affected by the colour of ambient light, eg the warmer light of morning/ late afternoon vs midday. Very complex, and it shifts tones from cool to warm, and shading from light to dark. Whilst it hides dirt well, it needs to be clean to do the light shifting magic. Otherwise it just looks like another grey. I really liked it on my A7, it is an icon Audi paint finish.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

If it's 2019 A6 then it could be Vesuvius Gray...
Old 02-26-2019, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Check out some YouTube videos on the C8 A6. Some videos around the time the car was introduced last spring had cars with Taifun Gray. To us, it is much more appealing than Daytona Gray.

Quick Reply: What color is this?