A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Back from the auto show...long!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2002, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back from the auto show...long!!

Lots and lots of people. Saw alot of cars of course. Neat concept cars. Glad to say that after the show I still believe I made the right choice with the 4.2! The new S Jag's interior is cramped, very little leg room. Also, the fit and finish not as nice as the Audi. The X type is puny inside, but nice. The Volvo S80 is nice, but not a performer and too much plastic inside. BMW 5 Series on its last legs. M5 interior was nicely finished but still not up to Audi standard. Regular 5 series no comparison IMHO. Mercedes I believe is killing themselves offering a 25,000 car with cheap plastic and cloth interior. Looked inside like a Honda Civic. How 'bout waiting at a light in your 70K+ S Class and an 18 year old pulls up next to you in his 3 pointed star clothmobile? Sad. Mercedes' new SL was beautiful, however. Nicer than in the pictures. CLK very nice, was a contender before I chose the 4.2. Lexus LS430 interior was beautiful and the nav system with its touch screen amazing. The Infiniti Q45 was pretty neat and I loved the reclining back seats. It was like sitting in a Lay Z Boy!

Now to Audi. Beautiful display focusing on the A4 convertible. They actually had 3 A4 convertibles affixed to a track on the wall!! Coolest display at the show. Saw my beautiful 4.2 in Ming Blue with vanilla interior. I liked it, although the blue interior dash, door, etc. was a little too much for me. Cool look though, especially the light colored wood accents. As for information on the RS6: Nothing! The guy I spoke with was only good at handing you a brochure, knew little of the product line. Oh well. Maybe someone else who went to the show got lucky and gained some info.

Finally, Audi had an A8 and S8 on display but unlike the A6 and A4, you couldn't get inside the cars! Why? Is it because these cars are too expensive? Makes no sense to me. If they want to sell the cars, let people in them. There is alot of moolah in NYC, why not try to woo someone into getting an A8 instead of the S or 740? People had access to all the Merecedes, even the $96K SL. Same with the BMW 740 and M5, Lexus LS430, etc. Not too smart limiting access to the A8 IMHO. Alot of people choose their car after going to the auto show. I know I did 3 years ago when I decided to get the Volvo S70 AWD. I wasn't even considering that car before I saw it at the show. But hey, maybe I weird that way?

Finally (for real). They had aLand Rover all terrain baby carriage. Three wheels with some kind of shock absorbing system so your kid doesn't crack his egg head when your hiking I guess. Suede and leather for the kid to sit in (and puke, pee, etc.) Price? Land Rover rep says only $7,500 for the baby carriage (no motor, you push it yourself).
Old 03-30-2002, 10:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nice write up, thanks!

Sorry to hear about your dent - it will be a memory soon. Those al-you-min-ium fenders are rare in the supply chain. I hear that the A8's are a real bear if they're damaged as everything is aluminum. I just got back my Z3 after 3 weeks in the shop - it's actually better than new...not that I can help you with your encouragement as your car is <i>brand</i> new!

I agree that the Audi interiors are unsurpassed in quality of assembly and materials. The interior was one of the key pieces in my purchase decision. Further agreed that the 5xx interior is comparatively speaking: a piece of crap. I still love the look of a 5 with sport package, but I remember what the interior is like and have only warm-and-fuzzy feelings about my decision to go with the A6. Plus the positively small rear seat room and trunk...no contest.

I have to say that I don't mind so much the idea of cheaper cars alongside their big brothers. I wouldn't feel weird if folks were pulling up to me in their A2 city cars. Wish I could see new SL in person. I went to a BMW/Mini dealer on Friday and took a look at the Mini's, but there were no 745i's around to check out.

It is definitely weird when the manufacturers close off their cars - if you can't get in it and smooch it a little, then how are you going to fall in love? You're not weird that way, it's lame.

Land Rover pram? $7500? I'm laughing and puking at the same time, a dangerous situation!
Old 03-31-2002, 06:27 AM

Default Nice post - Sounds like the NYC auto show is far superior to the LA Auto show except

that we could actually sit in the cars, even the S8. There was no Avantissimo, and I don't recall A4's attached to the wall (I believe that is something I would remember), but I do remember that they were right next to BMW as usual. Of course, everyone was crowding around the new 745i and the Mini display, so the only thing that would have stolen the show for Audi is if they put their RS6 or Avantissimo there, but no such luck.

Interesting bit on the Land Rover baby carriage - I do wonder why they spent a good deal of time (likely) designing and producing a $7,500 baby carriage when they will probably sell 20 of them or so...Guess they are making up for it in the price increases for the Range Rover.
Old 03-31-2002, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wow! A REAL auto show...The Pittsburgh show was like a mall display by comparison.
Old 03-31-2002, 09:16 PM

Thats weird about the A8/S8...in Dallas all the models were unlocked. Even the S6.