AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/)
-   -   2000 A6 2.8: won't start/won't crank (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/2000-a6-2-8-wont-start-wont-crank-2811941/)

signut 08-27-2011 04:36 PM

2000 A6 2.8: won't start/won't crank

Think this may be a defective ignition switch, possibly bad starter or ?? car would not turn over , had all the lights,etc. Finally got it to start by shaking the steering column while turning key, finally started. This was 2 weeks ago. Tonite, same issue, but no amount of jerking on column would let it start.
How hard is a starter on one of these to replace /
Ignition switch must be a tough replacement based on dealer cost....
Any info appreciated !!

tester123 08-27-2011 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by signut (Post 24189292)
Finally got it to start by shaking the steering column while turning key, finally started. This was 2 weeks ago. Tonite, same issue, but no amount of jerking on column would let it start.

If this is what you had to start the car, then you can probably rule out starter issues. Most likely it could be loose wiring to the ignition switch. Given your symptoms / previous remedy, that's where you should start your troubleshooting.

Also, if you have immobilizer, it could be malfunctioning as well - which would prevent you from starting the car. Although very unlikely, it is possible (if you have immobilizer) that the key transponder chip could be going bad. Try it with another key to see if it is any better.

And, one more thing. When you turn the key, do the lights in the instrument cluster work normally? Go through each sequence carefully and see where things are failing.

signut 08-27-2011 07:28 PM

Immobilizer ? had not thought of trying a different key/ maybe with a new battery ? had noticed that lock function was getting less and less range, but, that could cause a no-start ?
Lights come on, just like normal.

4Driver4 08-28-2011 03:47 AM

Your problem has nothing to do with any immobilized or battery in the key. The starter is not functioning or not getting power.

Start with the basics. Is there power to starter solenoid when you turn the key to the start position? If no, replace the starter. If not, start checking the ignition switch, shift lock and other stuff.

I think you shaking the column was coincidence and unrelated, but if you feel strongly that it was related, you could always take a gamble and buy an ignition switch. Don't bother installing it; just unplug the harness from the current switch in the column and plug in the new switch. Turn it with a screwdriver and see if it starts.

signut 08-28-2011 05:24 AM

Question on starter: is this fairly easy to access and or replace ? I have been doing all other service on car but have not dealt with a starter issue. We had another A6 2.7 that lost the ignition , that is why I thought the same thing may have occurred on this one. Where would I find a download for a service manual on this series ?
Thanks for the info.

Airbag 08-28-2011 07:40 AM

The fine braided wire completely coroded through on the starter of My Aud 90 V6 2,8. I seem to remember it was a thorough PITA to change and had to drop the alternator too to get access. I would bank on a few hours of grunty labour.

4Driver4 08-28-2011 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by signut (Post 24189419)
Question on starter: is this fairly easy to access and or replace ? I have been doing all other service on car but have not dealt with a starter issue. We had another A6 2.7 that lost the ignition , that is why I thought the same thing may have occurred on this one. Where would I find a download for a service manual on this series ?
Thanks for the info.

Starter job is not difficult, but is extremely labor intensive. Nose goes into service position, alternator comes out, then starter.

This is definitely something you want to take the time to diagnose properly.

Look for a repair manual at Bentley Publishers.

SloopJohnB@mac.com 08-28-2011 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by 4Driver4 (Post 24189405)
Your problem has nothing to do with any immobilized or battery in the key. The starter is not functioning or not getting power.

Start with the basics. Is there power to starter solenoid when you turn the key to the start position? If no, replace the starter. If not, start checking the ignition switch, shift lock and other stuff.

I think you shaking the column was coincidence and unrelated, but if you feel strongly that it was related, you could always take a gamble and buy an ignition switch. Don't bother installing it; just unplug the harness from the current switch in the column and plug in the new switch. Turn it with a screwdriver and see if it starts.

Correction, if power to the starter but starter doesn't work, then replace the starter.
If there is NOT power tø the starter, then check the ignition switch, shift lock and other stuff.

signut 09-01-2011 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com (Post 24189552)
Correction, if power to the starter but starter doesn't work, then replace the starter.
If there is NOT power tø the starter, then check the ignition switch, shift lock and other stuff.

Car sat overnight, got back in and started on first try. Have researched the starter replacement issue to some degree; i take it that solenoid would be mounted to starter, correct ? or is it a remote solenoid that could be accessed easily ?
Ignition switch replacement, could use some info on this. I'm thinking it involves removing wheel, airbag, to get to switch, or??
Trying to find answer to switch replacement in FAQ. I get no matches . Is there a thread on this, I can't seem to find it :(

tdelaive 10-09-2011 10:39 AM

update

any update on what it was?