AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/)
-   -   2002 S6 Avant OEM Headlights (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/2002-s6-avant-oem-headlights-2879021/)

A4 Phil 02-15-2015 08:42 AM

2002 S6 Avant OEM Headlights

Between getting a daily headlights out of balance notification and simply having old 13 year old hazy glass, I have decided to replace the entire headlight assembly for my '02 S6 Avant. I considered for a long time going modern LED looking lights but have decided against it as the car looks great as a classic '02. So I am looking for entire OEM assemblies for my ride. Do you all have any suggestions on where to find the entire assemblies outside of visiting my dealers parts department?

SloopJohnB@mac.com 02-15-2015 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by A4 Phil (Post 24656250)
Between getting a daily headlights out of balance notification and simply having old 13 year old hazy glass, I have decided to replace the entire headlight assembly for my '02 S6 Avant. I considered for a long time going modern LED looking lights but have decided against it as the car looks great as a classic '02. So I am looking for entire OEM assemblies for my ride. Do you all have any suggestions on where to find the entire assemblies outside of visiting my dealers parts department?

Check a local body shop for how they get theirs. Or get them online from HongKong.

As for your out of balance OEM lights, look under the car and check the height adjustment link on the front left lower control arm…if it's broken or the rheostat box is bad you'll get a bad code. There is also another box IIRC on the rear left front control arm.

You could also buy a pair of used S6 headlights on ebay and refinish them off the car.

A4 Phil 02-15-2015 04:09 PM

ECS

Wow, I had forgotten how expensive these things are. At this point I am thinking about going original Euro route.

Audi C5 S6 Quattro 4.2 Lighting Headlights - 4B3941003FKT - Euro Xenon Headlight Set - ES#2562625

A4 Phil 07-19-2015 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com (Post 24656317)
Check a local body shop for how they get theirs. Or get them online from HongKong.

As for your out of balance OEM lights, look under the car and check the height adjustment link on the front left lower control arm…if it's broken or the rheostat box is bad you'll get a bad code. There is also another box IIRC on the rear left front control arm.

You could also buy a pair of used S6 headlights on ebay and refinish them off the car.

Update:

I went to my fantastic maintenance guy and asked how much to install new lights. He said wait and suggested using their lifetime refurbishing service. $100 and they would tear them apart and refinish them to new. I decided to give it a try and they really do look new. It is actually amazing.

Then for the balance issue. It turns out he diagnosed it as a software initialization problem. He reset the computer which controls the lights and uploaded new software from Audi and bingo, the lights initialize fine now. They operate beautifully and the warning indicator is gone. All in all, $300 spent on diagnosis, lights refreshing and reprogramming.

Not sure if you are allowed to put service location names in here, but if you live in SoCal and need a great tech. Drop me a line.

N_Jay 07-19-2015 08:00 AM

Darn! If you got new ones I was going to offer to take the old ones. ;)

Gerry 07-21-2015 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by A4 Phil (Post 24706630)
Update:

Not sure if you are allowed to put service location names in here, but if you live in SoCal and need a great tech. Drop me a line.

Phil, I sent you a PM. I'm in San Diego and would love to know who the tech is that you referred to.