A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004
Old 08-15-2016, 02:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C5) Engine Problems by Symptom
Print Wikipost

Audi A6 won't start, then eventually does...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A6 won't start, then eventually does...

Hey guys. I'm looking for some help diagnosing a new problem with my 1998 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro.

The car is otherwise running great, but about a month ago I had driven the car to the store, no problem. Came out 20 minutes later and it wouldn't start. The lights/accessory power/indicator lights and everything looked fine, were on, and appeared to be working normally.

When I turned the key it sounded like it wanted to start, it just never would turn over or catch. I kept sporadically trying to start the car for around 5-10 min. and it finally did start. I had the battery checked out and it is fine.

I have been driving the car ever since with no more problems until last week when it did the same thing, and then yesterday it wouldn't start for a third time. Each time this has happened I had been driving the car for a while and the engine would have been warm.

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem or has any suggestions on what the problem could be before I take it in to the dealer.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 01-04-2011, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Have you replaced the coolant temp sensor?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am the second owner, but in the past 5 years or so I haven't replaced it.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

NO codes mil light>? Have autoscan it on VCDS or Vag it ? Those would be the 1st places I would look. Try to look for a person in your are with a diag.system and then report back.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

yeah this looks to be something commond i have the same issue and i have heard from my mechanic and from 1 other post that i saw here that its the crankshaft position censor and suposadly what hapends is this censor gets warm and the car wont start i just order the censor for 85 from ECS and i should have it by Friday and will try to replace it on the weekend and tell you if it worked for me
Old 01-04-2011, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is important...you said it doesn't turn over or crank...what did you mean?

If the engine still rotates but won't actually start for about 10 minutes then I've had this problem.

Mine turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor. It didn't show up as a engine light but it did read as a code. I don't remember the code number.

This one here...

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...ition%20Sensor

If the engine won't even rotate then I would venture to look at the gear position switch.

I would definitely look at crankshaft position sensor though. With the time frame you mentioned, the symptoms really fit well.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

yeah i had the same issue the CE light its not on but in my case it did not give me the code so i am going to replace it, and its not that expensive so lets see what happends
Old 01-04-2011, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

If you have ignition wires it's relatively easy to diagnose no spark...bring a plug with you next time you go out and when it doesn't want to start, ground the plug, hook it up to an ignition wire and see if you got spark.

If not, it's likely the crankshaft position sensor or an ignition control module or amplifier.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm in school so I just got the car in late last week. They weren't able to get the car to reproduce the actual problem (trying to start but not turning over/catching), but the car had a code for a faulty "crankshaft position sensor." Going to replace that and see if it solves the problem. Ended up costing $250.00 for parts/labor.

Anyone had any problems with a crankshaft position sensor?
Old 01-18-2011, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I see a few people mentioned this was their problem too, that gives me some hope that this will solve mine as well. Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Audi A6 won't start, then eventually does...