A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

04 Avant Inoperable FOB and Alarm Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 07:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Avant Inoperable FOB and Alarm Problem

I have searched for a possible cause for this and have not found anything similar to my issue. A few days ago, when I went to unlock my car with the fob the car did not respond. I tried to open the door using my key but found that the key would not turn. My rear hatch lock doesn't work so I opened the hatch and crawled through to the drivers seat. I was able to start the car but the alarm kept going off. I drove to an autoparts store and grabbed a new battery for the fob but that did not help. The door locks would not respond to the fob but pressing either the lock or unlock buttons did make the alarm pause briefly so the signal is being received. My spare fob also no longer works, however it also causes the alarm to pause. I pulled up the carpet and checked the computer enclosure and wiring. It looks like brand new, with no evidence of moisture anywhere under the carpet. I wish the rest of the car looked as good. I pulled the #38 fuse which stopped the alarm but now I can't lock the car. Has anyone experienced anything similar? The car has 143k on it. Because I can't get the door lock to turn, I can't try pairing the fobs.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Get a scan done. It will probably tell you what the problem is right away. It sort of sounds like the lock control module in the driver's door is bad.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I only have an auto-com scanner but it can access the central locking and immobilizer. It didn't show any codes. If it is the door lock module, would that be a failure in the board? I replaced the micro-switch a couple of years ago to get the interior lights working again. Maybe it's worth pulling the module out to take a look. I need to figure out why the key doesn't work anyway. Just to confirm, the door locks on these cars are supposed to turn with the key to unlock the door, correct? I have driven this car 70,000 miles and never used the key to open the door so the fact that it doesn't work is quite a surprise.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I put Fuse 38 back in and the alarm went off so I hooked up my auto-com and checked the codes. There were a bunch so I cleared them with the door closed and the car running and then checked them again. I got 01371 driver door open, 01374 alarm from terminal 15 and 00955 Key 1; adaptation limit exceeded. I cleared them and then checked it again and got 01562 right rear door can not unlock. Which is weird because it locks and unlocks fine. I even toggled it through the computer. I cleared these codes and then checked it again and got 00955 and 01562 again.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

sounds like your driver door locking mechanism is bad or maybe the wiring in the front door hinge area. Did you try to lube the lock cylinder to free it up? Don't worry about the rear door not locking code, mine has done the same thing for years. The door locks and unlocks, but not as fast as the computer likes.

A VCDS scan would be helpful so you could look at each of the door locks and see it the open/closed measuring blocks match door positions.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My scanner shows the right rear door lock open when it is locked. The door locks and unlocks but according to my scanner the car doesn't recognize it as being locked when it is. I'll take a look at that wiring and the switch. Tried spraying the door lock with penetrating oil but it won't turn. I have a feeling that the used car lot where I bought this thing did something creative and I never noticed because I never used the key. The key inserts easily but won't turn. I can't even get the key inserted more than half way in the rear hatch. Might be time for 2 cylinders and a matching ignition.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

right rear microswitch might be the issue. Your issue there is different from mine where measuring blocks were OK, but lag threw the fault. I agree that it might be time for new lock cylinders. Maybe go to a good locksmith for advice. Not sure if they can code cylinders to existing keys.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Still thinking the lock control module is either bad or has faulty wiring. Check the wiring in the rubber boot where it routes the wiring from the "A" pillar to the door. Common stress point. Do a scan with a VAG specific scan tool. You will get more complete information. It could be that too many keys have been paired with the car and the system memory has hit it's limit (based on fault 00955). More likely the lock control module in the driver door. Yes the laser cut keys should turn the lock mechanically. The fact that they don't kind of indicates they are replacement keys and possibly never properly paired to the car. Ross Tech is the preferred option for diagnostics. The cost could be recouped in this instance alone as replacement keys are close to or over $200 depending on source. Avoid cheap "knock-off" replacement parts as you will be disappointed and probably get the same results as your current situation.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I now have a Ross Tech HEX-V2. I ran a scan and the following codes: 00955 - Key 1 09-00 - Adaptation Limit Surpassed; 01570 Turn-Off Delay, Terminal 15, 29-10 Short to Ground - Intermittent; 01562 - Right rear door, 59-00 - Can't unlock; and 01482 - Motors for Central Locking 29-00 - Short to ground.

This was after putting fuse 38 back in. The right rear door lock works fine from the door switch but apparently it doesn't think so. I can see it registering as locked and unlocked in the block scan though.

I checked the wiring inside the boot to the driver's door and it all looked good. Maybe I'll have to look again. Is the short to ground something that could be in a door module? All of the wiring I can see looks like new.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well I made some progress at least. I was able to get the remotes working again. The only codes that come up now are right rear door can't unlock even though it works fine from the door switch and both key fobs. Didn't see any broken wires or bad connectors though. I'll just have to wait for it to fail completely I guess. I unplugged the alarm anyway so when it does I won't have to listen to it while I'm driving around with my lights flashing.

Quick Reply: 04 Avant Inoperable FOB and Alarm Problem