A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2.7T leaking coolant from rear of passenger oil pan / alternator with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have that exact same picture on my computer at home when I was trying to diagnose the same coolant leak. Your leak is at the thermostat housing seal. I let mine go long enough that the waterpump gasket also started to leak and a coolant stalagtite formed on the oil filter also.

My leaks happened after 35-40k miles on the Blauparts kit. They supply OEM comparable parts except for the thermostat. They give you a Meyle one with a cheap rubber ring seal and it doesn't last long enough to get to the next timing belt interval.

I went with ECS's TB kit and they gave me the same Meyle thermo. I would recommend with whatever kit you get, to toss the Meyle one and get a Behr or OE. You may also want to upgrade to the metal thermostat housing, because the plastic ones may warp and leak prematurely.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This leaks looks like the thermostat housing leak. You most likely have the plastic thermostat flange pipe and it needs replacing along with the seal and thermostat.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

I assume that you've resolved this by now.

I was plagued by a mysterious coolant leak for months. It would only leak after I shut the car off, which drove me nuts. I could rarely catch it, and even then there was simply no way to spot the source.

I've had two major leaks with my 2.7:

1. Water pump/thermostat
2. Auxiliary water pump

The first comes from the front of the block and can make it to the oil pan, but it's obvious that it's not coming from the rear. You can't replace the thermostat gasket w/o doing the timing belt, so that entire area is a TB job. I'm getting good at that one now, since I've done it three times now (long story).

The second looks just like the first image in this thread. It's clearly in the back of the engine, but otherwise, impossible to pinpoint. This past weekend I finally nailed this leak by replacing the aux pump. I tried to follow the directions kindly given by another member, as linked to in this thread, but I soon gave up. I simply couldn't follow what was being described. What's a TBB, for instance? Makes me think of a throttle body, but what's the extra "b" for? Anyway, I managed to get replace the pump by simply figuring out what needed to come off in order to lift the intake. Including the test drive, the job tool 2.5 hours, which I was happy with. I replaced the clamps with traditional stainless hose clamps. Didn't want to risk putting it all back together and have another leak.

If I block one end of the pump I removed and blow in it, the seam between the plastic body halves is the source of the leak. The pump is pretty cool, in that it's a magnetic coupling between the motor and the pump. I had never seen one before.

Good luck and don't be afraid of the aux pump job. It's not difficult if you've done a few repairs on an audi in the past so you know you have the tools and experience with their connectors, etc.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

TBB is Throttle Body Boot. BTW, I've heard that aux pump comes out with the Intake Manifold (IM, catch it in context) still installed...the hose(s) are used to pull the pump out and the new one in, I guess the electric harness is long enough. Having never tried it, though.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

The pump is mounted to the block below the intake. When you lift the intake it stays in place. There are two sleeves for the motor that have points that sit down into the block. Then there's a largish (7mm?) allen bolt that holds the hoses to the block. I had read the theory that you can pull the pump out w/o lifting the intake, but that wouldn't be possible because of the hoses. Additionally, the electric connector come in from the rear and it's quite short. It took me a couple of minutes to work mine off - it had very little working length, so I couldn't just pull it out and disconnect it in the open.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Todd Beaulieu
The pump is mounted to the block below the intake. When you lift the intake it stays in place. There are two sleeves for the motor that have points that sit down into the block. Then there's a largish (7mm?) allen bolt that holds the hoses to the block. I had read the theory that you can pull the pump out w/o lifting the intake, but that wouldn't be possible because of the hoses. Additionally, the electric connector come in from the rear and it's quite short. It took me a couple of minutes to work mine off - it had very little working length, so I couldn't just pull it out and disconnect it in the open.
you can remove the aux pump without removing the intake, ive seen it
Old 12-11-2012, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey. I am doing some research on this because I have a slow coolant leak that seems to be getting worse over the past few weeks. We have tried finding the leak by lifting it up but to no success...It seems to leak the most after a longer drive (so when the engine really heats up). The leak appears to be behind the engine (somewhere rear right) and almost seems like there may be more than one leak???

I am replacing the timing belt this weekend and was wondering if there is anything that will tip me off to an Aux Water Pump leak? Or anything else.???
Old 12-11-2012, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

It does sound like the aux pump to me. It doesn't leak when the car is running. Only after a drive and NEVER when you are watching it!

It's not a bad fix, especially if you're doing the timing belt. I'd definitely order that pump if I were you. In theory you could probably repair the pump because it's a silly rubber o ring that fails, BUT ... you'd have to spend time trying to find a match for it while the car's apart. Easier to just replace the whole thing.

Check out Parts Geek ...

2004 Audi Allroad Quattro Auxiliary Water Pump Cooling System Price: $87.10 Core: $0.00 Qty: 1 Part #: W0133-1605230
Old 12-11-2012, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

I'll take your word for it since I haven't done it. Thank you!
Old 12-11-2012, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

I should have mentioned ... I found no way of really verifying that the pump was leaking without lifting the manifold. Once removed it was easy to spot. Crusted coolant on the pump and block. The coolant leaks down the back side of the engine and is impossible to pinpoint.

When you lift the manifold, it will expose your pretty valves. Just be careful not to let debris fall in them.

Oh, and I also ordered intake gaskets. Honestly, I think I did the entire job in under two hours, so you should be able to do it quicker if you're already in there.

2004 Audi Allroad Quattro Intake Manifold Gasket Engine Mechanical Price: $5.10 Core: $0.00 Qty: 2 Part #: W0133-1641420

Quick Reply: 2.7T leaking coolant from rear of passenger oil pan / alternator with pictures