A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

03 A6 Quattro Audi Doors wont open at all... even unlocked

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 A6 Quattro Audi Doors wont open at all... even unlocked

I've been having this issue with my Audi A6 Quattro 2003 where my driver door and my back left door would randomly not open at all and would require me to bang the door to get it to open, now the driver door wont open at all from both the inside and outside even with banging and pushing... my back left door is starting to do the same thing but i can still after a few shoves and bangs get it to open, and now my back right door is starting to refuse to open (early stage where only one bang/tap/shove will open it and is rare) my passenger door is the only one that works fine.

also when the driver door was opening i would have to softly close it otherwise it would not fully close (1/2" of space between door and car) and i would have to re-close it, and sometimes even with soft closes it wouldn't close fully and i would have to repeatedly open and close to get it fully closed.

I've looked on other threads and it could be the wiring, but I'm thinking it might be with the actual lock latch itself (latch getting stuck and even though the door is going through the motions of unlocking, it cant do anything as the latch gets stuck --this could also explain the door not closing properly too, maybe--)

Is there any way to fix this with it being stuck in this position, and if it ever opens what should i do.
Thanks
Old 06-10-2017, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

lubricate the latches and see if it makes a difference
Old 06-17-2017, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Still doesnt work

Originally Posted by twopedalwarrior
lubricate the latches and see if it makes a difference
Finally was able to open the door, but did not last.... I sprayed the hinges, the locks, the latches, everything i could find, then i closed the door and locked the doors to see if it fixed it, and it unlocked the first time and opened, but then after closing the door again and locking it again, and then unlocking the door, the door went back to the same issue of not opening.

im going to try to take the door apart and see if i can spray some lubrication inside the door to see if that helps any.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

When the door(s) don't open, are the lock buttons up or down? I don't think a misalignment issue with the latches would migrate from door to door. Same with lubrication. If the lock buttons don't pop up when you hit unlock then probably an electrical issue. Have you tried using the key in the lock instead of using the fob to unlock? Lots of questions here.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a 2001 that the driver's door sometimes does not open from the outside. Have to pull the handle a few times before it opens. I am assuming the latch mechanism is just worn out. Have not yet torn apart the door to see. Understand the door latch inside is a pain to replace so I am procrastinating.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

ok another thought I have is the child locks. There are two types on the cars. There is the button on the door frame that enables/disables the child locks. maybe something is fouew with that and messing with the central locking system

have you scanned for codes in the central locking system?
Old 06-22-2017, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've seen this with other German cars. (BMW 5 series) When the door latch fails it won't open at all. You have to dismember the door to get it open! I don't know for sure if it's an electrical failure, but I'm inclined to think it's mechanical, as I've seen this dozens of times at parts yards.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Harleyguy
When the door(s) don't open, are the lock buttons up or down? I don't think a misalignment issue with the latches would migrate from door to door. Same with lubrication. If the lock buttons don't pop up when you hit unlock then probably an electrical issue. Have you tried using the key in the lock instead of using the fob to unlock? Lots of questions here.
(I logged in using a different account)
The lock buttons go up(visually everything is working fine but functionally nope), I am thinking mechanical, the key fob hasn't worked for years(haven't replaced the battery yet, dead battery), I just found out (from my parents-first owners) that they had the doors repaired or something a while back (within a few years of purchase) and since then they never were the same, it could be that whatever they did caused this down the road 5-10 years later to occur with all the doors. This problem only occurs after locking the doors. The problem does not occur when I leave the doors unlocked.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by AC.electronics Inc
I've been having this issue with my Audi A6 Quattro 2003 where my driver door and my back left door would randomly not open at all and would require me to bang the door to get it to open, now the driver door wont open at all from both the inside and outside even with banging and pushing... my back left door is starting to do the same thing but i can still after a few shoves and bangs get it to open, and now my back right door is starting to refuse to open (early stage where only one bang/tap/shove will open it and is rare) my passenger door is the only one that works fine.

also when the driver door was opening i would have to softly close it otherwise it would not fully close (1/2" of space between door and car) and i would have to re-close it, and sometimes even with soft closes it wouldn't close fully and i would have to repeatedly open and close to get it fully closed.

I've looked on other threads and it could be the wiring, but I'm thinking it might be with the actual lock latch itself (latch getting stuck and even though the door is going through the motions of unlocking, it cant do anything as the latch gets stuck --this could also explain the door not closing properly too, maybe--)

Is there any way to fix this with it being stuck in this position, and if it ever opens what should i do.
Thanks
This is happening in all of my VW's and Audi's. Just bought an A6 Avant C5 and it has the same problem. One common thing all these cars had was leaks in the sunroof pillars. Moisture got into the vehicle and affected the lock modules. Moisture in the car will affect these parts in a negative way.

You can replace them and the parts are relative cheap on Ebay but they are from China so not sure about the quality. You can try VW/Audi recyclers but its a gamble. Brand new is not cheap.

You can also try to repair them if you are handy and have the time to get it done.
This guy has a detailed video that will outline the problem, show you why they fail and how to fix them.

Good Luck!
Old 07-06-2017, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by TwisTTer
This is happening in all of my VW's and Audi's. Just bought an A6 Avant C5 and it has the same problem. One common thing all these cars had was leaks in the sunroof pillars. Moisture got into the vehicle and affected the lock modules. Moisture in the car will affect these parts in a negative way.

You can replace them and the parts are relative cheap on Ebay but they are from China so not sure about the quality. You can try VW/Audi recyclers but its a gamble. Brand new is not cheap.

You can also try to repair them if you are handy and have the time to get it done.
This guy has a detailed video that will outline the problem, show you why they fail and how to fix them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcRsmwi6EBM

Good Luck!
This sounds like this may be what happened, as the roof is leaking on the car, and also the AC unit leaks inside the car too(apparently the AC drain keeps getting plugged, it has gotten to the point that the radio is no longer working(no power to radio completely fried)

The car has been leaking for a few years now, there is already a black water stain on the back of the car ceiling.

Thanks

I probably will just end up getting rid of this car and getting a new/newer car as this vehicle has been a $$ drain...
Ive just been leaving my vehicle unlocked 100% of the time and leaving nothing in the vehicle that's worth anything. I wish this was a simple fix.

Quick Reply: 03 A6 Quattro Audi Doors wont open at all... even unlocked