A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Acceleration hesitation issue solved thanks to wait for it....wait for it...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acceleration hesitation issue solved thanks to wait for it....wait for it...

searching.

My wife's 1999 A6 2.8 has recently started exhibiting symptoms hesitating when accelerating. She said it happened all the time, not just from a foot-on-the-brake stop, but even accelerating at freeway speeds.

After slogging through hundreds of search hits, there seemed to be a trend of people who fixed this by resetting the throttle's adaptation variables (that's what I'll call it anyway).

I'm not an expert on this but the computer monitors the driver's driving style and makes modifications to the engine management/throttle/whatever else as it sees fit.

In theory I guess this might work fine for normal daily driving. However, she has started doing a once a week 250 mile roundtrip on the freeway. My theory is that this interjection of long, relatively stable acceleration affected the way the computer responded to the accelerator. Exactly *how* this driving style made the car's acceleration lag is beyond me, but it seemed like a reasonable place to start...especially since it didn't involve money or a trip to the dealer.

To reset the computer: with the car off, I depressed the accelerator pedal to the floor and held it for about 5 seconds (there was some variance in how long this was necessary). I restarted the car and it is responding extremely well. None of the previous hesitation.

Nice work A6 forum. Hopefully someday someone will find this post and it will help them too.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:01 AM

finally- a "how to" post I can remember! Thanks
Old 05-10-2005, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

did you restart with the pedal pushed down.? or after you released it..?
Old 05-10-2005, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Release the accelerator, then start car.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:49 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I just keep hammering my car, that way it's used to full throttle 85% of the time... :-)
Old 05-10-2005, 12:56 PM

Tried this at lunch - did the car give you any feedback afterward?
Old 05-10-2005, 01:06 PM

Default also works on the transmision

when driving in the city the transmision wouldn't upshift holding the gear, which is good but then it would continue to do it. Holding the pedal then starting reseted this as well.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes. When I did it, I noticed a difference immediately.

It clears out all these stored variables and returns the throttel/computer to its default state (I might be totally butchering this, but that's my understanding).

Just because you do it, doesn't necessarily mean you will feel anything different. Only if the computer has set variables that are irrelevant for your normal driving habits should you notice a difference.

As in my wife's case the computer was seeing a trend of extremely long periods of low acceleration and appears to have adapted itself to be less responsive to changes in depressing the gas pedal. Which is fine if you're on the freeway, not fine if you're trying to cross a busy intersection.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

hey Kris, where you been? Long time no "talk"?
Old 05-10-2005, 09:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hmmm, im experiencing something similar. i'm going outside to try it out now.

Quick Reply: Acceleration hesitation issue solved thanks to wait for it....wait for it...