A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 1999y, 1.9tdi avant FWD air springs replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 1999y, 1.9tdi avant FWD air springs replacement.

Hello, Im a new guy in this forum, and I have a big problem, I have audi a6 C5 1.9tdi 1999 year avant, with front wheels drive, and it has air springs at rear suspension, and the problem is that one of them leaks air, and shock absobers are bad , but it has air intakes too.. I would like to put regular struts and springs, but I dont find any information that audi had made any FWD cars with air springs... Mabye you guys know anything about it? Does it fit to put regular parts like normal C5? :// Sorry if my english is bad, I hope you understand me
Old 09-27-2015, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Markuzas
Hello, Im a new guy in this forum, and I have a big problem, I have audi a6 C5 1.9tdi 1999 year avant, with front wheels drive, and it has air springs at rear suspension, and the problem is that one of them leaks air, and shock absobers are bad , but it has air intakes too.. I would like to put regular struts and springs, but I dont find any information that audi had made any FWD cars with air springs... Mabye you guys know anything about it? Does it fit to put regular parts like normal C5? :// Sorry if my english is bad, I hope you understand me
I don't know for sure, but I would think that the TDI version would be the same as the the a6 gas avant, if you have air suspension I'm thinking it might be more like the Allroad maybe?

I'm assuming you are not in the US, I am not aware that vw/Audi brought in any TDI's in 1999 other than in vws, I would love to see a 1.9 with bigger injectors, bigger turbo, and a good tune in a c5 wagon! I had a 2000 VW Golf that I had tuned up a little and I loved the engine!

Best of luck!
Old 09-27-2015, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes, Im from europe, where small diesel engines is more often becouse of fuel prices Anyway, in allroad there is quattro system and there air springs are mounted on the strut, in my audi there is no quattro, and air springs are fitted separately from strut, I mean strut is where it should be, and the air spring is behind it, on the rear axle.

Here's a photo from the bottom of my car Im thinking whar if I take off the air spring, and try to put in regular coil spring, as I can find any info about FWD air springs, it could be a good experiment I think...
Old 09-27-2015, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, Im from europe, where small diesel engines is more often becouse of fuel prices Anyway, in allroad there is quattro system and there air springs are mounted on the strut, in my audi there is no quattro, and air springs are fitted separately from strut, I mean strut is where it should be, and the air spring is behind it, on the rear axle.

Here's a photo from the bottom of my car Im thinking whar if I take off the air spring, and try to put in regular coil spring, as I can find any info about FWD air springs, it could be a good experiment I think...
Hmmm if you could find coils that fit into the same place as the air Springs I think you would be good. On my '03 s6 the springs sit around the shocks... But I would think it wouldn't be too hard to convert to a spring/shock setup off another a6.

The 1.9 tdi alh engine is a great engine, if I remember correctly the European version had quite a bit more power than the US version too. I loved that engine in my old golf (I think that is a Polo in Europe)
Old 09-27-2015, 11:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My engine has 81kW, 110hp, but it is not much for this car... I would like to have that engine, with 96kW
Old 09-28-2015, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

My engine has 81kW, 110hp, but it is not much for this car... I would like to have that engine, with 96kW
I'm looking at the picture again, how much room is there between the, I think its the muffler and the shock that is bolted to the wheel hub? Do you think there is room for a spring over the shock?

I would start by looking under a gas a6 wagon and look at the suspension and see how close it is, and see how it is configured.

I know here in the US there were a lot of people that tuned their TDI's up to 150hp plus so that would be about 110kw if my math is correct and more torque than you would know what to do with hehe (to do this it was a 11mm injector pump, bigger injector nozzles, a bigger turbo, maybe exhaust, maybe bigger inter-cooler, and a chip tune). If you ate handy the nizzles take a couple hours, turbo isn't too hard (the bigger turbo might need some new plumbing so I'm not sure on time), the bigger injection pump might not be needed depending on if you have a stick or auto transmission (auto came standard in the US at least with the 11mm pump stick with the 10mm) but when you are doing a timing belt this would be a fairly quick swap. inter-cooler not sure I never did this. and a chip tune is a couple hours for a tech to do ... and then you would have a beast of a TDI in a very nice C5 wagon!!! I would LOVE to see that on the road!