A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2.7T leaking coolant from rear of passenger oil pan / alternator with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was the problem fixed by changing the aux pump?

Hello,

I am having the exact same issue as described in the original message:

"2.7T leaking coolant from rear of passenger oil pan / alternator"

"Its on the rear of the passenger side oil pan very close to the alternator?"

Please let me know.

Thank you.

Wade

Originally Posted by hewtown
Sure sounds like the aux pump to me, which I believe is only activated after the engine has been shut off.

I replaced mine in my 2001 A6 2.7T over the last couple of weeks. See my recent posts/threads for all of my trials and tribulations through the process.

When I was at your stage of the game, diagnosis was a problem... I really had no clue how to tell for sure where this slowish leak was coming from. Finally my hand was forced when the thing blew wide open and every drop of coolant I put in poured right out the bottom.

Anyway, you can do this fix on your own if it is the aux pump... and I say that because I did it, and if I did then anyone can.

I'm lurking on here every day, so feel free to ask any questions and I'll do what I can to help.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Same symptoms, changed the Aux pump, still leaks.

My A6 has exactly the symptoms described in the top of this thread so I changed the Auxiliary pump, and it still leaks.

Suggestions?

Originally Posted by hewtown
Sure sounds like the aux pump to me, which I believe is only activated after the engine has been shut off.

I replaced mine in my 2001 A6 2.7T over the last couple of weeks. See my recent posts/threads for all of my trials and tribulations through the process.

When I was at your stage of the game, diagnosis was a problem... I really had no clue how to tell for sure where this slowish leak was coming from. Finally my hand was forced when the thing blew wide open and every drop of coolant I put in poured right out the bottom.

Anyway, you can do this fix on your own if it is the aux pump... and I say that because I did it, and if I did then anyone can.

I'm lurking on here every day, so feel free to ask any questions and I'll do what I can to help.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Same issue

Originally Posted by Wade Henderson
My A6 has exactly the symptoms described in the top of this thread so I changed the Auxiliary pump, and it still leaks.

Suggestions?
Hey, don’t know if you ever got it figured out but I did the same just changed the aux pump and it’s still leaking did you ever figure out from where?
Old 10-25-2017, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's what I would do....look as best you can under the intake manifold to see if you see any fluid. There should be none. Ditto for all coolant hose connections and reservoir fittings. If that's OK, then I'd go ahead and do the timing belt kit, thermostat and housing (if it's plastic), water pump, and accessory belt, which is included in the Blauparts kit. That way you have all of the stuff that is likely to fail replaced and you can sleep better while on the road.... I just got done doing mine and with the right tools (rented from Blauparts) it's not a real scary job, just a lot of stuff to take off and put back on. Youtube is your friend. Mine was about $500 total for parts.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by meternerd
Here's what I would do....look as best you can under the intake manifold to see if you see any fluid. There should be none. Ditto for all coolant hose connections and reservoir fittings. If that's OK, then I'd go ahead and do the timing belt kit, thermostat and housing (if it's plastic), water pump, and accessory belt, which is included in the Blauparts kit. That way you have all of the stuff that is likely to fail replaced and you can sleep better while on the road.... I just got done doing mine and with the right tools (rented from Blauparts) it's not a real scary job, just a lot of stuff to take off and put back on. Youtube is your friend. Mine was about $500 total for parts.
ok I’m not much of a car guy but was low on money so decided to do the aux pump on my own about how long does it take and is it harder then the aux pump?
Old 11-01-2017, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Aux pump is normally just as hard as aux pump. Pros sneak it out the back to save intake manifold gasket r/r. I followed a diy that raised the intake manifold, but left fuel rails intact. Took about 3 hrs for a first time job incl intake gaskets.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everything you say you're replacing is great....but....the timing belt is pretty critical and worth the effort, because you can also do the thermostat and water pump. If it's not leaking now (I think it is by looking at you pics), it will. You also need to replace the plastic thermostat housing with an aluminum one. Also a likely leaker sooner or later. Kits available and special tools also available for rent with the kits. A timing belt failure is basically fatal....engine will grenade.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2003 Audi A6 2.7 thermostat housing leak

Is there a video on how to replace the thermostat housing.. I have the same problem but need step be step on how to get to it
Old 07-29-2020, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2003 Audi A6 2.7

Originally Posted by jamesm0913
I have that exact same picture on my computer at home when I was trying to diagnose the same coolant leak. Your leak is at the thermostat housing seal. I let mine go long enough that the waterpump gasket also started to leak and a coolant stalagtite formed on the oil filter also.

My leaks happened after 35-40k miles on the Blauparts kit. They supply OEM comparable parts except for the thermostat. They give you a Meyle one with a cheap rubber ring seal and it doesn't last long enough to get to the next timing belt interval.

I went with ECS's TB kit and they gave me the same Meyle thermo. I would recommend with whatever kit you get, to toss the Meyle one and get a Behr or OE. You may also want to upgrade to the metal thermostat housing, because the plastic ones may warp and leak prematurely.
is there a video how to replace the thermostat housing step by step
Old 07-30-2020, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Christina Boon
is there a video how to replace the thermostat housing step by step
https://tinyurl.com/y2qk7bfv

You can see the thermostat housing at 44:44

Fairly involved process for a novice.