A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2.8 cam chain and tensioner replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See the video bellow(in link). There is a part 1 to this video for more details. I also removed the gas rubber hoses. Safety glasses and a rag recommended plus a small catch can as there is pressure on those lines and fuel ...

You just have to remove the cam caps all the way(not just loosening) the same way the guy does it. Grab the cam shaft by the rough area with pliers and pull hard. All this after you have TDC and marks on chain by both cams. I posted another video on page 4 on how to remove the exhaust cam and tensioner on a 1.8T; watch it to have a general idea of how it's done.

Last edited by indoor; 11-03-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by indoor
You have to set engine ant TDC(top dead center). You don't need to play at all with the timing belt. And yes, mark the chain on both cam shaft where the little grove is(that comes up when the engine is TDC). You need a 24mm 12 point socket and a long ratchet to set TDC. I did it from under the car lifting the car and putting it on jack stands. It's tight but it can be done without removing any front end parts.

There is a certain order to remove the cam caps. I'll look it up and report back. Do you have the cam chain tensioner compression tool?
Do I absolutely need to do the TDC from under the car? can it be done from the top?
I have the socket and the ratchet but no jack stands. I did some research in regards to the removal of the cam caps, I know what the procedure is, thank you for asking. I have not purchased the cam tensioner tool yet, I just started taking the cover off yesterday, I will most probably buy the kit (tool and gaskets) from blauparts.

I would appreciate more details about TDC procedure or pics if you have any.

Thank you.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

You can try from the top. I couldn't do it, but I didn't spend a lot of time trying as I already had the car on jack stands. I heard guys did it from the top, maybe by removing some parts that get in the way. I remember I had a hard time and just went under the car. Even that is tight, and had to use a mirror to see if I had the socket on all the way on the crank shaft.
Otherwise you can grab a cheap set of jack stands from Harbor Freight Tools or local auto stores. They'll come in handy for future jobs(brakes, and what not).

Once you have the 24mm socket on the crank shaft connect a ratchet(long, or use extension) and turn the engine clockwise little by little then check to see the little grooves in the cams by the sprockets line up with the two little arrows. Done. Sorry, I don't have any pictures. I did look at pictures of timing belt DIY to give me an idea where the crank shaft is, but with the front end on is tight.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by indoor
You can try from the top. I couldn't do it, but I didn't spend a lot of time trying as I already had the car on jack stands. I heard guys did it from the top, maybe by removing some parts that get in the way. I remember I had a hard time and just went under the car. Even that is tight, and had to use a mirror to see if I had the socket on all the way on the crank shaft.
Otherwise you can grab a cheap set of jack stands from Harbor Freight Tools or local auto stores. They'll come in handy for future jobs(brakes, and what not).

Once you have the 24mm socket on the crank shaft connect a ratchet(long, or use extension) and turn the engine clockwise little by little then check to see the little grooves in the cams by the sprockets line up with the two little arrows. Done. Sorry, I don't have any pictures. I did look at pictures of timing belt DIY to give me an idea where the crank shaft is, but with the front end on is tight.
great thanks for the info I will report back next Saturday with pics just to be on the safe side.
I have to say this is a great forum, you have been very helpful ...
Old 11-08-2014, 02:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi there,
so i got my 24mm socket, before turning the camshaft in order to put it in tdc, noticed the right camshaft in bank 1 the groove is on arrow but on the left side it is not! is this normal? can i use the tool and remove the cam tensioner? i'll include some pics for a better understanding of what is what...
Old 11-08-2014, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by moe1355
Hi there,
so i got my 24mm socket, before turning the camshaft in order to put it in tdc, noticed the right camshaft in bank 1 the groove is on arrow but on the left side it is not! is this normal? can i use the tool and remove the cam tensioner? i'll include some pics for a better understanding of what is what...
Use the same terminology you've been using all along, refer to camshafts as either the intake or exhaust camshaft on the bank you're working on…from the pics it's the driver's side.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

right, so does both camshafts intake and exhaust have to have the grooves lined up on the arrows before opening the camshaft covers in order to replace the tensioner?
Old 11-08-2014, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by moe1355
right, so does both camshafts intake and exhaust have to have the grooves lined up on the arrows before opening the camshaft covers in order to replace the tensioner?
Dunno on that particular engine but I thought you already had the cam loose and wanted to put it back in?
Old 11-08-2014, 03:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

no i just want to make sure before taking it off, im affraid i would mess up the timing ...
is the engin at tdc at this position?
Old 11-10-2014, 08:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

can someone please give me the right instructions?!

I have a bit of trouble setting the engine at TDC, I have some slack on the tensioner as is though, in other words when I press down the shoe pad it has room to go down I think with the tool I would be able to have some slack on the chain.

I basically like to know if I can go ahead and remove the cam adjuster by using the tool to compress the tensioner and marking the chain?

I have noticed the grove has lined up to the arrow on only one of the camshafts in bank one, if I mark the chain and take the cam covers off would I be able to replace it back on after replacing the shoe pads without any problems?

Quick Reply: 2.8 cam chain and tensioner replacement