A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Autoweek on the new one.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autoweek on the new one.

<ul><li><a href="http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&amp;cat_code=car news&amp;loc_code=index&amp;content_code=04699691" >Autoweek's A6</a></li></ul>
Old 02-18-2004, 06:16 AM

Default Smart engine range. The 2.4 will appeal to A4ers that need something bigger

but don't have big bucks to spend. The 3.2 will have the spunk without the turbo problems of the 2.7T/S4biturbo and the 4.2 will appeal to torque junkies with more $$$.
Much smarter than the current 3.0, 2.7t, 4.2 line.

Now if only we figure out how to mod that rear...
and add a decent sterring wheel, a new dash and
some good wheels... Then I would be interested.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default geez.. in the autoweek pictures.. the A6 w/ those rims looks like a ford taurus/sable

or even a buick...
Old 02-18-2004, 06:22 AM

Default Autoweek and fact checking

Autoweek describes itself as the premier magazine for automotive news yet its fact checking is sub-par. First, Audi of America will not release engine specifications well before a model launch. Second, there are several issues with fuel quality before a direct-injected petrol engine could be released for the U.S. market. Third, the 3.2 litre engine in the A6 is not a variant of the engine found in the TT and other VW products.

I cannot believe that this publication can consistently be so wrong with the facts and remain in print. I stopped receiving this publication and the other US-based rags, replacing them with AutoCar, Car Magazine and a host of other higher-quality European publications.

Cordially,

John J. Szobocsan

NM TT #11
'05 S4 Cabriolet on order
Old 02-18-2004, 06:27 AM

Default Except that the 3.2 needs more torque I think.

If that's now the 'middle' engine, it doesn't keep up with the 2.7T, especially the "S-Line". It'll be a tough decision when my '01 6-speed lease is up in September.

BTW, here's the Car&amp;Driver link from today.<ul><li><a href="http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=29&amp;article_id=7837">Car &amp;Driver A6</a></li></ul>
Old 02-18-2004, 06:27 AM

Default first.. any magazine touts that they are the premier magazine.. that's just lame to believe in any

case... two...where did you get your information that the 3.2 engine going in the A6 is not a variant of the TTs... i wouldn't be surprised if it was...crossplatform sharing is common in all manufacturers... whatever keeps the costs low... three.. what are those issues with direct-inject... and four... how do you know AoA won't release engine specs... that's usually what happens....BMW did that... i guess my question is where are you getting your information from... if not directly from Audi...I'd say hold off on your bold statements... just speculate...
Old 02-18-2004, 06:31 AM

Default Thanks for the clarification...

I too was surprised with a 177HP engine on the A6. I can only imagine what the boys at Road and Track and other mags would say to that... But I do think there would be a market for it. Let's wait and see.

You are also correct on the error concerning the 3.2 engine, it is not at all a derivative of the TT engine.

As for Autoweek I could not agree more. It is really a poor magazine and there are much better mags in this country. After receiving all of them for a few years I finally settled on Car and Driver as the least bad. Automobile is acceptable but not as good IMO. As far as I am concerned all the others are junk.

And you are correct there are much better euro car mags for people like us that love cars. However they usually cover model ranges we don't have and don't cover the ones we have. So american car mags do have some value.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default North American fuel quality issues (i.e. too many impurities such as sulfur)...

will be taken care of completely by midnight on Saturday January 1st 2005. North American fuel quality will match or exceed fuel quality in the rest of the world. That is why all of the other petrol engines in the Audi lineup won't receive direct fuel injection until the 2006 model year. This was all confirmed according to what one of the AW members (forgot who) here on the C5 A6-S6 forum indicated last summer.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:38 AM
V

Autoweek also predicted a while back the A6 would be rear-drive LOL
Old 02-18-2004, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't remember AutoWeek predicting rear wheel drive for the new A6

I know that VW Vortex indicated that with the introduction of VW's luxury sedan on the C6 platform (between the Passat and that awful Phaeton) will have RWD, forcing Audi to eventually follow suit on the new A6 which is also on the C6 platform. The C6 platform is supposed to have exceptional flexibility for changes like this that would otherwise require redesigning and extensive retooling.

Quick Reply: Autoweek on the new one.