A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

01 A6 2.7t with 6 Speed manual - Need Clutch/ Transmission Problem help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 A6 2.7t with 6 Speed manual - Need Clutch/ Transmission Problem help!!!

Hi everyone.

I've searched the archives a bit, but still have some questions..

My Clutch is out completely.
Before that happened, I couldn't engage 2nd Gear.
All other gears were fine. Reverse was getting a little "funky" feeling, but all others were fine.

From what most people have told me, the "brass sliders" have worn out, and I most likely don't need a full rebuild. It seems like this is a fairly common problem... is it?

Anyhoo, I have someone that can do the work, but I most likely will need to buy the parts.

Anybody have any specials on a clutch?
Where should I buy from?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!
Old 10-16-2009, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I'll take a stab at this, since no one else is

Originally Posted by Fruity Yummy Mummy
Hi everyone.

I've searched the archives a bit, but still have some questions..

My Clutch is out completely.
Before that happened, I couldn't engage 2nd Gear.
All other gears were fine. Reverse was getting a little "funky" feeling, but all others were fine.

From what most people have told me, the "brass sliders" have worn out, and I most likely don't need a full rebuild. It seems like this is a fairly common problem... is it?

Anyhoo, I have someone that can do the work, but I most likely will need to buy the parts.

Anybody have any specials on a clutch?
Where should I buy from?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!
Sounds like you have a transmission problem as well as a clutch problem.
Do you agree?
How many miles, what mods do you have, and what are your future mods?
I don't know much about rebuilding the transmission. I've got 195k on my A6, and 150k were chipped. I'm not abusive to my car, but I don't baby it either. While I've heard about transmission problems like you've described, I don't think it's common/
Describe the problem better, and answer the questions I've posed to you, and maybe we can point you in the right direction.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

yea, your 2nd gear synchros are gone. Common. Apparently the 1st owner couldn't shift very well. Which also explains the clutch. I'll point out i have had audi clutches last > 300,000 miles. The rest is probably fine, but he will know when its apart. Done be cheap - R&R $1000+; part $50

Dunno about clutch deals.

G
Old 10-17-2009, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

This is very common. Its nto the fault of the tranny - its the (hopefully previous) driver. the 1-2 shift is both the most common,a nd the widest spacing. So if you just push it into 2nd the synchros do a lot of work to match engine to tranny shaft speeds. They are designed to wear - they are soft brass. You will ALWAYS see 2nd gear get crunchy before the others.

The 6-sp tranny is actually very, very robust, as is the clutch. This tells you something, eh? Hard life.

Grant
Old 10-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanks for the replies so far...

Thanks everyone.

I just had it towed today, so I'm going to have them opening it up in the next few days. They say they know what to look for, but I just want to get a second opinion so I don't have to pay for something that doesn't need to be replaced.

Car has 104,000 miles on it. Powertrain is bone stock. Future mods: not sure. I'd like to chip it and magnaflow it. That's about it.

This is my everyday car and would like to keep it running to 200K miles. (Gulp! )

JustMe-

What's R&R $1000?

Also. What's the difference between the sliders and the synchros?
And if I put the new clutch in, and just redo the 2nd gear synchro, am I safe to assume that the others should be OK?

Or is there something else I should be replacing since it's opened up??

ALSO (Sorry) What else besides the clutch should I make sure they replace (Throwout bearings, flywheel, etc.)

The clutch went out completely and I cannot engage into any gear right now!!

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And am I too
Old 10-20-2009, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

They should do the throw-out bearing. Flywheel will depend on it's condition when they open it up. OEM and equivalent clutches are not TOO expensive, but if you're thinking of chipping it might be worth going to a stage2 to absorb the extra power. My Awe clutch and lightweight flywheel were about $1500 parts back in Jan2007. FYI, no difference in pedal effort or throw.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Fruity Yummy Mummy

Also. What's the difference between the sliders and the synchros?
And if I put the new clutch in, and just redo the 2nd gear synchro, am I safe to assume that the others should be OK?
Often the collar gets damaged, and replacing the syncro with a damaged collar won't fix anything. If you open it up it's wisest to replace the 1-2 updated collar assemblies and updated syncros and be done with it.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Boa noite amigo

Sou do Brasil.
Possuo um Blogger no Google que comento sobre A6 2.7 Quattro Biturbo onde indico diversos links de videos do Youtube, para informações gerais.
Seu veiculo está de parabens por ter atingido 246.700 Mile (397.507 Km) e por isto peço sua autorização para postar sua foto acima, pois isto irá interessar a muitos que já seguem meu blog.

Não vou divulgar o link pois não tenho autorização para isto.

Abraço.

Google translate :
Goodnight friend

I'm from Brazil.
I have a Blogger on Google that I comment on A6 2.7 Quattro Biturbo where I indicate several links of Youtube videos, for general information.
Your vehicle is of congratulations for reaching 246,700 Mile (397,507 Km) and for this I ask your permission to post your photo above, as this will interest many who already follow my blog.

I will not release the link because I have no authorization for this.

Best regards
Old 11-27-2016, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This link explains problem why you can't get into 2nd gear.
Had same problem & rebuilt my 01E trans via parts & how-to video from JHM.
If you're a DIY'er, the video is well worth the $$.
Also search youtube "jhm motorsports audi transmission".
Changed all syncros & 1-2 shift collar.
After rebuild trans work perfectly.
Alas, we eventually sold the Audi, as my son move on to a newer car.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ok I just bought a 2001 a6 2.7t and the kid said it would need a clutch soon but it drove fine the first night then it wont engage any gear now not even reverse but theres stiffness in the clutch pedal ? I'm new to this please help

Quick Reply: 01 A6 2.7t with 6 Speed manual - Need Clutch/ Transmission Problem help!!!