A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Is anyone NOT having problems with their A6? (+)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is anyone NOT having problems with their A6? (+)

You guys are making me VERY nervous about having ordered a new '03 A6 2.7T. My '99 BMW 528i was just sold today...that car was great with few service issues. It handled great, was quick, and got fantastic gas mileage. I wanted to try AWD since I live in northern NH and also wanted to stay with a luxury/sport sedan ... so the A6 with the 2.7 engine seemed a logical choice. Now I'm beginning to wonder if I didn't make a huge mistake. After several weeks on this board all I'm hearing is A6 owners complaining about how unreliable and poorly built the Audis are, how poor the service is, how unresponsive the Tiptronic is, and how sloppy the handling is. I'm locked into the order since I left a sizeable deposit, but am wondering if I should opt for a 24 month lease so I don't have to commit to a longer run with this car. My closest Audi dealer is a 3 hour round trip. If I wind up having to get my car serviced frequently due to nagging service problems this will not be a long relationship. So...does anyone on this board NOT have problems with their A6?
Old 10-11-2002, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

2000 A6 2.7T...NO PROBLEMS!!!
Old 10-11-2002, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2000 2.7T, 21K miles, no significant problems.
Old 10-11-2002, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 2002 2.7T 6200 miles, no problems, except....

a slight vibration/shimmy between 45-65mph. I'm pretty confident a tire balance will fix it. Otherwise, nothing. I love this car.

Couple of things:

Gas mileage is pretty bad, IMHO, but I didn't buy it for the gas mileage. I knew it wouldn't be great. Highway best 22mpg, but I drive 80+mph. City driving 14-16mpg. These are my figures, others have done better, but the car is so d*mn fun that I drive it hard most of the time. I'm always smiling. You'll absolutely LOVE the performance of this car coming from a 528 (at least I hope you will)

Handling, at least with the Sports Package, is decent for a car this size/weight. Depending on your 528, it's wheel/tire combo and your driving experience, I think you'll be happy with the 2.7T. It's a point and shoot car.

I think you'll like the size of the car compared to the BMW. Much bigger in the back seat and the trunk seems larger as well, but the car doesn't look "big".

Tiptronic is a little sluggish off the line, slight hesitation. If you leave it in the Sport mode and get your ECU recoded, it will hold 1st longer. I've adjusted to it, but yes, I think it could be better.

As far as service is concerned, unfortunately it's a dealer to dealer issue. Some are great, some aren't. Perhaps you could list the dealer name here and ask for feedback. Also check with the BBB in the dealer's region and see if there's any complaints. Also, inform your salesperson that you have some reservations in this area, especially since you're 3 hours away.
Old 10-11-2002, 05:02 AM

'99 A6 2.8...no problems; excellent service
Old 10-11-2002, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't have any serious problems. You have to realize that this is a German car and

small things will break - window motors, stupid crap like that. If this didn't happen on your BMW, you are VERY lucky. Both my father and my brother own beamers and they always have a little issue here or there.

A VERY big reason people come here is to complain : ) Because we will listen and offer advice. Obviously there are other reasons as well, but you hardly ever see a post with "just wanted to let everyone know that my car is running fine."

As for the sloppy handling, the new sports package is pretty darn nice, but my car was a turd when it was stock - no contest. You are fortunate enough to have the updated package at your disposal. If you don't push your car, it won't really matter one way or another.

Service appears to vary greatly. My dealer/shop is very good IMO and they get the job done. Unfortunately this is not always the case and that is AoA's fault; they need better quality control on their dealerships.

I think you will love your car, you made a great choice.

-st
Old 10-11-2002, 05:13 AM

Default '01 2.7T 50K, no problems...

Are you North of MW Valley?
Old 10-11-2002, 05:19 AM

2001 4.2 Prob: Too Fast! Looks too good!
Old 10-11-2002, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ditto. If you want perfection, get a Lexus. If you appreciate "character" and engineering, ...

... you cannot beat Audi (or BMW).

Keep in mind that you have some real stickers on this list. I've had (and still have) small issues that I will have addressed at the next scheduled service, but I can live with a bad gauge, or a squeak.
Old 10-11-2002, 05:52 AM

'02 A6 Avant - 642 trouble-free miles (except when the wife left the parking brake on...)

Quick Reply: Is anyone NOT having problems with their A6? (+)