A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Use of a chain breaker?

Old 08-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Use of a chain breaker?

How does anyone feel about using a chain breaker/riveter to split cam chains for easier chain adjuster replacement?

I know some SAAB and odd Merc applications use it on their chains, motorcycles too... They seem to get away with it ok.

I realize it could be a potential weak point in the chain, but I don't see it being too big of an issue as long as the pin is properly peened over.

Something like this:
Heavy Duty Chain Breaker

Though I think that's a little big for the #35 (?) chain Audi uses.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by seishuku
How does anyone feel about using a chain breaker/riveter to split cam chains for easier chain adjuster replacement?

I know some SAAB and odd Merc applications use it on their chains, motorcycles too... They seem to get away with it ok.

I realize it could be a potential weak point in the chain, but I don't see it being too big of an issue as long as the pin is properly peened over.

Something like this:
Heavy Duty Chain Breaker

Why don't you try it and let us know how it works?
Old 08-04-2014, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by seishuku

Something like this:
Heavy Duty Chain Breaker

I vote that you should ignore the common wisdom and be the first to try this shortcut!
Old 08-04-2014, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure how doing that is really that much easier. I just remove the intake cam and the chain and tensioner come right out. And then right back in. Removing the cam caps takes minutes. And For some reason I think that the cam sprocket is in the way of the lower tensioner shoe from allowing the whole tensioner to come out with both cams in place. I just have never tried.

Plenty of manufactures like JWS will have split chains available, with alittle master link and you peen them over. I have used them before

Last edited by Prospeeder; 08-04-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Not sure how doing that is really that much easier. I just remove the intake cam and the chain and tensioner come right out. And then right back in. Removing the cam caps takes minutes. And For some reason I think that the cam sprocket is in the way of the lower tensioner shoe from allowing the whole tensioner to come out with both cams in place. I just have never tried.

Plenty of manufactures like JWS will have split chains available, with alittle master link and you peen them over. I have used them before
Do you lock the crankshaft and the (exhaust) cams with the cam bar when you change out the tensioners?
Old 08-05-2014, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Do you lock the crankshaft and the (exhaust) cams with the cam bar when you change out the tensioners?
No just turn the engine over until the pointers on the cams are lined up with the bearing caps. And Then remove the intake cam and chain, and reinstall, make sure there are the 16 links between mark to mark. The lock bar is for belt timing only
Old 08-05-2014, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by georgeb944
I vote that you should ignore the common wisdom and be the first to try this shortcut!
thats funny right there.. you forgot the "report back" bit on the end
Old 08-05-2014, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
No just turn the engine over until the pointers on the cams are lined up with the bearing caps. And Then remove the intake cam and chain, and reinstall, make sure there are the 16 links between mark to mark. The lock bar is for belt timing only
Thanks..I'll try it! I'll try not to remove the chain from the sprockets too…that chain count drives me nuts.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you can squeeze the the intake cam sprocket by, but it's a tight fit (I've done it) and I don't like flexing the chain that much in a direction it's not supposed to go!

I'm not really planning on doing it this way, I was just wondering how others felt about it.
The industrial mechanic in me says it shouldn't be an issue (peened rivits or master link with the clip going the right direction), but I don't know exactly how much stress that chain is really under while running.