AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/)
-   -   Actively searching for extended warranties--> (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/actively-searching-extended-warranties-1658505/)

Jim Will 04-30-2002 04:31 AM

Actively searching for extended warranties-->

For those who have them, would you mind telling me what company and how much you paid?
I'm looking at 1source Auto Warranty (website is the same name) and they want $2324.00 for their bumper to bumper coverage for an additional 60 mos (total 100k, this includes and additional $200 surcharge for the twin turbo engine)

I have checked with Warranty Gold and they want $2855 for their coverage, same term limits

This sounds expensive to me (both of them) but I'm new to the extended warranty world, so any assistance you can give would be appreciated.

CEB 04-30-2002 04:53 AM

Acura - $1700 non-turbo $50 deductible

TraderAlex 04-30-2002 05:45 AM

Buyer beware and cautious

The problem is that many of the insurance companies that issue these after-market warranties is that they will conduct themselves in an even more shameless and unprofessional manner than some of the worst health insurance providers. Many will make your life miserable, trying to deny authorization to your mechanic for every claim submitted. Or they may end up paying out only what they believe is the fair value of the repair, hundreds below the actual cost. Maybe some of these underwriters are better than others. But my opinion is that most of them will take your money and then not provide service when you need real help. One underwriter I suggest you avoid is
AutoGuard. The polite thing to say is that they
are not "customer oriented".

Jon C 04-30-2002 06:22 AM

First of all, understand that these are not warranties...

"warranty" is a legal term of art.

These are "extended service contracts" that cover "Breakdowns" of "Covered components."

Read the exclusions carefully, they will determine what's not covered. Ideally, all OEM equipment should be covered, including failure due to "wear and tear" as opp. to "Breakdown."

I'm neutral on service contracts, I've had 4 and only one paid for itself so far. On an A6, however, things are expensive enough (turbos, tiptronics) that your odds may go up, though those are very expensive premiums IMO, consider whether you can "self insure" and have a reserve to cover repairs. Not the perfect solution, but less $$ out of pocket up front, and may or may not work to your advantage in the meantime.

phred 04-30-2002 10:52 AM

Remember if you're in CA you can't get these over the net

My car insurance agent and my credit union both offer a plan from American Mercury, which seems to be affiliated with Mercury Insurance.

Stoney 04-30-2002 11:51 AM

Warranty Direct is great, but you have to phone in CA, not use the net...

because the net said they don't cover in CA. But we have one!