A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

avoid cooking turbos - temp probe(s)/thermocouples?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default avoid cooking turbos - temp probe(s)/thermocouples?

a6 2.7t

how about 2 thermocouples on the turbos, with a display on dash, to directly measure what you need to know for post run idling time etc?

anyone done it? i guess near the exhaust side of turbo would be best place to put it.

fed up idling car for a guestimate of how long it takes to cool turbos down, especially after short town trips
Old 03-30-2004, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: avoid cooking turbos - temp probe(s)/thermocouples?

The problem is that when you shut your engine off your oil stops flowing. If the turbo, oil and water is too hot it can cook the oil in the turbo passages. Can be a combination of the three or just one way out of whack. Sounds like a good disertation topic.

It's easier to just let the car idle to keep the oil moving.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You're probably being over-cautious. I only cool down if I have...

... been driving real hard before stopping.

To really measure the best source, you would want to tap the oil shortly after the turbos.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There are already two EGT sensors on the car and you can read.. (updated)

the temperatures with a diagnostic tool such as our ProDiag system. The engine management system is already watching EGT (as well as all of the rest of the sensor info that you monitor with the Measuring Blocks), and makes sure that it won't allow it to go too high (indicating mixture or boost problems). Unless you are chipped and/or have a bad diverter valve(s), F hose (where applicable), diverter valves, or throttle body boot, watching EGT isn't going to tell you much other than being an interesting parameter to watch. The engineers that setup the system knew what they were doing.

Unless you run hard into your garage, I wouldn't worry too much about the cool down. Audi has already taken care of that with an after-run coolant pump that circulates coolant through the turbos if the engine temp is high.

The best thing that you can do is to use synthetic oil and take it easy on warm up, i.e. don't go WOT until you see the oil start to warm up. On most of our 2.7Ts, you will hear the turbos when the engine is cold. During that time, you definitely do not want to push it.

It is good to have have a diagnostic tool and to be proactive in maintaining your car.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

good point, but hard to drive and look at a laptop.... (i have vagcom)
Old 03-30-2004, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default "Don't go WOT until you see the oil start to warm up." A rule I cannot seem to follow.

On a cool/cold day, it will take 15 minutes and 10 miles of driving to get the oil temp to come off the peg and over 150 degrees. By then, I'm almost where I'm going.

I generally baby it for the first 5 miles or 5 minutes. The "peg" is 150 degrees. That's already fairly warm. It's not like the old days of single-vis oil that looks like molasses when cold. Synthetic flows like water at any temperature.

Call me crazy. I'm a 36,000 miles with happy 2000 turbos.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

But once you learn the rate of cooldown, you should be able to estimate.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Shhhhh, neither can I. But it is a safe rule of thumb. Personally, I wait until I see some ....

coolant temp and don't hear the turbos anymore, but I don't drive it hard until the oil warms up. As the oil also cools the bottoms of the pistons and the turbos, a couple of stoplights runs will heat it up quickly.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default yeah you are right, but EGT is an approximation for oil temp as it leaves the turbo

and i dont like leaving my laptop in the car most places!

i cant follow the rules either but have 94k and i'm a paranoid owner...
Old 03-30-2004, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well, there is your problem. A Palm is much easier use.

Quick Reply: avoid cooking turbos - temp probe(s)/thermocouples?