Another 2.7 that wont start - Any ideas please - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion
Reload this Page > Another 2.7 that wont start - Any ideas please
Notices
A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 2.7 that wont start - Any ideas please

Old 09-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Another 2.7 that wont start - Any ideas please

I have read many many forums and am stuck asking the question, why my 2.7t wont start... Checked all fuses ok. I have checked spark on rear 4 cylinders and all are good. Fuel is coming from fuel line when disconnected from rail. Tried spraying starter fluid into throttle body - nothing. Sprayed starter fluid into 4/6 cylinders spark plugs removed of course - nothing at not all.

Recently replaced CPS and cleared cps code along with misfire codes. Now no codes still no start. Any input would be greatly appreciated or point me in the right direction. I refuse to take it to a shop.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Ummm. Bad coolant temp sensor? What temp does it read when you try to start the car? And I mean via VCDS, not the cluster.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I do not have VCDS, but my BT OBD scan tool on my android said it was 27 deg Celsius. However the coolant error on the lcd was flashing because the bottle is empty.
I am in the process of draining and refreshing the coolant because the previous owner used orange and green stuff!! not pink.
I am getting no error codes, will the car not start if there is a coolant issue? I wanted to run D water through the engine a few cycles before I put new coolant in.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Crank position sensor? You may need a VAG-com to check it I think. Mine did not throw a code.

Cheers
Massboykie
Old 09-10-2013, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by LakeTahoeQuattro View Post
I do not have VCDS, but my BT OBD scan tool on my android said it was 27 deg Celsius. However the coolant error on the lcd was flashing because the bottle is empty.
I am in the process of draining and refreshing the coolant because the previous owner used orange and green stuff!! not pink.
I am getting no error codes, will the car not start if there is a coolant issue? I wanted to run D water through the engine a few cycles before I put new coolant in.
You have no coolant in the car? Interesting. Why don't you fill up with distilled water and try again. It's still possible your CTS is faulty and you should replace it.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I will do as you suggest, I have already put in 1 gallon of D water, but it needs more. I was told that the car would start regardless of coolant in motor and coolant sensor does not not inhibit start...
Old 09-11-2013, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Okat this is a classic case of not information being communicated ... starts off as it wont start... and its not until questions are asked that we find out that there is no coolant in it at all . Why dont you start at the beginning.
Are you even sure the timing belt isnt snapped ? I would do a compression check since you seem to have fuel and spark .. if the Crank position sensor was gone you wouldnt have spark.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:59 AM
Tech Guru

As usual, it takes several posts for the really important info to come out. Here's my guess based on the information we have and some speculation:

This car was started and run for a few seconds before being shut down again. It is experiencing what other forums refer to as "lawnmover syndrome". Throttle pedal to the floor, crank until it start (much longer than you think you should be cranking it).
Old 09-11-2013, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

OP has so much information scattered all over the place, here's a rundown of what I consider to be important clues:

Originally Posted by LakeTahoeQuattr View Post
It is an 02 allroad with the 2.7. When I bought the car the previous owner said that it just "needed an o2 sensor" however no code is showing up on my OBD. Backround: The previous owner sold me the car as a mechanics special as I have always wanted an allroad. The previous owner trashed the car using green and orange coolant and cheap oil etc... No, no fire
The car did not start when I got it. I assumed it was the CPS sensor causing the issue because I read that the car will not start if they are bad. I only tested the back 4 coil packs / plugs not the front two because they are covered by the turbo pipes. I assumed that all 6 are sparking if 4 are, and at a minimum 4 should get it started.
I looked in my fault code log and the codes I got upon obtaining the car were p0300 and p0335. It is not catching what so ever, it is just turning over and over.
I have read many many forums and am stuck asking the question, why my 2.7t wont start... Checked all fuses ok. I have checked spark on rear 4 cylinders and all are good. Fuel is coming from fuel line when disconnected from rail. Tried spraying starter fluid into throttle body - nothing. Sprayed starter fluid into 4/6 cylinders spark plugs removed of course - nothing at not all.
Battery is brand new non OE, should that matter? I am going to replace it with OE once I get things running.
Would alternator affect no start?
Are the coils assumed ok if they make the spark plugs spark when held next to ground?
It is cranking, it stopped running when Crank Position sensor went out. I replaced it and cleared code. Now no start
No I checked that no immobilizer issue
^Responding to this question "Does the yellow key symbol in the cluster flash when trying to start? It could be an immobilizer issue where your key can't be read."

I thank the forum members much for helping me diagnose my no start issue. I have concluded that I am getting fuel/spark, and no codes. I have concluded that the coolant sensor, o2 sensors, and knock sensors will not inhibit start. I have replaced CPS sensor. I have not: done a cylinder pressure test and have not diagnosed the timing to be correct or not.
Originally Posted by LakeTahoeQuattro View Post

Last edited by OGBULLYLOCDAWG; 09-11-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

I mean, if the information/diagnosis is accurate, he has a new battery and he's getting fuel & spark... there's one important key that hasn't been verified and that's compression.

He purchased the car with codes showing for the crankshaft position sensor and multiple misfires.

I don't think OP has much history on the car and won't be able to confirm what happened leading up to the no-start.

It's possible he got a good deal on it hoping it'd be an simple fix(cps sensor), not considering that the timing belt may have skipped a few teeth.

Get it in service position and check the timing, or at least do a Compression or Cylinder leak down test and see what's going on with the motor.

Last edited by OGBULLYLOCDAWG; 09-11-2013 at 11:51 AM.