A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6... got cheep, now o see why

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6... got cheep, now o see why

First off, new member and new audi as well. May 5th got a 1999 audi a6 quattro 2.8. It had a check engine light, but test drove it and no big problems. Scanned it, it was a misfire on cylinder 3, changed spark plugs and wires got it oil change. Haven't done much else.

I got it for 800.00. The guy I got it from originally said 02 sensor was out hence the light but already took care of that. After cleaning codes I'm still attempting to drive it to fully log in the codes so I can attempt to pass smog. I live in California.

After thinking about it I might of cleared out the secondary air pump but too my knowledge it hasenr popped back on yet. I know it works cause I hear it on cold starts [the pump front pass side] but why else would it come on?

Also, side marker lights and other lights stay on with no key and doors locked... am I missing something? Also sunroof tilts but doesn't open. And driver side front window does not work but I can hear it work inside door.

Is there any audi buddies in california
Old 05-26-2017, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Use VCDS to scan door latch switches for proper operation.

The sunroof problem sounds like a bad switch.

Good luck with smogging in California. It's one of the (many) reasons I left there...
Old 05-26-2017, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I left LA and moved to Nevada, and I also don't miss the Cali smog laws. That's part of how I get my cars, cheap. Someone can't get the car to pass Cali smog and they give up. I buy it, happy ending.

> After thinking about it I might of cleared out the secondary air pump but too my knowledge it hasenr popped back on yet. I know it works cause I hear it on cold starts

I also hear my black A6's secondary air injection pump come on and stay on for a while, and even so my own Audi also still throws an error code for the secondary air injection system. I clear it and it comes back. I don't know why, as yet.

Anyway, at $800, you essentially got $64,200 discount from the new-car price because the car is twenty years old and has a few issues. That seems like a good deal to me. :-) I'm cheering you on.

Which part of Cali are you in? North? South? Central? Way north?

~Tanya