A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

03 A6 3.0 very stubborn, tensioners, cams, sensors, timing ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 01:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcman
Before you go any further make sure that the cam adjuster housing is not scored by the broken ring tabs, don't ignore this advice because those ring seals hold back oil pressure to adjust the cams and you will be dealing with one of the codes on the cam service bulletin that I presented a few threads ago.

Refer to the end section of the pdf regarding the cam ring orientation and the stage of repair you are in, Good Luck!
Thanks for all the help I ended up changing 6 between both heads.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
What's the p/n for the heckuvit?
I don't remember the part number but I did end up finding them Much cheaper unfortunately it was after I bought them.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoboyd06
Thanks for all the help I ended up changing 6 between both heads.
Excellent!

In the glory of this news I will proclaim that Yoboyd06 is the Man!

In the daring attempt to do what (seems to be no member in this forum have done..at least I've yet to read) few have done with integrity and determination, Staring Down That 3.0 And Showing It A Thing Or Two!

Glad for you and to be of some assistance on this project.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Excellent!

In the glory of this news I will proclaim that Yoboyd06 is the Man!

In the daring attempt to do what (seems to be no member in this forum have done..at least I've yet to read) few have done with integrity and determination, Staring Down That 3.0 And Showing It A Thing Or Two!

Glad for you and to be of some assistance on this project.
I wish that was the case. unfortunately I managed to bend a valve. I put the car back togethere and it started but it sounded like there was no compression. I did a compression test, all cylinders with the exception of cylinder 3 had between 120 and 145 psi. Cylinder 3 had zero. Tdc was set Right, I even confirmed it by sticking a long extension in cylinder 3 and rotate the crank the piston was at the top and the crank line up with the mark on tb cover. Now im inthe process of removing the head to fix it. My question is. Will I need to replace the headgasket and bolts again. ive only turned the car on twice since I replaced the gaskets and bolts. Also upon taking the camshaft gear cover off I discovered that the oring was leaking oil and it got oN my brandnew timing belt can I just clean The belt and use it or did the oil ruin it?.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoboyd06
I wish that was the case. unfortunately I managed to bend a valve. I put the car back togethere and it started but it sounded like there was no compression. I did a compression test, all cylinders with the exception of cylinder 3 had between 120 and 145 psi. Cylinder 3 had zero. Tdc was set Right, I even confirmed it by sticking a long extension in cylinder 3 and rotate the crank the piston was at the top and the crank line up with the mark on tb cover. Now im inthe process of removing the head to fix it. My question is. Will I need to replace the headgasket and bolts again. ive only turned the car on twice since I replaced the gaskets and bolts. Also upon taking the camshaft gear cover off I discovered that the oring was leaking oil and it got oN my brandnew timing belt can I just clean The belt and use it or did the oil ruin it?.
Yea I saw that on the A4 forum too, over here though you didn't mention any word on having the heads sent out to a shop.
The bolts and gaskets are one time only and that's for sure, I can't answer the oil ring leak as it could be the end seal.
Clean the belt with mild soap and water, it should be fine.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yea I saw that on the A4 forum too, over here though you didn't mention any word on having the heads sent out to a shop.
The bolts and gaskets are one time only and that's for sure, I can't answer the oil ring leak as it could be the end seal.
Clean the belt with mild soap and water, it should be fine.
Thanks a lot. The oil is leaking from the o ring on the camshaft cap I ordered all new ones now. I could have sworn I said I had the heads pressure tested and resurfaced Sorry.