A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Engine revomal questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Engine revomal questions

Looks like I need to pull the engine and maybe the transmission due to the P0741 code. I also need to rebuild the turbos due to oil consumption problem, O2 sensor B2S2, and a new converter.

A few questions before I remove the engine;

What should good compression on a 2000 A6 Quattro 2.7t read? I'm considering rebuilding the engine since it's going to be out of the car.

Diverter Valves. I was kind of thinking of looking for some more power...not a lot, just a mild upgrade. I read that new diverter valves from stock to the N710's is a good upgrade, but only for reliability issues & if my current diverter valves are working correctly, which I believe they are, no noticeable gains will be noticed. True???

Also, what is the best way for me to remove contaminated trans fluid from the system before I swap the new converter and oil in the transmission?

Thank you!
Old 09-14-2016, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Don't swap oil. All new transmission oil and filter.

Originally Posted by Osmosis
Looks like I need to pull the engine and maybe the transmission due to the P0741 code. I also need to rebuild the turbos due to oil consumption problem, O2 sensor B2S2, and a new converter.

A few questions before I remove the engine;

What should good compression on a 2000 A6 Quattro 2.7t read? I'm considering rebuilding the engine since it's going to be out of the car.

Diverter Valves. I was kind of thinking of looking for some more power...not a lot, just a mild upgrade. I read that new diverter valves from stock to the N710's is a good upgrade, but only for reliability issues & if my current diverter valves are working correctly, which I believe they are, no noticeable gains will be noticed. True???

Also, what is the best way for me to remove contaminated trans fluid from the system before I swap the new converter and oil in the transmission?

Thank you!
Best way to remove oil is just drain it from the trans before you pull the engine/trans. When you split the trans/engine, dump the old converter oil (maybe your old converted is a core for exchange) and partially fill it before you put it in the transmission. The transmission/converter is mated to the engine, NOT put the converter on engine flex plate and try to mate the transmission.

You won't get any hp increase by changing/upgrading diverter valve(s) unless your old valves are defective and inhibiting ecm-controlled boost.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sloop,

Thanks for the info. Nope, if I do just pull the engine, I do know that the converter takes a special seating 2 or 3 clicks so all splines line up. I've done plenty of transmissions and converters, just never on an Audi. IF I do just pull the engine, will I need to disconnect the shifter linkage when I lower the sub frame?

Also, where are the transmission lines located that feed the tranny? I was going to use a drill pump and flush the line with fresh fluid. Once it's all back together, I plan on filling the transmission and running it for an hour, drain and then fill again to get any old stuff out.

I am also planing on changing my cam timing pads as I have a clicking noise coming from the drivers side valve cover. Not sure what compression these engines should have, but I plan on doing a compression test which will lead me to either rebuild the engine or not....we will see on that one.

BTW, what is standard compression on the 2.7t?

Thanks again for the help!

Last edited by Osmosis; 09-14-2016 at 11:51 AM.