A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 2.5 TDI Fan Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 2.5 TDI Fan Control Module

Hello all. Would appreciate some advice.

I have a '00 A6 2.5 TDI, think that's the AKE engine.

It has 2 cooling fans, viscous and electric. The electric isn't working and causing air con inefficiency. I have proved the fan runs by jury rigging it to the battery. So it's the control side.

The connector for this fan is at the double plug connection beside the Power steering reservoir, in front of the ABS module.

Im searching for the fan control module. Researched it on many different sites. It's definitely not on the top of the fan underneath the frame. So I was wondering if it'll be in the ECU box, buried somewhere in the engine bay, or just relays on the 8 fold relay panel under the steering wheel?

Can someone with the manuals for that car confirm where it is? Or the part number?

Many thanks.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Don't know the part numbers, but your problem is probably in one of these two pieces. The control module may have the part number on it somewhere.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
coolant fan control module.pdf (41.9 KB, 291 views)
Old 06-21-2017, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I replaced the fan control module on my 01 many years ago and the pdf shows where it is. Hard to get at the bolts or nuts(can't remember). I recall the top one was brutal. Easier with bumper off. When the fan control module fails, it usually defaults to an ultra-high speed setting for electric fan(s) that sounds like a jet turbine.

Mine also had a temp sensor in the lower radiator hose connection at the radiator. I would check that first, since it triggers the fan control module to various speed settings. Check temp sensor resistance with ohmmeter and if no conductivity, the sensor is shot. With the connector unplugged jump the contacts(with A/C on) to see if anything happens. If that triggers the fan, then check the speed. If it screams you need both the temp sensor and the control module. If reasonable rpm, your control module may be OK and just replace the sensor.

Mine has 2 electric fans that are both controlled by module, so it appears the diesel has only one. I also do not have the fan control resistors shown in the second pdf
Old 06-30-2017, 11:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnkk
I replaced the fan control module on my 01 many years ago and the pdf shows where it is. Hard to get at the bolts or nuts(can't remember). I recall the top one was brutal. Easier with bumper off. When the fan control module fails, it usually defaults to an ultra-high speed setting for electric fan(s) that sounds like a jet turbine.

Mine also had a temp sensor in the lower radiator hose connection at the radiator. I would check that first, since it triggers the fan control module to various speed settings. Check temp sensor resistance with ohmmeter and if no conductivity, the sensor is shot. With the connector unplugged jump the contacts(with A/C on) to see if anything happens. If that triggers the fan, then check the speed. If it screams you need both the temp sensor and the control module. If reasonable rpm, your control module may be OK and just replace the sensor.

Mine has 2 electric fans that are both controlled by module, so it appears the diesel has only one. I also do not have the fan control resistors shown in the second pdf

Thanks for all the info chaps. The control module looks like a pig to get to, not looking forward to that! I doubt the temp switch at the radiator would be the culprit as the fan doesn't run at all under any circumstances. I would have thought the logic would have been that both the coolant temp and AC operating mode would have had an input to control the fan. Therefore even if one of those inputs had failed, the fan would still run under certain circumstances? That's what makes me suspect it's the control module. However since the coolant switch is probably cheap and definitely easier to get to I might change that first and see what happens. Otherwise it'll be getting it on jacks to get to the FCM and hope I can get one from an online breakers yard.
Worst case scenario will be to rig up a switch via a relay so I have manual control in the cabin.

Thanks again!