2.8 Alternator replacement from underside? - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion
Reload this Page >

2.8 Alternator replacement from underside?

Notices
A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2.8 Alternator replacement from underside?

Old 07-11-2018, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default 2.8 Alternator replacement from underside?

What are the chances I can pull the alternator from the underside, and bypass the service position completely?
Old 07-11-2018, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Oh God.

Oh God. I'm going to have to do it the proper way huh.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by blink View Post
What are the chances I can pull the alternator from the underside, and bypass the service position completely?
I would say slim to none.

That said, I have sneaked out alternators without going into the service position. First, disconnect the battery. Then, remove the serpentine belt. Then remove the radiator fan (a phillips head screw keeps the bracket in place. Remove the screw and the fan will release from the bracket. Lay it off to one side. Then remove the two bolts holding the alternator in place. One is IIRC 13 mm, and the other an allen bolt 6 mm. With the radiator fan removed, there is just enough room to sneak the allen bolt out. Don't ding the radiator. Loosen the nuts for the electrical connection and the old alternator should be out.

Install of the new one is reverse of the removal. No unusual tricks that I can recall.

As I recall, it took me about 90 minutes to do the job. I guess that I saved about a half hour over the service position.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks george. I think I'm going to try it. I have a few days until the new alt arrives, just enough time to dread it.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:07 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by georgeb944 View Post
I would say slim to none.

That said, I have sneaked out alternators without going into the service position. First, disconnect the battery. Then, remove the serpentine belt. Then remove the radiator fan (a phillips head screw keeps the bracket in place. Remove the screw and the fan will release from the bracket. Lay it off to one side. Then remove the two bolts holding the alternator in place. One is IIRC 13 mm, and the other an allen bolt 6 mm. With the radiator fan removed, there is just enough room to sneak the allen bolt out. Don't ding the radiator. Loosen the nuts for the electrical connection and the old alternator should be out.

Install of the new one is reverse of the removal. No unusual tricks that I can recall.

As I recall, it took me about 90 minutes to do the job. I guess that I saved about a half hour over the service position.
That may work on the 4.2, but on the 2.7 and 2.8 service position is needed. The only way is to slide it out the front.
Consider doing a timing belt service at the same time if it's due soon.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Is there any way to know which alternator it is before pulling it? There seems to be some conflicting info out there on if the Valeo can be switched with he Bosch.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:28 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by blink View Post
Is there any way to know which alternator it is before pulling it? There seems to be some conflicting info out there on if the Valeo can be switched with he Bosch.
If the new alternator has the pulley with it, it doesn't matter.
Most likely you have a Valeo.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Woo Hoo!

That's great news! Thanks for your help!
Old 07-12-2018, 05:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

FWIW, I have removed the alternator on my father's 2.8 Avant without going into service position... same with the starter, actually (did have to lift the engine to sneak that one past the mount). That said, it was an absolute bear to dislodge from it's position, so I'd recommend service position especially if you're unsure when the coolant was changed last. However, it can actually be done with small enough hands.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default An update.

I replaced the alternator today on my A6 C5 with 240,000 miles. I decided to check out how tough it would be to take it out from underneath, assuming I would be resorting to the service position. That was not the case at all. It came out relatively easily if you take your time, and have some degree of mechanical knowledge. I put the car on ramps and pulled the belly pan. From the top side I removed the top engine cover and the electrical fan from right side. I then pulled the 3 pieces of intake routing going to the air box. From the top you can access the nylock nut that hold the retainer that fastens the trans fluid lines to the core support, and at this time remove the 2 mounting bolts for the alternator. (trust me, its not going to fall out.) From underneath you can remove the bolt that mounts the tranny lines to the oil pan, and disconnect the plug on the bottom of the oil pan. Next, unbolt the secondary coolant pump from the bracket, and remove the bracket. I just loosened one side and swung it out of the way, but removing it would have been easier. I was able to work it back and forth to get it to drop, but I've heard of some that are a real bugger to get loose. This is where you take your sweet *** time to get it all the way out. Rotate it to remove the plug and the main power cable. Mine came out with the top of the alternator out first, with the bottom mount up against the secondary coolant bracket, binding it. This is where I pulled the AC lines out of the way with a good bit of convincing, and the alternator was out. I also removed the small wiring bracket that mounts to the motor mount. I hope this helps anyone else attempting this endeavor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2.8 Alternator replacement from underside?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: