A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Audi A6 2.8l Problem Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 09:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To answer the other questions, I actually did have a flashing oil light. It would flash about 4 times and go away. At random times.

SO you replaced the sensor and the rough idle went away?????

I did use the crank locking pin. (Have the timing belt tool kit from Blau)
Old 11-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also in regards to the flashing oil light: I never had a rough idle when the light was flashing before...

Rough idle only after this whole timing issue. Remember I have slightly low intake manifold vacuum.. 14".... I can't see how oil level or pressure would effect vacuum pressure??

I have decided to take and rotate intake came back a tooth and see where everything lines up.....

Steve C
Old 11-19-2012, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The rough idle came after I replaced a head and the timing belt. The oil pressure issue came well after that, and I did not associate the two - but I think it's worth noting since we both have similar issues, including that. Not sure they are related though.

On the caps - I can't tell from the numbers, I always forget. If you pull one cap off and look at the mating surface where it connects to the head you will see the holes and how they should line up with the holes in the head....once you pull one you will know for sure and can just orientate the numbers in the same direction.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jseklund
The rough idle came after I replaced a head and the timing belt. The oil pressure issue came well after that, and I did not associate the two - but I think it's worth noting since we both have similar issues, including that. Not sure they are related though.

On the caps - I can't tell from the numbers, I always forget. If you pull one cap off and look at the mating surface where it connects to the head you will see the holes and how they should line up with the holes in the head....once you pull one you will know for sure and can just orientate the numbers in the same direction.
So for the rough idle in the end which sensor did you replace that smoothed everything out???

I did put caps on correct, but I have pulled the caps on drivers side again to make sure sure that everything is correct.

One thing I am still seeing is when I turn the carank by hand I don't see oil coming up from the center of the tensioner onto the pad or chain.... Is this normal? I am worried that I am not seeing oil on the shaft that moves up and down on the tensioner??
Old 12-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Did you ever figure out your problem ? Im researching the similar problems with a 98 a6 quattro i bought from my boss. It has had a head replaced, since the head was replaced, i have the rough idle, and the dreaded oil light. Im curious as to what all you've figured out with your car
Old 01-13-2015, 04:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by clcycle
Did you ever figure out your problem ? Im researching the similar problems with a 98 a6 quattro i bought from my boss. It has had a head replaced, since the head was replaced, i have the rough idle, and the dreaded oil light. Im curious as to what all you've figured out with your car
I did actually. I had the chain off 1 tooth on bank 2 drivers side. Took it to a shop that does lots of these and it even took him staring at it for a while to confirm by recounting the chain links several times. He moved it 1 tooth and it idled perfect.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by tcdesignguy
I did actually. I had the chain off 1 tooth on bank 2 drivers side. Took it to a shop that does lots of these and it even took him staring at it for a while to confirm by recounting the chain links several times. He moved it 1 tooth and it idled perfect.
..and this is why pics with a really good digital Camera are so valubale before you start any project like this ..

Glad you got her going ..