A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 Turbo Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 05:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 Turbo Help

Hello, I recently just bought an Audi A6 2000 2.7 Twin turbo Quattro. I was wondering how i would adjust the turbo PSI higher than factory. Also how much PSI can the turbos go up to safely and how much PSI can the engine take? I would like to at least go up 4 PSI in each turbo so i can get about 7.5 PSI out of each turbo. Thank you
Old 09-08-2015, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default apr.com

Originally Posted by Alec1278
Hello, I recently just bought an Audi A6 2000 2.7 Twin turbo Quattro. I was wondering how i would adjust the turbo PSI higher than factory. Also how much PSI can the turbos go up to safely and how much PSI can the engine take? I would like to at least go up 4 PSI in each turbo so i can get about 7.5 PSI out of each turbo. Thank you
There are various tuner flashes and/or chips. There's more to it than just turning up the boost. You need fuel, timing, etc.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
There are various tuner flashes and/or chips. There's more to it than just turning up the boost. You need fuel, timing, etc.
Well how would i do this? Whats the best way?
Old 09-08-2015, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default google is your friend.

Well how would i do this? Whats the best way?
find an APR.com dealer. Or a tuner that is near you that knows audi.
Try googling audi 2.7turbo tune.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

But i want to increase the boost on the turbos. How would i do that? Just a tune isnt gonna produce more PSI...
Old 09-08-2015, 07:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Or are the turbos controlled by the ECU? (electronically instead of mechanically)
Old 09-09-2015, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Or are the turbos controlled by the ECU? (electronically instead of mechanically)
If you follow the tips given by SloopJohnB, you will find the information you are looking for.

Electronic control, hence the need for a chip and ECU tune.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Your boost is controlled by your ECU via your N75 electronic control valve. Some people have bypassed it on big turbo builds to use a (MBC) manual boost controller. Others, like myself, run the N75 in parallel with a MBC for both the smoothness of boost delivery and the option to fine tune the boost when needed but yet again, this is done mostly with upgraded turbo builds.
As far as your boost however, 7.5psi is the stock boost if I recall correctly. Most tuners run 16psi-18psi for stage 1 tunes on stock engines creating an average upgrade of 65+hp and around 90lb-ft over the stock of 250hp/258lb-ft.
If you want a basic stage 1 tune then I would recommend GTS. I have heard allot of good things about these guys lately and they are much more reasonable cost wise than most. Looks like this tune will step you up to 16psi boost for 320hp/350lb-ft. Not too shabby mate.

Stage 1 - APB / BEL
Old 09-09-2015, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default all turbos controlled mechanically..it's complicated.

generally they're set at a base boost which is mechanically controlled by the wastegate boost motor…the ecu dumps manifold pressure signal to the wastegate to fool it into staying closed (N75 valve?).

Soooo, you could plumb in a T and a manual regulator before the valve and bleed off the manifold pressure signal but it's dicey without a boost gauge and like anything else if the line breaks the wastegate gets no signal and boosts without limit.
Generally a connecting rod lets go first….ask me how I know this!
Old 09-09-2015, 12:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RTnDL
Your boost is controlled by your ECU via your N75 electronic control valve. Some people have bypassed it on big turbo builds to use a (MBC) manual boost controller. Others, like myself, run the N75 in parallel with a MBC for both the smoothness of boost delivery and the option to fine tune the boost when needed but yet again, this is done mostly with upgraded turbo builds.
As far as your boost however, 7.5psi is the stock boost if I recall correctly. Most tuners run 16psi-18psi for stage 1 tunes on stock engines creating an average upgrade of 65+hp and around 90lb-ft over the stock of 250hp/258lb-ft.
If you want a basic stage 1 tune then I would recommend GTS. I have heard allot of good things about these guys lately and they are much more reasonable cost wise than most. Looks like this tune will step you up to 16psi boost for 320hp/350lb-ft. Not too shabby mate.

Stage 1 - APB / BEL
Your signature shows you on stage 3, how long have you run @ this stage? Also, you must of been on stage 1 @ some point? If so, for how long and how hard do you run your car? Any spark plug change? If so, to what? Any concerns about GTS remote flashing?

Don't mean to thread highjack but I think these are relevant questions.

Good question OP!

Cheers,
Moncho

Quick Reply: A6 Turbo Help