A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 2.7T AUX Water pump leak and fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Me
"knowledge is good"

Who knows the attribution?

G
Hmm, that quote reminds me of my days at Faber College...
Old 11-18-2010, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Gee that's my alma mater, too. Best 6 years of my life. I drove a 56 Lincoln Premier 4dr, back then.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2.7LTurbo Is Out of Line

I know this is a very old post, but I had to chime in with my 2 cents. The FULL-of-HIMSELF member who feels that is the Audiworlrd "Forum Use Police" and jumped all over Dave for posting USEFULL information. I have something to tell u and I don't care r e if telling y o u this gets me banned. 2.7Lturbo, you are a self-important documents. Maybe u should troll another forum where a-holes like user wanted. People like u ruin things for everyone. So if you are still a member, then I hope everyone craps all over your posts. "SUPERMEMBER" my add!!!
Old 12-30-2013, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Allroads_Lead_Somewhere
I know this is a very old post, but I had to chime in with my 2 cents. The FULL-of-HIMSELF member who feels that is the Audiworlrd "Forum Use Police" and jumped all over Dave for posting USEFULL information. I have something to tell u and I don't care r e if telling y o u this gets me banned. 2.7Lturbo, you are a self-important documents. Maybe u should troll another forum where a-holes like user wanted. People like u ruin things for everyone. So if you are still a member, then I hope everyone craps all over your posts. "SUPERMEMBER" my add!!!
That thread is a tad old. But to address your point, he gone. 2.7Lturbo left a few months ago after acquiring an electric vehicle.

I won't disagree that many of his posts read as trolling...
Old 02-28-2018, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2.7T Aux Pump Replacement

Dave,
Thanks for all the great info! Do you still have the pictures from this work? The link is broken at the bottom.

Thanks,
Kyo

Originally Posted by Dave4roma
I had a mystery coolant leak recently. The symptom was that coolant would start leaking AFTER I parked the car. i would come out after work to a small puddle on the ground.

I thought it was a cracked hose or main water pump and it looked like it was coming down the front of my engine between the V of the V-6.

The AUX water pump feeds coolant to the turbos after you turn off the car. it is an idiot assist for those who don't let their car idle a while after flogging it. The AUX pump takes the heat out of your turbos so the oil doesn't bake (coke) in there.

Since I had a leak in the line after the pump, the flow of coolant started when the pump engaged and didn't stop until the temp was low enough or I ran out of coolant. I was constantly re-filling the overflow tank to keep from running hot.

These pictures show the repair.

First I took off the y-pipe air intake. If you want to do it quickly, you can just loosen the bolts holding the lower part of the pipe. They are located on the front just below the valve covers. If you take these off, then the three bolts holding down the y-pipe, then loosen the hose clamp that connects to MAF sensor and two hose clamps by the bypass valves... wha-lah. The whole bastard will just lift right out.

Your next step should be to gently stuff rags in the turbo pipe openings or you might drop a screw right in there. It is positioned perfectly to guide a dropped screw right to the intake port of your turbo.

I know because I did it. Lucky I had a magnet on a flexible stick. Very lucky because your regular magnet on a stick won't reach that far back. Neither will my ham fists on stocky arms.

Then remove fuel rails. Be careful to ease off fuel lines to avoid spraying gas everywhere. You also might want some spare injector o-rings in case you screw yours up.

Next unbolt the air intake plenum. The AUX water pump is under there.

You might also want to put rags gently in the now exposed cylinder air intakes to keep junk from falling in your valve gear.

My problem was with the drain plug. Don't ask me how but the o-ring was leaking. I could see a bead of coolant coming from it. The trail of coolant was 'pissing down a rope' and actually dripping from the hose making it look like a busted hose.

When I tried to replace the drain plug, the soft metal stripped around the allen head whole. It rounded way too easy. I made the repair by buying a similar sized bolt from ace hardware. I used my dremel to slice the length of the bolt to exactly match the drain plug length. Then I put on a new o-ring and carefully installed the bolt. It worked great.

After cleaning up the coolant, I put it all back together. Took out the rags and carefully put back the fuel rail.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5594479...7625286452429/

Had I known the hose was fine and the pump was fine, I actually could have accessed the drain plug from above without taking the plenum off. But these pics might help if your leak is actually with the hoses or pump.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm replacing my engine in my 2001 audi a6 2 .7t, I will be replacing a lot of parts...Timing belt, Various gaskets etc.., When i replace the aux water pump i will do a quick write up and will create a new post with pictures very soon
Old 09-15-2018, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Just replace it with the 034 silicone bypass hose. Unless you swap the temp sensor for the pump with a lower temp version, it is unlikely to ever run. I just put in the bypass hose on a 280k mile 01. I had replaced the original pump with a new pump several years ago and decided once was enough, when the second one sprung a leak. Wait till you see how the geniuses placed the rear hose clamp under the turbo oil feed pipe to make it nearly impossible to get off.