A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2.7t timing belt help needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2.7t timing belt help needed

Hi guys, I'm doing the timing belt and found out that the timing is off.
Can you please advise what to do? should I re-install all as it is, or should I correct it assuming that the camshafts are ok, and the crank off?

2.7t timing off

Please check the entire video.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

The crankshaft is never off. It is the reference point for all of the other settings.

You will need the crankshaft locking pin and the camshaft locking tool.

The procedure is documented very well here:

https://www.audi-forums.com/b5-forum...-belt-diy.html
Old 12-03-2018, 12:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the reply George . With the timing correct on the cranck the cams wouldn't line up to use the timing tool bar. That's why I've moved it further to line up the cams.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If that is the case, then lock the cams in place, remove the belt, and use a 24 mm 12 point socket to rotate the crank the tiny bit to TDC , then lock the crank in place with the pin, loosen the bolts on the camshaft and loosen the cam sprockets so that the sprockets can spin freelu. Then install the belt and tensionrr, then the frenade and pull the pun. Tighten the cam bolts,and everything should line up. Check by hand rotating the engine to check for interference and that marks stay aligned. If not, do it until it does.

good luck.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by georgeb944
If that is the case, then lock the cams in place, remove the belt, and use a 24 mm 12 point socket to rotate the crank the tiny bit to TDC , then lock the crank in place with the pin, loosen the bolts on the camshaft and loosen the cam sprockets so that the sprockets can spin freelu. Then install the belt and tensionrr, then the frenade and pull the pun. Tighten the cam bolts,and everything should line up. Check by hand rotating the engine to check for interference and that marks stay aligned. If not, do it until it does.

good luck.
Thanks
Old 12-10-2018, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've moved the crank anticlockwise and now the timing marks are aligned.

I understand the need for the locking pin because there's some play in the pulley. Even with the bolts hand tighten I can move the pulley 1mm away from the timing mark in clock or anti clock direction.

After I removed the pulley I've noticed that like this the timing marks used by someone in the previous timing belt job seem to be either ok or off by half a tooth .

I was planning on changing the camseals also but I will leave this to another time. I'm very limited in the amount of time that I have to spend in the car and need to have it driving as soon as possible.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Based on your video, I would strongly suggest that you spend the time now and replace the cam seals and the valve cover gasket (you will need to do so to replace the half moon gasket that is leaking), as well as the cam chain adjuster gasket. You will never have a better opportunity to do it than now, and, if you don't do it now, you will certainly have to do it soon.

P.S. Nice job on the thread chasing.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by georgeb944
Based on your video, I would strongly suggest that you spend the time now and replace the cam seals and the valve cover gasket (you will need to do so to replace the half moon gasket that is leaking), as well as the cam chain adjuster gasket. You will never have a better opportunity to do it than now, and, if you don't do it now, you will certainly have to do it soon.

P.S. Nice job on the thread chasing.
Thanks for the reply George . I do agree with you and that would be my prefered approach. However 2 things are pressing me to finish this and cut non essencial work.

1. My daily driver was stolen and I need this one back on the street

2. I might sell my house (and garage) in the next weeks so (if I'm lucky) I will need to remove the car from the garage soon .

If all goes as planned I will have a bigger and better garage in a few months and I will be able to mess with the AUDI again once I buy a new daily.
And with electric/air tools I recon I can do it more efficiently.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by drpancho
Thanks for the reply George . I do agree with you and that would be my prefered approach. However 2 things are pressing me to finish this and cut non essencial work.

1. My daily driver was stolen and I need this one back on the street

2. I might sell my house (and garage) in the next weeks so (if I'm lucky) I will need to remove the car from the garage soon .

If all goes as planned I will have a bigger and better garage in a few months and I will be able to mess with the AUDI again once I buy a new daily.
And with electric/air tools I recon I can do it more efficiently.
Understood. Good luck, gb
Old 12-22-2018, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi, timing belt is on finnaly.
I had a really hard time compressing the new hydraulic tensioner . I had to use my jack because I was not having enough levarege or strength ☺ .
I expect to do the auxiliary belt in the next few days.

Quick Reply: 2.7t timing belt help needed