A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

cam belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam belt replacement

I suspect my 99 2.4 A6 has a broken cam belt. Does this model bend valves or am i being over optimistic in hoping i can just replace the belt...???. Also, whatever the ans, will i be able to do the job myself or are special tools required. I would also appreciate info or a site i can go to, where detailed info is given on the correct removal and replacement of the bumper.( that scares me most ). She's got 160,000km on the clock, and this is her second belt.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

bent valves likely.
Removal of bumper is trivial compared to the timing belt/tensioners/pulleys/valve issues.
To remove the bumper just remove the front wheel liners (some people are good enough to just flex the liner but I like to remove them), remove the belly pan (again, all you really need to do is pull the front three fasteners, but eventually you'll remove the pan), remove the three nuts in a vertical column on either side inside the fender liners up toward the front, pop the left and right lower outside grilles around the fog lights if you have fogs, remove the vertical upwards socket headed cap screw (one each) that is now accessible through those grille holes, and walla … the front bumper comes off.
Be careful, it's awkward if not particularly heavy, two people works the first time, put a big piece of cardboard or furniture mat underneath so you don't scratch it went it comes off.
Reassembly is the reverse…just watch out you didn't move the adjusters around while you were fooling around with the bumper off. I just mark them with vertical magic marker lines. The adjusters are the round bushings threaded into above and below the T-shaped supports that jut out from the frame. These are the supports that you have to remove (as well as the bolts into the fenders and radiator support) to get the radiator support into service position.

Lastly, on a 99 car that bent valves…it's most likely a parts car unless you want a project car. Time to salvage it and move on for the most part.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

dont forget to disconnect the headlight squirter hose quick disconnect if you have those and use a hemostst on the hose so you dont dump/wear the stuff. be carefull with the plastic clip as it can be fragile.
Also discinnect the Horns as well as the fog lights .. pretty easy once you're under there.

As pointed out this is easy stuff compared to the rest of the job.