AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/)
-   -   After reading all I can stand about brake rotors in the archives (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/after-reading-all-i-can-stand-about-brake-rotors-archives-1700369/)

Phat A6 05-25-2005 04:45 PM

After reading all I can stand about brake rotors in the archives

I'm more confused about what brand to buy. I want to keep the rotors stock. So do I go straight to the stealer and take my lumps, or do I buy some type of aftermarket. Are there brands to stay away from? Plus... everybody and there brother sells rotors on-line, who do you like? Any recommendations would be appreciated. I'll replace them myself. Thanks in advance.

brat2.ua 05-25-2005 04:54 PM

I'm glad not only me lost with those rotors...

I don't know myself on what to choose for my 2.7T. I'm going with the slotted though. If i'll find something i'll let you know...

DrHandball 05-25-2005 04:59 PM

Zimmermann are good aftermarket stock replacements.

Boston Driver 05-25-2005 05:01 PM

After reading just about everything I can get my hands on, I'm going with...

Zimmerman or Brembo rotors, no slots, so cross-drilling. Just plain old flat faced rotors with better venting fins and less chance of warping than the OEM rotors. Oh, and I'll most likely get a set that is cadmium or zinc coated on the unswept surfaces to avoid rust.

If I decide to go a bit further up in price, I might consider the Stoptech Stage II kit, but that only comes slotted or cross-drilled, and cost ALOT more $$$.

MP4.2+6.0 05-25-2005 05:06 PM

I think you may be overanalyzing it.

Audi doesn't make rotors, just like the rest of the car co's don't. Thus if you go with the major OEM brands, you are likely getting it from their same suppliers--Zimmerman, ATE, Brembo, etc., particularly if you go with the European based suppliers. Personally that is an item I would not be paying dealer mark up for. No reading of this site would possibly convince me that Audi supplied rotors are the hot ticket--endless stories about vibration, warping, etc. (which I think often has a lot to do with not bedding pads in, aggressive driving and holding the brakes down tight when hot and stopped). And again, they are coming behind the scenes from the same OEM suppliers anyway.

Phat A6 05-25-2005 05:16 PM

Your right...overanalyzing it, but it's for my Audi..

I'm leaning towards Zimmermans, no slots, no holes.

Phat A6 05-25-2005 05:23 PM

I agree no holes, no slots. For my driving style it doesn't make sence.

slimmn 05-25-2005 05:48 PM

I agree with alot of what MP4.2 has to say. I just replaced the pads and rotors on my car, and

I went with stock - $165 for rotors and $100 for pads, less $20% Audi club discount at my local dealership. It's as cheap if not cheaper than most online and/or aftermarket choices out there. And no waiting!! The OEM prices were recently lowered, apparently.

I've also tried slotted and drilled rotors on my Passat, and finally went back to plain. Did not make any difference to me on local street driving, and finally decided I didn't want to pay for the extra. Only reason I got the slotted/drilled were purely for looks. Yes, I'm guilty of it ;-) Now I have plain fronts with slotted rear - looks stupid, I know, but I'm done paying extra for slotted fronts.

As for pads - I don't feel anything special with aftermarket or stock. Yes, some are more dusty than others, but eventually, the wheels get dirty anyways, at the rate I wash my cars. I've overheated the Mintex Red (on the Passat)on just plain aggresive street driving (not speeding, just lots of jackrabbits stops and go - very late for an important meeting).

MP4.2+6.0 05-25-2005 08:08 PM

That sounds like a good price for the 4.2

Another thing to be careful of mail order/web sites is shipping on brake rotors. With many parts you come out even or ahead on the sales tax vs. shipping trade off in a higher tax state like CA, but not front rotors that can be $50+ shipping for a pair moving across a fair part of the country. Especially on the 4.2's/2.7's/S4's with the larger sized rotors that weigh like a rock. The dealer or dedicated local parts store with brand name stuff can look more attractive for the shipping cost sensitive items like rotors.

A6Gary 05-25-2005 09:34 PM

Ditto for Zimmerman or Brembo rotors (I used Brembo). I selected Pagid pads for normal driving.