A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

03 A6 3.0 very stubborn, tensioners, cams, sensors, timing ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 05:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting the same thing on my 1.8 liter turbo. Much forum about the "Incorr correlation" warning. I tried moving my cam notch one tooth clockwise, but the problem got worse. Car drives fine once moving, but hesitates, and bogs down. I think this is most likely my cam timing between sprockets is incorrect. I don't know how it could be, I zip tied it while we moved it to the new head? Your thoughts?

Thanks, Jeff
Old 05-08-2013, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff W
I am getting the same thing on my 1.8 liter turbo. Much forum about the "Incorr correlation" warning. I tried moving my cam notch one tooth clockwise, but the problem got worse. Car drives fine once moving, but hesitates, and bogs down. I think this is most likely my cam timing between sprockets is incorrect. I don't know how it could be, I zip tied it while we moved it to the new head? Your thoughts?

Thanks, Jeff
So are you actually getting an error code regarding correlation?

In any case, get the timing tools for the 1.8T and reset the timing.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't mean to wake up an old thread but the findings on the issue were mind bending. My friend thought the problem was solved but then the issues returned very quickly. He actually bought this engine from an aircraft mechanic. The guy did some work on it and he actually managed to install the flywheel plate wrong. I can only imagine how hard that moron had to try to be able to install it wrong since the holes are offset. So that's where the correlation issue was coming from. I'm pretty surprised the engine even started. I remember suggesting to my friend that the flywheel might be offset but we quickly shrugged that off because we both knew it can only be installed in one position. Oh how wrong we were....
Old 06-24-2014, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by odoboyusa
Don't mean to wake up an old thread but the findings on the issue were mind bending. My friend thought the problem was solved but then the issues returned very quickly. He actually bought this engine from an aircraft mechanic. The guy did some work on it and he actually managed to install the flywheel plate wrong. I can only imagine how hard that moron had to try to be able to install it wrong since the holes are offset. So that's where the correlation issue was coming from. I'm pretty surprised the engine even started. I remember suggesting to my friend that the flywheel might be offset but we quickly shrugged that off because we both knew it can only be installed in one position. Oh how wrong we were....
Murphy's law is anything that CAN go wrong, will.
A corollary to ML is that Murphy was an optimist.

Love this site: http://www.murphys-laws.com/murphy/murphy-laws.html
Old 07-10-2014, 06:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Actually I didn't do didley. Sorry guys. I have the car running better than the Krauts originally designed old farfegnugen. With the cam retarded one tooth, and the rear drive line disconnected at the transmission(shaft and it's weight completely left at the curb), if you include the seats, the deer weight hanging off the left rear corner of the car(behind the valence), all totaling 150 pounds, you have a monster with so much torque that you get these really ripping second and third gear scratches. Tach limit differences are nominal that it is one tooth. Careful, it you rip it too hard, it will sheer all the flywheel bolts from the crank. I've driven a TT ten years, so I can handle it in two wheel drive and in clover-leaf side-slides entering the highway. Audi........For those with Brains, Ballls, and Bucks!
Old 02-15-2015, 12:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by odoboyusa
So I figured i should come back with results, the engine is working
Unfortunately my friend did several things and not sure which exact one fixed the issue. Maybe a combination.
- he replaced a defective vacuum check valve - air would flow both ways
- he pulled the oil pan and cleaned a little bit of dirt from the oil sump screen
- he replaced a sealing ring (like a piston ring) that is mounted on the camshaft end, to allow oil to flow from the head to the camshaft then through the camshaft to the adjuster. There are two channels sealed by 3 rings.

He also checked the adjusters by taking them apart. Both exhaust camshafts have a locking pin in the most forward (i guess advanced) position. Oil pressure is needed to unlock these and let them fall back. Not enough oil pressure, no unlock...

Thanks for all the help and ideas!
I hate to go back in time like this, but I'm working on my 02 3.0 and I noticed one of my camshaft adjuster oil rings is broken. I see that you said your friend replaced them and I can't for the life of me find them anywhere. Can you tell ]me where he bought them? I searched for them as oil rings and camshaft adjuster piston rings (like it is labeled on Elsawin) but I can't seem to find them anywhere. I Hope you can guide me in the right direction. Many thanks in advance. Name:  2015-02-15.jpg
Views: 2515
Size:  24.4 KB
Old 02-15-2015, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoboyd06
I hate to go back in time like this, but I'm working on my 02 3.0 and I noticed one of my camshaft adjuster oil rings is broken. I see that you said your friend replaced them and I can't for the life of me find them anywhere. Can you tell ]me where he bought them? I searched for them as oil rings and camshaft adjuster piston rings (like it is labeled on Elsawin) but I can't seem to find them anywhere. I Hope you can guide me in the right direction. Many thanks in advance. Attachment 45141
Have you tried the audi dealer?
Old 02-15-2015, 12:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

No I haven't, unfortunately they are closed today. I read in another thread that they will only sell the complete camshaft. I'll have to call them tomorrow and cross my finger that they carry that ring alone.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoboyd06
I hate to go back in time like this, but I'm working on my 02 3.0 and I noticed one of my camshaft adjuster oil rings is broken. I see that you said your friend replaced them and I can't for the life of me find them anywhere. Can you tell ]me where he bought them? I searched for them as oil rings and camshaft adjuster piston rings (like it is labeled on Elsawin) but I can't seem to find them anywhere. I Hope you can guide me in the right direction. Many thanks in advance. Attachment 45141
The Cam Sealing Ring part numbers are in this service bulletin along with other related info. CORRECTION; just the seals are listed not cam rings
"my mistake" sorry
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AUDI_2010-12-12_233356_a6.pdf (307.2 KB, 1182 views)

Last edited by jcman; 02-15-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't know if i'm missing something but I didn't see the part the I need in the parts list. Thanks for trying to help me I never expected such quick responses you guys are awesome.

Quick Reply: 03 A6 3.0 very stubborn, tensioners, cams, sensors, timing ?