A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

98 audi a6 2.8L coolant Leaking in back of engine

Old 01-28-2017, 11:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 98 audi a6 2.8L coolant Leaking in back of engine

The red line on the left side...!
Got an 98 audi A6 2.8L AHA that has a coolant leak from the back of the motor. Some are told that it is the heater core hoses and in some cases it may be. I know mine had a major leak so i changed them out hoping the coolant leak would go away!

Since doing so the leak persists but not as bad as before. I am in the middle of doing a head gasket change...

While taken the manifold off i noticed the leak. So i cleaned it in order to inspect where the leak was coming from. It is leaking on the passenger side of the engine where the metal coolant hose connects to the block.

My question is how do i get this hose off without causing damage? And is it a o ring that needs to be replaced?

Please no answers to this question or comments that are not needed to help me take this hose off. Only need specific directions on how to get the job done and what peice i would need or part number to fix the leak. Thank you!
The following users liked this post:
KHedges (10-05-2020)
Old 02-02-2017, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope this helps...
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
KHedges (10-05-2020)
Old 02-04-2017, 05:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tester123
I hope this helps...
​​​​​Sweet!! It did thanks a lot it's the number seven! In my head gasket kit (another forum of mine) I got a bunch of o rings in it for replacing. It would be nice if there is one for the number nine hose. (Fingers crossed)!!! Do you happen to know how to take off that hose without ruining it? It's aluminum:/
Old 02-04-2017, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by L Werick
​​​​​Sweet!! It did thanks a lot it's the number seven! In my head gasket kit (another forum of mine) I got a bunch of o rings in it for replacing. It would be nice if there is one for the number nine hose. (Fingers crossed)!!! Do you happen to know how to take off that hose without ruining it? It's aluminum:/
To be honest, not sure without being able to look at it myself. It looks like #10 in pic, bolts are holding the pipe down at both ends. After removing those and any others, I'd try PBlaster soaking and gently wiggle it out. If it is really being stubborn, I would try using a torch to warm the area of the block and compressed air can upside down with the "straw" on the pipe to cool it while wiggling it out. You want the "liquid" air coming out of the can to evaporate on the pipe to freeze it instantly. In other words, expand block, contract pipe...

I would also try making a jig of some sorts with a pully puller or some other tool and secure the pipe properly and gently pull it out...

finally, You might just have to improvise here...

Last edited by tester123; 02-05-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tester123
To be honest, not sure without being able to look at it myself. It looks like #10 in pic, bolts are holding the pipe down at both ends. After removing those and any others, I'd try PBlaster soaking and gently wiggle it out. If it is really being stubborn, I would try using a torch to warm the area of the block and compressed air can upside down with the "straw" on the pipe to cool it while wiggling it out. You want the "liquid" air coming out of the can to evaporate on the pipe to freeze it instantly. In other words, expand block, contract pipe...

I would also try making a jig of some sorts with a pully puller or some other tool and secure the pipe properly and gently pull it out...

finally, You might just have to improvise here...
Pipe comes out with alil tug after u unscrew it from the cylinder heads. I had the manifold already off so wasn't to bad but o rings were def fried on all four parts of pipe that allow coolant flow.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

See, you know more now than ever before