A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 4.2 engine failures are rare..but it happened to me !

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 05:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 4.2 engine failures are rare..but it happened to me !

I have a 2000 A6 4.2 that started to go through coolant at 70,000 miles. A block test was performed that indicated a leak and the heads were removed for examination. Damage was noted on one of the heads and also some discoloration of one of the cylinders.

Then the fun with Audi began. Of course the car was out of warranty, but no previous Audi that I have owned ever lost an engine this early. After much patience and haggling and a personal plea to the district service rep, Audi agreed to repair the car (thinking it was only going to be head gasket). the tech then looked at the cylinder and agreed with me that it was damaged and the block needed to be replaced. Again, much haggling and articulate reasoning with Audi and they agreed to replace the block and pistons (new lower end).

At this time, I was shopping for an SUV for my wife and decided to effect a deal for a Cayenne S (this is a porsche audi dealer). I got a good deal on a Cayenne S and also insisted on a note attached to the deal that the dealer "would do whatever it takes to get my Audi A6 4.2 back on the road". They agreed, the note was written, and I drove off in my Cayenne S.

Four weeks later, I get a call from the service rep saying both heads need to be replaced and "what should we do ?" Well, my answer was "read the deal, and replace them". After some consideration, the dealer stuck by the original agreement, and I just got my car back 3 days ago with essentially a new engine (new block/crank/pistons/heads belts etc) I also had them replace the MAF and water pump, but at least I know what I have now. The car went down in July '03, and I am just getting it back now. Considering the amount and expense of work done out of warranty, it was well worth the wait (almost $18,000 according to the bills, $2500each for heads, $8000 for block) It cost me $340 for a water pump and $300 for a MAF...thats it !
Old 01-27-2004, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Extended warranty here I come.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did your engine over heat due to a stuck thermostat?

I also have a 2000 A6 4.2 which started to give me cooling problems last October. Fortunately, I noticed that the engine temp was unusually high and immediately took it in the shop to have them correct the problem. Turned out to be a stuck thermostat. If I had run the engine much longer, the heads would have probably warped and I would have been in your shoes. I wonder how many other A6 4.2 have had a similar problem with stuck thermostats? I'm beginning to think that this a recurring problem with early A6 4.2s.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Did your engine over heat due to a stuck thermostat?

I was not told about a stuck thermostat, and I did not experience any visible overheating prior to the block test. i just noticed that over a 2 week period, I refilled the coolant tank twice.

Interestingly, the tech did tell me that the thermostat was replaced "since they were already there"

sounds reasonable to me
Old 01-27-2004, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You're scaring me

My car is going in for a coolant leak soon, it's a 2.8, though.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:04 PM

OK, now how do we get this "Audi Authorized" warranty again?
Old 01-27-2004, 06:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: OK, now how do we get this "Audi Authorized" warranty again?

well, I guess it was the argument I presented. Should a normally aspirated, well proven V8 fail at 70,000 miles with regular maintenance and interval oil changes ?

Why should an Audi failure at 70,000 miles be tolerated when other Audis I have owned have done a minimum of 220,000 miles ?

If this is an aberration, isn't Audi interested in what went wrong ? (Porsche takes back its engines in ENTIRETY so they can be stripped down at the factory and examined.)

When I told the district rep about my long history of Audi ownership, he asked me what my first car was..I told him it was a Audi 100 LS back in the mid seventies...He then asked me about its engine and knew I wasn't bull****ting him. He was actually pretty nice after that !

I think the reason the engine was repaired out of warranty was the catastophic nature of the failure, mileage, maintenance history, forceful yet controlled argument and Audi ownership history.

I will say this...the way they treated me has ensured they will have a loyal Audi and Porsche customer for years....
Old 01-27-2004, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default same set up as the v6 motor

lots of water pumps and thermostats failing