A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

90 octane real gas vs. 93 octane Frankenfuel

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres
Ooh, no sir! Octane is not Octane!

Your fuel (USA) is measured as an average of two Octane Measures
RON is measured in an engine under no load and basically gives a figure of how well the fuel burns.
MON is measured in an engine under load and basically gives a figure of how much work the fuel can do - or how well it performs.

10% ethanol blends give a poor MON figure - you do not get as much work out of them.
They do raise RON though, which can help reduce knocking, but mainly they're used to reduce emissions.
I agree with this .. this is why they can play games .. octane on US gas stations is calculated as (RON +MON )/ 2

They can increase RON and decrease MON but the ratings on the pump will stay the same ..

the only real diffeerence you will feel is if your engine have the capacity to burn this extra octane on higher octane fuels .. if not it just comes out as emmisions anyway ..

an aside -->My 911 is rated at requiring 87 gas as it is a relatively low compresion ratio engine .. I run Shell 93 , there is no real power gain but the shell 93 in Canada containes no ethanol. Ethanol atracts water and water in a CIS fuel system is very bad and parts are getting hard to get ...
Old 08-14-2013, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Eh. I don't discount the us corn ethanol lobby, but I note that Brazil uses E100 and the automotive industry adapted quite well. In point of fact, E100 works quite well for power..13+:1 compression ratios possible, high supercharger pressure ratios, etc. range and economy maybe nt so much...
Just as a sidepoint, Mazda is using 13:1 compression ration of their latest DI engines on regular 87 gasoline. In Asia and Europe, it's at 14:1.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
Just as a sidepoint, Mazda is using 13:1 compression ration of their latest DI engines on regular 87 gasoline. In Asia and Europe, it's at 14:1.
wow thats amazing, i wonder if there is some technology in the DFI engines that prevents pre-ignition, / even my old 944 ( albeit 80s technology ) with a 10.9 comp ratio required at least 91 or the anti knock sensors would start retarding the timing.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag
Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
wow thats amazing, i wonder if there is some technology in the DFI engines that prevents pre-ignition, / even my old 944 ( albeit 80s technology ) with a 10.9 comp ratio required at least 91 or the anti knock sensors would start retarding the timing.
The technology is the Direct Injection!
You time your injection and ignition very precisely - no pre-detonation then.

I'm actually surprised other manufacturers haven't started increasing compression.
But then I suppose all the Euro's, Subaru and Nissan are going turbo, Toyota is busy convincing the world that hybrid is the future, and Honda insists on seeing how fast they can spin their engines! And the old 'big 3' are always a bit slow off the mark...

The irony with Mazda's 'Sky Active' engines is that their Diesels run a relatively low compression using 14:1 as well.
(The cynic in me says its a cost cutting exercise to allow usage of engines-in-common with their petrol 'cousins')

Last edited by twentysevenlitres; 08-15-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres
The technology is the Direct Injection!
You time your injection and ignition very precisely - no pre-detonation then.

I'm actually surprised other manufacturers haven't started increasing compression.
But then I suppose all the Euro's, Subaru and Nissan are going turbo, Toyota is busy convincing the world that hybrid is the future, and Honda insists on seeing how fast they can spin their engines! And the old 'big 3' are always a bit slow off the mark...

The irony with Mazda's 'Sky Active' engines is that their Diesels run a relatively low compression using 14:1 as well.
(The cynic in me says its a cost cutting exercise to allow usage of engines-in-common with their petrol 'cousins')

Scew it all .. Im buying a tesla
Old 10-08-2013, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 675 Likes on 489 Posts
Default E-85

Last week I visited my repair shop and they were working for many days on a truck which everybody suspected had had its tank sugared. After completing the repairs and thousands of dollars later the real culprit was determined to have been E-85. The truck owner had left the truck sitting for several months and the E-85 had reacted in his tank and separated into its sugar components.

Anyway, shop said that vehicles with E-85 should not sit for more than a week business trip. Anymore than that, think about filling or at least topping the tank with real gasoline.