A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

recurring DTC 65535

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default recurring DTC 65535

I had this code a year ago on 2000 2.7 A6. It is Internal Control Module Memory Error. It is not from an accident. At that time I was told on this forum that the DTC 65535 was a fatal error and necessitated replacing the Airbag Control Module. The companies that reset the airbag control modules would not or could not repair this error, only the error code set if the car was in an accident and set a different code.

I did find a company in Sudbury Ontario that repaired it. I put it back into the car and it worked for 12 months. After the car set the same DTC 65535 last week I did another search for a fix. I found there are several people on the internet selling airbag control module reset tools. They plug into the same OBD port we use for VCDS. These devices are available from $35 to $300 +/-. I also found the fellow in Sudbury who fixed mine last year had been a reviewer of one of the more expensive versions. Sounded like it was what he did to "fix" mine.

My question is, does anyone have experience with these devices? If my car is going to set this code every so often it makes sense to buy one of these devices rather than pulling the airbag module out and shipping to off. Or, does anyone know whether a new module will resolve this once and for all? I get the impression this is not an uncommon problem. I'd hate to buy a new module for $600-800 and get the code again.

Thanks
Old 02-04-2013, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a used module for my A6 3 years ago. Still works to this day.

You'll need to code it to your car, so be sure to grab coding information from your existing one.

You also have to make sure you get the same part # air bag module.

Total cost - $150 for the part with shipping, plus my own labour. Search ebay, call Shokan, Bryan @ audis4parts.com, etc...
Old 02-04-2013, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
I bought a used module for my A6 3 years ago. Still works to this day.

You'll need to code it to your car, so be sure to grab coding information from your existing one.

You also have to make sure you get the same part # air bag module.

Total cost - $150 for the part with shipping, plus my own labour. Search ebay, call Shokan, Bryan @ audis4parts.com, etc...
Thanks for the info. Is there a way to get the part # without removing the thing? It is a daily driver and I don't want to drive it around all torn apart.

Also, do you know whether the airbags will still deploy with this code present?
Old 02-04-2013, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by clancy
Thanks for the info. Is there a way to get the part # without removing the thing? It is a daily driver and I don't want to drive it around all torn apart.

Also, do you know whether the airbags will still deploy with this code present?
No, your air bags will not deploy. That's why the air bag light in the instrument cluster is on. When you have a faulty air bag module, it's done.

I don't remember if I disassembled mine to get the part #, it is worthwhile to check via VCDS (aka VAG-COM).

You can take the centre console out, get to the module, read the part # and then order a new used one. Just drive the car disassembled for a couple of days/weeks until you're ready to install.

If you search, you'll find the coding procedure somewhere.

You will need VCDS to recode it to your car.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
No, your air bags will not deploy. That's why the air bag light in the instrument cluster is on. When you have a faulty air bag module, it's done.

I don't remember if I disassembled mine to get the part #, it is worthwhile to check via VCDS (aka VAG-COM).

You can take the centre console out, get to the module, read the part # and then order a new used one. Just drive the car disassembled for a couple of days/weeks until you're ready to install.

If you search, you'll find the coding procedure somewhere.

You will need VCDS to recode it to your car.
I am kicking myself. I had the part number and a photo of the unit but deleted the info when the unit was repaired and operating. I sure don't want to go through this dismantle routine again. I am concerned whether another used one will go through the same issue. I understand that DTC 65535 is not that uncommon. But I also do not want to buy a new one from Audi for $600+. Not for a car that old.

I have VCDS so I'll check for the part number.

Thanks
Old 02-04-2013, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hard to give advice, but my used module has been working for over 3 years. At $150 it was worth it to me.

There is no guarantee that another used module will work for a long time.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, I decided to take a chance on the $31.99 fix. Ordered the VAG OBD2 II Airbag Crash Resetter Tool for Audi VW from Tmart.com and it worked! Turned off my airbag light triggered by DTC 65535. I've driven the car twice since and the light is still off. So the "too cheap to believe it will work" solution appears to have done the trick.

I will update if I experience any issues.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Interesting! Does the module still report the checksum error, or has it been completely cleared?

You can reset the module 2 times, from what I recall reading. And good for you on the cheap fix and not having to take it all apart again.

edit: but that is for crash resets. I thought the 65535 code has to do with internal fault that wasn't flashable/fixable. Learned something new.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

DTC 65535 is Internal Control Module Memory Error for the airbag. I did not use the VCDS after the device turned the airbag light off to check for errors.

Yes, I was told by several that this 65535 was not fixable. Anyhow, the light is off. Guess that is no longer correct.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, the airbag light came back on this weekend. It was cold and I hear that sometimes trips this module. Anyway, used my VAG OBD2 II Airbag Crash Resetter Tool for Audi VW and all is good. Took me all of one minute to reset the light.

So this may not be a permanent fix. But as long as I can reset the light as easily as this it is still better than tearing apart the dash to install a new module. Plus, much cheaper.

I will post if the light comes back on and I can no longer reset it.

Quick Reply: recurring DTC 65535